Phil Steele's updated conference predictions

Ouch....but gives you an idea of how the 3-0 has registerd nationally at this point. Would like to think we are going to win some of those games at the same time would feel much more confident if the Wisconsin, Iowa, and Illinois games were all at home as opposed to on the road. Of the opponents we play in the BIG this year those three have looked the most vulnerable to this point.

There's absolutely no way we'll be winless in B1G play. Steele is overrated.

Funny on ESPN a few days ago over a phone interview he mentioned how Minnesota and Northwestern could be undefeated when they meet up.

Those are bogus. Look at the Big 12. No way is K State going 2-7 in conf.

Amazing. Someone pays him to smoke his breakfast and put that much thought into it?

He isn't even trying. He has Indiana turning in a better record than the Gophers by beating Iowa for their only B1G win.

Nationally... Gophers are being viewed like recent Indiana squads that would win most of their non conference games. That is the only explaination I can think of that would lead to a prediction like that. Gophers are obviously improved, probably much improved. Have won 2 B1G games each of the last two seasons. B1G is obviously down this year. How you can add all that together and come up with 0-8 is a head scratcher.

I've decided it's not even worth clicking on the link.

Phil Steele so enjoys congratulating Phil Steele on his predictions coming to fruition that I'm surprised he'd throw this laziness out there.

Phil Steele is actually one of the most respected college football journalists out there. His preseason mags and predictions are the best in the business. Having said that, this does not make much sense. The big ten has looked the worst as its been in a decade and we won't win 1 conference game? Gotta disagree

Steele may be wrong in his predictions but there is not one conference game the Gophers will be considered the favorite. Going 0-8 isn't that far fetched when looking at the schedule.

The Gophs are one bad outing against Syracuse to convincing 99% of us the Phil S is correct.

I don't mind if the Gophers stay under the radar for a while.

We can talk all we want, but there is only one way to prove him wrong...Go out and kick some ass and take names.

The Gophers have won 2 B1G conference games each of the last two years. We are a better team than either of those seasons and the Big Ten as a whole is down this year. That should tell us that we are good for at least a win or 2 this season. Its easy to say we should win a couple games this year, however, looking at the schedule I can't pick out a game where I feel confident we will win. Iowa on the road? Purdue at home? Ill on the road? I can see where if you look at the schedule on a game by game basis, it would be tough to pencil in a win when we will probably be underdogs for every game.

I think those predictions are based mostly on calculations, not common sense. He uses stats that he considers important. I think he's simply reporting what the numbers show.

I promise you there is zero chance Nebraska goes 8-0 in the Big Ten. No way Michigan loses 4 games in the Big Ten. Purdue ain't going 7-1. But, based on the numbers in the non-conference, that apparently is what his formulas are saying. Of course, the non-conference schedules of everyone vary so much, I wouldn't put much stock in these.

We can talk all we want, but there is only one way to prove him wrong...Go out and kick some ass and take names.

Do we HAVE to take names? Can't they just be nameless?:D

I don't mind if the Gophers stay under the radar for a while.

Thank you for posting this Rodent and I happen to share the same opinion. Not going to read much into anything written by prognosticators. While I have purchased his pre-season magazines before, it simply doesn't matter to me what he thinks at this point and time. Sit back, cheer the Gophs on, and watch them improve. We are a 5 to 7 win football team if we win turnover and / or penalty margins in our matchup games.

I bought his college football almanac for the first time this year. Yes it is packed with information. It's also packed with a great deal of self promotion bordering on megalomania. Anyway, he predicted UNLV would be a vastly improved team. He also wrote that several of his models predicted the gophers would make a bowl this year. I think the wrench in his predictive analysis is how unexpected down turns made by teams like Wisconsin and Iowa. But that goes for everyone this year. You had to wonder about the B1G this year. Wisconsin is essentially starting over with new players and coaches, MSU has a new qb and receivers, Iowa has a new offense that doesn't suit them very well, no one foresaw how bad PSU was gonna be hit and Michigan looked absolutely putrid against Alabama after getting BCS hype. We'll have to wait and see, but I can almost guarantee you we won't be 0-8 in conference play. That is just media bias. They have to assemble perfect seasons for their favorite teams.

Top Bottom