Phil Steele: Gophers have 6th best RB room in the country.

Liberty? Liberty? Liberty?
They had a great season last year. But, ehh, the schedule wasn't exactly a gauntlet. They got to see how good they really were at the bowl game.
-------
Win
-------
Bowling Green = 34-24
New Mexico State = 33-17
@Buffalo = 55-27
@FIU = 38-6
Sam Houston = 21-16
@Jacksonville State = 31-13
Middle Tennessee = 42-35
@Western Kentucky = 42-29
Louisiana Tech = 56-30
Old Dominion = 38-10
Massachusetts = 49-25
@UTEP = 42-28
New Mexico St = 49-35

Loss
-------
Oregon = 45-6

I do think we have a really good RB room! The oh, oh thing that jumped out to me was
Game 1, Number 5 North Carolina. We will find out early if we can stop the run. Need our linebackers healthy and performing....our defensive line should be good, which will help a lot...if they are.

How does the 6th best RB room in the country not have a single RB makes any of the top 4 B1G teams? Teams 5-6 must be stacked with Gophers.
well considering teams 1-2 have 2 guys on the list each, it does limit the room

Yea, and they upgraded the passing game to go with that.

Upgraded at QB with a 4-star veteran QB in his last season, Max Brosmer.

Brought in a 4-star wide receiver, Tyler Williams.

They already have a top WR, a top-10 returning WRs in the Big ten WR, Daniel Jackson.

Plus they have a top running game.

Enjoy!

I do think we have a really good RB room! The oh, oh thing that jumped out to me was
Game 1, Number 5 North Carolina. We will find out early if we can stop the run. Need our linebackers healthy and performing....our defensive line should be good, which will help a lot...if they are.
Hopefully, we are a lot more solid at LB with Cody fully healthy and I think all the playing time last year for Baranowski will pay dividends this year. I don't know if people remember that Sori-Marin got thrown in like Baranowski and showed flashes but made quite a few mistakes his first year and then made a nice leap in production the following season. I'm not saying he's going to be Sori-Marin, but if he can make a similar leap and cut down on mistakes it could be big. Nothing beats actual reps on the field.

Anyone who puts Liberty in the top 50 is not paying attention. Total lost of credibility
If you lead the nation in rushing last year and you have all five backs returning I'd say they probably deserve to be included somewhere in the Top 10 if you are paying attention.

If you lead the nation in rushing last year and you have all five backs returning I'd say they probably deserve to be included somewhere in the Top 10 if you are paying attention.
Do you think they would have led the nation if they had played in the SEC or Big 10? I'd say no and it's not even close.

The best part of Gopherhole is the “let’s get really mad at the preseason rankings that don’t like us” and then “salivating over the rankings that do like us.”
I would classify it as the “worse” part of GH.

Hopefully, we are a lot more solid at LB with Cody fully healthy and I think all the playing time last year for Baranowski will pay dividends this year. I don't know if people remember that Sori-Marin got thrown in like Baranowski and showed flashes but made quite a few mistakes his first year and then made a nice leap in production the following season. I'm not saying he's going to be Sori-Marin, but if he can make a similar leap and cut down on mistakes it could be big. Nothing beats actual reps on the field.
The funny thing is MSM still had the stigma of being bad hanging over him during his career from that first year even though he developed into a solid B1G LB.

Hopefully the guys that got thrown out there a bit too early develop and people forget the rough patches!

Anyone who puts Liberty in the top 50 is not paying attention. Total lost of credibility
How many Liberty games did you watch? Not saying you’re right or wrong, but the “prestige” of the school has no bearing.

If the reasoning why the Gophers have a great RB room is "no matter who PJ Fleck plugs in at RB, they produce" do we really have a great run-blocking OL room? Especially since our RBs don't ever get drafted.

Also, part of this is that PJ is a fantasy football manager's dream who picks a single RB and rides him for 30+ carries/game until the wheels fall off, thus making anyone who starts a nice stat producer. Darius Taylor is a great bet for an extremely long-shot Heisman for this reason.

The room that matters here is the O-line room.

I wonder how many actual magazines that outlets like Phil Steele still sell?

back when magazines were a thing, I would always buy one of the pre-season preview mags. I favored Street & Smith for a while, and then I switched to Phil Steele for a few years.

It was great bathroom reading before cell phones were a thing. the team write-ups were the right length for the average trip to the bathroom. I had a buddy who would always go to the can at my place because he said I had better reading material.....

Once I got a smartphone and I could pull up web sites on my phone, that replaced magazines. but it's not quite the same.

I wonder how many actual magazines that outlets like Phil Steele still sell?

back when magazines were a thing, I would always buy one of the pre-season preview mags. I favored Street & Smith for a while, and then I switched to Phil Steele for a few years.

It was great bathroom reading before cell phones were a thing. the team write-ups were the right length for the average trip to the bathroom. I had a buddy who would always go to the can at my place because he said I had better reading material.....

Once I got a smartphone and I could pull up web sites on my phone, that replaced magazines. but it's not quite the same.
So, does your buddy still come over but now take your phone to the crapper?

So, does your buddy still come over but now take your phone to the crapper?

sadly, he passed away a number of years ago after a nasty fight against cancer. I moved away and rarely see that whole group of friends any more, but I stay in touch with a few on social media.

How many Liberty games did you watch? Not saying you’re right or wrong, but the “prestige” of the school has no bearing.
To be fair, the comment was probably directed at the prestige of the schools Liberty plays more than theirs.

Just one game, the Fiesta Bowl, where Oregon actually averaged more yards per carry than Liberty. Also, this was suppose to be about best RB room, Liberty's #2 rusher was the QB with over a 1000 yards. He's not in the RB room.
To be fair, the comment was probably directed at the prestige of the schools Liberty plays more than theirs.
Correct

If the Gophers played that schedule, that would be some fun stats to look at.

The best part of Gopherhole is the “let’s get really mad at the preseason rankings that don’t like us” and then “salivating over the rankings that do like us.”
It’s lazy if they don’t like us. Well thought out if they do.

The best part of every fan message board in America is the “let’s get really mad at the preseason rankings that don’t like us” and then “salivating over the rankings that do like us.”
Fixed it for you

sadly, he passed away a number of years ago after a nasty fight against cancer. I moved away and rarely see that whole group of friends any more, but I stay in touch with a few on social media.
Damn. I'm sorry. My poor attempt at humor backfired. Sorry to hear about the negative side of it.

Just one game, the Fiesta Bowl, where Oregon actually averaged more yards per carry than Liberty. Also, this was suppose to be about best RB room, Liberty's #2 rusher was the QB with over a 1000 yards. He's not in the RB room.

Correct
Oregon should average more, they likely dominated the lines and had superior linebackers and safeties, plus Oregon has a nice rb room as well. That Cooley kid still put up nice numbers despite a bad game script, he could probably put up numbers anywhere.

Oregon should average more, they likely dominated the lines and had superior linebackers and safeties, plus Oregon has a nice rb room as well. That Cooley kid still put up nice numbers despite a bad game script, he could probably put up numbers anywhere.
Yea, I'll agree with you on Cooley. And as you say a dominate line makes a huge difference. Plus, I do like Oregon's RB room.

Top Bottom