Phoenix hotel/airfare thread

Jike Spingleton

Traveling Champ
Reaction score
Give your updates here.

Looks like $400 is about as low as airfare goes. A big reason why I wanted to go to Orlando: price. Phoenix is not a cheap place to get to.

For those in close proximity to Sioux Falls, Fargo, Duluth, Rochester you may consider looking at Allegiantair as they fly into Phoenix and Lost Wages on specific days.

As normal, CC is overpriced for a minor bowl game.

Get me a $350 flight, $100 room and a rental car at $100 or less and a two person trip is. $450 per person for 3 nights. (All are atainable on Orbitz, except for the flight)

Our alumni association needs to do a better job of providing affordable flights to their fans.

Get me a $350 flight, $100 room and a rental car at $100 or less and a two person trip is. $450 per person for 3 nights. (All are atainable on Orbitz, except for the flight)

Our alumni association needs to do a better job of providing affordable flights to their fans.

I agree. I have found better through Yahoo Travel as well. If I go I will build my own package and buy the ticket through the U.

Hear, hear.

We have reserved the Days Inn ASU for $50/night. Going to keep looking for airfare over the next few days.

Too bad Southwest has not begun flying out of the Humphrey terminal, yet!

Yes, Calling Southwest, Please setup a few flights to get more Gopher fans out Bowlin!

I should have said I wasn't necessarily endorsing that CC trip, I was simply showing people it was available. You can definitely plan your own trip for cheaper.

There are some great hotels/restaurants/bars within walking distance around the stadium/airport. I'd say if you plan to hang out with Gopher fans around Mill Avenue for the three nights, have a few drinks, and go to the game, you probably don't even need to mess with a rental car. Hotel courtesy van will take you to/from the hotel to/from the airport; you can walk to the bars and restaurants and walk to the stadium. It's a great college town with a dynamic nightlife right there by the stadium.

Ehhh, Southwest to Phoenix from Chicago gives me no options for under $450, and most of the choices are over $500.

I can't really pull off the vacation days for this trip so I'll be opting out.

Ehhh, Southwest to Phoenix from Chicago gives me no options for under $450, and most of the choices are over $500.

I can't really pull off the vacation days for this trip so I'll be opting out.

What many people don't realize about Southwest is that it isn't really all that cheap unless you book a trip way in advance or the day before. The maximum fares are all clearly shown, so it makes booking a business trip last minute easy. For leisure travel, it is usually only cheaper if you have a few months to plan ahead.

agranny "Granny Gopher and I are in!

All Bowls are great but these people really know how to make this a great winter break!

GO GO GOPHERS!

In 2006 we flew into Vegas for several hundred bucks cheaper and rented a car to drive to Phoenix. It was about a 4 hour car ride which isn't too bad.

I just checked priceline and there is a flight from MSP to Vegas with a 1 hour stop in Salt Lake on the 29th with a non-stop return flight on the 1st for $250. That's the best deal I see...although it would require you to do your partying on the night of the 30th rather than the 31st though. :-(

Now that I am locked into my deal I will share:

United Airlines book a multi-city flight
Minneapolis to Denver leaving at 610am 12/30
Denver to Phoenix leaving at 825am 12/30
Phoenix to Denver leaving 944am 1/1
Denver to Minneapolis leaving 1227pm 1/1

Total fare: $335.

I played with options and the rates went up to over $1200 for similar flights at different times, so this specific combination seems to be special.

In 2006 we flew into Vegas for several hundred bucks cheaper and rented a car to drive to Phoenix. It was about a 4 hour car ride which isn't too bad.
4 hours is underestimating it a bit. If you go through Flagstaff it's more like 6 hours. Pretty drive though.

4 hours is underestimating it a bit. If you go through Flagstaff it's more like 6 hours. Pretty drive though.

If you take hwy 93 it's quicker...but you are right, 4 hours might be pushing it.

I'm retired. I'm gonna drive all the way. I'm gonna sleep in my car on the way. I'm gonna have a cooler full of food to eat on the way. I'm gonna have a 2nd cooler full of beer to enjoy at the end of each day. I'm gonna sleep in my car in the stadium parking lot (or the closest PL I can find). I will spend less than $998 for a month vacation, unless I get arrested for vagrancy. I will then plead insanity, because I am insane. Gotta Love It!!!!!!!!!

Another option - if you play around with this site - is to fly out of Sioux Falls or out of Fargo. Allegiant Air runs some limited non-stops to/from Phoenix from both of these airports. Looks like you can get a roundtrip (nonstop) for less than $400 out of Sioux Falls and just a little over $400 out of Fargo. At least you could when I punched in certain dates around the bowl game. Also can get a good combo deal with a hotel.

http://www.allegiantair.com/

Another option - if you play around with this site - is to fly out of Sioux Falls or out of Fargo. Allegiant Air runs some limited non-stops to/from Phoenix from both of these airports. Looks like you can get a roundtrip (nonstop) for less than $400 out of Sioux Falls and just a little over $400 out of Fargo. At least you could when I punched in certain dates around the bowl game. Also can get a good combo deal with a hotel.

http://www.allegiantair.com/

I was able to pull $316 round trip Sioux Falls to Mesa, but I'll take the extra $20 for the 1 hour layover in Denver instead of having to drive to Sioux Falls. If you live in between airports, however, then this is a good deal.

The costs for airfare are definitely frustrating. I have relatives in Phoenix so already have a place to stay and use of a car. I find it hard to believe that somebody couldn't fill a charter plane round trip for much less than what I am finding through the airlines.

Top Bottom