Pioneer Press: Kenisha Bell (with a Fernstrom note)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/21/gophers-kenisha-bell-learned-from-big-tens-best/

Kenisha Bell is happy with her decision to transfer to the University of Minnesota women’s basketball program. But there were times last season she wondered just what she’d gotten herself into.

Her first practices with the Gophers were lessons in humility, taught by Big Ten Player of the Year Rachel Banham.

“There were some days where it was, like, I couldn’t stop her from making shots,” Bell said. “Or she’d be guarding me and steal the ball. But she’d always tell me why she did it, how she did it.”

Banham finished her career as the Big Ten’s all-time leading scorer and was selected by Connecticut in the first round of the WNBA Draft.

Bell’s the transition from Banham’s apprentice to Minnesota’s starting point guard has so far been a success. A 2014 Bloomington Kennedy graduate, Bell leads the Gophers in assists (59) and steals (25) and is second in scoring with a 16.6-point average.

“She took the reins and has just been running with it,” coach Marlene Stollings said. “All the way back in the summer, she knew that once she was ready to go, then it was her time and her position to lose. She’s just very comfortable leading a team.”

...“They lost a big part of the team in Rachel,” Bell said. “And I felt like they needed a guard to come in and try to replace what she had. I’ve still got a lot to improve on to get to that spot, but I just try to push the ball, make assists, get going and play defense. I think I could really be a motivator, a leader for our team.”

Stollings believes that’s already happening. She pointed out a moment in the Gophers’ win over Belmont on Dec. 14 at Williams Arena when Bell applied some of Banham’s tough lessons.

“They subbed out their starting point guard and (Bell) picked up the sub, took the ball away from her right away and scored,” Stollings said. “We ended up winning by one, and I talked to her and said, ‘How big was that one play, that one possession?’ and encoured her to do that a little bit more, because she has that ability.”

Fernstrom:

“We have high expectations for (Fernstrom),” Stollings said. “She is a prototype of the Big Ten 5 player, and we love what she brings in terms of physicality, and I love the ability to score at the basket, her defensive presence in the paint, and she has a really high basketball IQ.

“Jessie’s playing really well right now, so those two will compete and fight it out, but we want (Fernstrom) to come in and help us immediately.”

Stollings and her "competitions". :mad:
How about playing them together?

How about if we run a competition for the head coaching job? Now we're talking!

I doubt if having Fernstrom and Edwards on the floor at the same time will be effective. I haven't seen Edwards do much at all away from the basket and she doesn't appear to be someone who can drive to the hoop. She hit a couple of 10- to 12-foot jumpers in the last game against Belmont, but I'd have to see more of that before I'd believe that she could play high/low with Fernstrom. I'm thinking that Tinjum and Hedstrom will share time at the remaining spot.

I doubt if having Fernstrom and Edwards on the floor at the same time will be effective. I haven't seen Edwards do much at all away from the basket and she doesn't appear to be someone who can drive to the hoop. She hit a couple of 10- to 12-foot jumpers in the last game against Belmont, but I'd have to see more of that before I'd believe that she could play high/low with Fernstrom. I'm thinking that Tinjum and Hedstrom will share time at the remaining spot.

This is kinda odd because you say you haven't seen enough of Edwards, and yet you haven't seen anything from Fernstrom. Did you see who won the Belmont game for Minny? Yeah, that was Edwards.

Shades, I think you misunderstood me. I said that "I haven't seen Edwards do much away from the basket". I've seen almost all of this year's games and last year's games...enough to think that Edwards probably isn't going to be much of an offensive threat when she's away from the basket. And, I'd be surprised if Stollings intends to play Fernstrom away from the basket on the offensive end. And what happens on the defensive end when those two are on the floor at the same time. I don't know if you've been one of those encouraging more use of the man-to-man defense, but that won't be an option if both Edwards and Fernstrom are on the floor at the same time. And I know you've commented before about Edwards' effectiveness in taking charges. She won't be taking as many of those charges if she's forced to play the perimeter on defense. Just my thoughts... but I'd like it if time proves me wrong.

It's not like Hedstrom or Tinjum are huge offensive threats. With both Fernstrom and Edwards out there, they'd have a huge advantage in the rebounding game. They already have enough players that take the shots and miss shots. Now we need people to rebound those missed shots and defend. And yes, Edwards can take charges away from the basket. Remember the infamous screen that freed up Wagner for the game-winning shot against Ohio State? Anybody got a video?

I love that play. I could watch that about 50 times and still not get tired of it.

I know it's not exactly the same as taking a charge, but the same kind of skills involved. Getting to the right spot and getting set. And I don't believe all of her drawn charges have been that close to the basket.

Anyway, I hope it's at least something they're considering. Usually it's not such a bad thing when your 5 best players are getting the most court time.

I think Tinjun has to start. She can put the ball on the floor. Don't know if Fernstrom has that type of game. If She does , I would run some high/low post with Edwards down low
Starters:
Wagner
Bell
Hubbard
Tinjun
Fernstrom
Summary: With this lineup you've possibly 5 players that can put the ball on the floor. That is a huge advantage. Hedstrom and Edwards would be the first two off the bench followed by Brunson and then I would go with Bello to get some game under her belt over Barns.

Top Bottom