Phillip Fulmer

'ol Country Bear's tank is empty. There's a reason no one's beating a path to his trailer door.

Are you kidding me? Not sure if you were around here when Holtz was brought in, but the Southern Gentleman thing was huge, he had the whole State charmed. I remember they even printed off a whole special section of the sports page dedicated to him.

Lou Holtz is from a town in Ohio along the Pennsylvania border.

Just for the record, the Fulmer Cup was renamed numerous times when Tennessee could no longer keep pace with the criminal dynasties at other schools.

OK, but the year before he was fired he went 10-4, 6-2 in conference (T1 in division) and won the outback bowl. I would say to fire a guy one year after that is super high and unrealistic expectations. in his final 10 years (not going all the way back to his Nat'l championship or back to back conf titles) He won 10 games 4 times, and 9 2 more times. Finished the year in the top 25 7times (including 12th the year before firing), top ten twice.

UT is fringe Blue Blood program like Penn State. They have a stadium that holds more than 100,000 and the resources that go along with it. A mediocre coach should win in that environment with the consistency that you are pointing to. How many games per year did Tennessee play where they had less talent than their opponent? I think their record reflects that.

But didn't Fulmer have a lot to do with everything you laid out?

You... isn't Fulmer mainly responsible for that bar being raised to the highest level at Tenn.?

You... isn't Fulmer mainly responsible for that bar being raised to the highest level at Tenn.?

UT has 5 national championships, Fulmer only has 1 of them.

UT has 16 conference championships, Fulmer only has 2 of them.

Did he have a part in sustaining success, yes. However, saying Fulmer is "mainly responsible for that bar being raised" is a slap in the face to Robert Neyland and others that came before Fulmer. Heck, Fulmer's predecessor, Johnny Majors, won 3 conference championships in a shorter tenure.

He was turned down by Iowa State and several other schools. Looks like leftovers to me.

I'll vote against. I am really not sure that Phil Fulmer isn't just a product of circumstances--100,000+ / week rabid fan base, a couple of great recruits (Peyton Manning)--that allowed him to fluorish. I just don't see him coming here, without those advantages, and making them happen...at age 60...at the U...with half (if) as many supporters....and a less supportive administration...and less fertile recruiting grounds

This is nonsense.

Fulmer wants to coach but Minnesota is a terrible fit for the guy.

1. Fulmer isn't all that young.
2. Fulmer hasn't built anything on his own, he inherited a top 20 program from Johnny Majors
3. Fulmer is a true southerner who I don't believe would leave the south
4. Fulmer's recruiting pipeline is the southeast, Minnesota isn't ready to compete with FL, AL, and GA for top recruits.

Top Bottom