Philip Nelson: “I have the physical attributes to make a difference right away."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...l-attributes-to-make-a-difference-right-away/

“I’m 6-2, 223 right now,” Nelson said. “I can’t get much bigger. I run a 4.5 in the 40, so I can’t get much faster. Right now it’s all about spring ball coming in and seeing how well I can transition learning the offense and learning the ropes through all that.”

Nelson recognizes the value of redshirting next season if MarQueis Gray is the Gophers’ starting quarterback and Max Shortell is the backup.

“But at the same time, I think I have the physical attributes to make a difference right away,” he said. “They are going to play whoever they feel gives them the best chance to win ball games. That’s something I’m definitely preparing for.”

Go Gophers!!

It's pretty tough to read those articles and not get jacked to see this guy take the field.

As I'm sure is the case with other Wisconsinites who attended the U, I can definitely relate to what Nelson's going through right now. Up until senior year of high school, I was dead set on going to Madison. I literally didn't have a plan B. To the amazement of my high-and-mighty UW friends, I couldn't be happier with how things turned out. I'm sure Nelson will feel the same way.

One more reason to like the kid.

It's pretty tough to read those articles and not get jacked to see this guy take the field.

As I'm sure is the case with other Wisconsinites who attended the U, I can definitely relate to what Nelson's going through right now. Up until senior year of high school, I was dead set on going to Madison. I literally didn't have a plan B. To the amazement of my high-and-mighty UW friends, I couldn't be happier with how things turned out. I'm sure Nelson will feel the same way.

One more reason to like the kid.

I'm a MN kid, so I can't relate. But it is amazing in WI how the idea (to a lot of kids) that going to Madison is simply a foregone conclusion. It's probably part of the reason why Becky is so successful.

To the original point of the article, like Rose said, the kid has about the perfect attitude you'd want in a QB. It's part of what I like about Shortell. I'm not interested in any QB that didn't think he could come in and play right away. I don't think either of them should play right away, but you don't see a lot of quality timid QBs. Nelson and Shortell don't seem like babies, so they'll RS or backup without complaining, but I guarantee that both Nelson and Shortell think they will be the best QB in camp.

Piece on Nelson From Strib.

Link

Sorry I missed the other thread.

BS on the forty time.

If he runs a legitimate 4.5 flat, he'd already be one of the fastest players we've ever had.

Good bit! I couldn't be more excited about Nelson the former Bucky fan. I'd love to see him QB us over Wisky his years at the helm.

"There's something that intrigues me about being part of a turnaround in your home state," Nelson said. "Anybody can go to a school that has a great tradition, but six years from now, if this thing is turned around and I'm a part of it, you'll be saying, 'This was the class that did it, this was the team.' I want to be part of that."

Says it all.

BS on the forty time.

If he runs a legitimate 4.5 flat, he'd already be one of the fastest players we've ever had.

Everyone needs to understand that it is most likely hand-timed. It is not too far fetched that he runs a 4.5 40 time. The conversion in the 40 for hand-timed is anywhere from .24-.28. So he would run an electronic timed 4.75 or so.

I went to a high school in se minnesota. A kid I played football with won the state class A 100 meter dash. His 40 time was a hand held 4.45. It was timed by college coaches at the NDSU football camp before his senior year. Again, electronically that is closer to a 4.6 or 4.7

Everyone needs to understand that it is most likely hand-timed. It is not too far fetched that he runs a 4.5 40 time. The conversion in the 40 for hand-timed is anywhere from .24-.28. So he would run an electronic timed 4.75 or so.

I went to a high school in se minnesota. A kid I played football with won the state class A 100 meter dash. His 40 time was a hand held 4.45. It was timed by college coaches at the NDSU football camp before his senior year. Again, electronically that is closer to a 4.6 or 4.7

That's the thing, though; a hand-held 40 time isn't really a 40 time. It's just an excuse to use a less-precise measurement to make the time appear better than it is to the unknowledgeable observer. If people weren't interested in being duplicitous, they would expressly state "hand-held" before quoting any 40 time. There is a reason that they don't; again, they want to create confusion and attempt to make the listener/reader think that it is a legitimate, accurately measured 40-yard dash time.

There is a Fairy Tale in the making in Gopherland. This kid is going to be a big part of it. As a long suffering fan, I am going to sit back and enjoy the ride the next five years or so.

The 40 time is ridiculously overrated. They should time you in full pads with James Harrison and Troy Polamalu nipping at your heels. That would give a more accurate measurement of "football speed".

I hear what you say, Philip, but I'll trust what you do.

With the continuity of Kill and his staff, combined with the recent turnover at Wisky, there's not a doubt in my mind that during his 4 years of actual eligibility (somewhat assuming he RS next year) the Gophers will have a winning record against Wisky during Nelson's playing days at Minny. Mark it down.

That's the thing, though; a hand-held 40 time isn't really a 40 time. It's just an excuse to use a less-precise measurement to make the time appear better than it is to the unknowledgeable observer. If people weren't interested in being duplicitous, they would expressly state "hand-held" before quoting any 40 time. There is a reason that they don't; again, they want to create confusion and attempt to make the listener/reader think that it is a legitimate, accurately measured 40-yard dash time.

Hand held 40 times have been reported forever and there is a reason scouts line up at the end of the 40 at the combine, with stopwatches in hand. It's not just the players that like the faster times, scouts/coaches like them too.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...l-attributes-to-make-a-difference-right-away/

“I’m 6-2, 223 right now,” Nelson said. “I can’t get much bigger. I run a 4.5 in the 40, so I can’t get much faster. Right now it’s all about spring ball coming in and seeing how well I can transition learning the offense and learning the ropes through all that.”

Nelson recognizes the value of redshirting next season if MarQueis Gray is the Gophers’ starting quarterback and Max Shortell is the backup.

“But at the same time, I think I have the physical attributes to make a difference right away,” he said. “They are going to play whoever they feel gives them the best chance to win ball games. That’s something I’m definitely preparing for.”

Go Gophers!!

At this level, a "little" bigger, and a "little" faster go a long way. It can be the difference between getting off that shot downfield, versus taking a sack instead. For everyone involved, I think the team is better served if MarQueis takes that starting role and runs with it. Just hope he can build off what was a relatively successful 2nd half to the season and carries that momentum into the spring and fall.

You've got to hand it to Kill and his staff for identifying Nelson early. Remember, we were his 1st offer, and many thought at the time Joe Mollberg was the top QB prospect in the state. The fact that they clearly recognized his talent early on and made him a priority should gives me some confidence about the rest of our recruiting class despite the lack of stars/offers......

"There's something that intrigues me about being part of a turnaround in your home state," Nelson said. "Anybody can go to a school that has a great tradition, but six years from now, if this thing is turned around and I'm a part of it, you'll be saying, 'This was the class that did it, this was the team.' I want to be part of that."

Says it all.

You hear that Andre? ;) Good luck where ever you decide to pick.

Says it all.

+1

You've got to hand it to Kill and his staff for identifying Nelson early. Remember, we were his 1st offer, and many thought at the time Joe Mollberg was the top QB prospect in the state. The fact that they clearly recognized his talent early on and made him a priority should gives me some confidence about the rest of our recruiting class despite the lack of stars/offers......

The fact that they recognized his talent AND were actually able to bring him in. We'll never know, but I would be curious to see what sort of offers he would have received if he was uncommitted and had an open recruitment. I'm very happy we'll never know!

this nelson kid has impressed me from day one... he has an arogance about him that your starting qb should and he has boughten into kills plan and philosophy... he made his comitment and has stuck by it, even as his stock has grown.. i cant wait to see his gopher led teams in the next few years..

Man I wish there was a way we could get all discussion of 40 times banned from this board because it always turns into the exact same thread in terms of those that believe in them and those that doubt them.

On the subject of Nelson's comments and the cockiness/confidence behind them I personally love it. Even if I sincerely hope he does not have to play next year I like the idea of him feeling like he could if need be. Your backup QB's need to have the confidence that if they are handed the ball they will never give it up. We will find out if he can back up the talk once he gets going with practices but I love the attitude especially when it comes from a QB.

Top Bottom