Phil Miller's Big Ten Insider: Big Ten rests in hands of BTN TV exec Silverman

This is why Delaney is an evil genius. He and Silverman and Fox are going to leverage the &$@$ out of the East Coast Cable market. If BTN is packaged with YES, the B1G will be an enormous cash cow.

I really hate adding Maryland and Rutgers but I can't say I'd do it differently if I had this scenario in front of me as does Delaney.

This is why Delaney is an evil genius. He and Silverman and Fox are going to leverage the &$@$ out of the East Coast Cable market. If BTN is packaged with YES, the B1G will be an enormous cash cow.

I really hate adding Maryland and Rutgers but I can't say I'd do it differently if I had this scenario in front of me as does Delaney.

I love how people use this term as if it is a good thing, or even something we can accept. Sacrificing history, tradition, fan experience, all at the expense of people who will likely not care about BT football. Simply because there are enough Maryland and possibly a few other school grads (Mich, PSU, maybe Indiana) living in NYC/DC, the rest will pay extra for the privilege of BT schools to pay their coaches more and more money while not making lower tier schools any more competitive than they are today. Great.

I love how people use this term as if it is a good thing, or even something we can accept. Sacrificing history, tradition, fan experience, all at the expense of people who will likely not care about BT football. Simply because there are enough Maryland and possibly a few other school grads (Mich, PSU, maybe Indiana) living in NYC/DC, the rest will pay extra for the privilege of BT schools to pay their coaches more and more money while not making lower tier schools any more competitive than they are today. Great.

My sentiments, too; no one consults the fans, or even the students or teachers. It's all money, with no regard for anything else. I wonder if there was ever any chance of two conferences pooling their income from TV while retaining their geographical identities and cohesion? This would be an alternative to stealing one another's teams.

We're selling our soul, but we're getting a damn good price.

My sentiments, too; no one consults the fans, or even the students or teachers. It's all money, with no regard for anything else. I wonder if there was ever any chance of two conferences pooling their income from TV while retaining their geographical identities and cohesion? This would be an alternative to stealing one another's teams.

IIRC, it was only in the last year or so that the Big Ten had worked out that type of agreement with the Pac-12. But the Pac-12 backed out and games that had been scheduled as part of the deal were cancelled. It is my suspicion that the Big Ten then looked seriously again at expansion.

Sorry, did we offend you having a discussion about what frustrates us regarding the football team we love? I'm just sick of this supply-side economics. Perfect corollary: "Black Friday" sales moving to Thanksgiving day. Didn't hear a single person clamoring for retailers to move not one, but multiple sales to Thanksgiving in the past years. Yet now, Walmart, Target, KMart, Sears, etc all moved sales to multiple times on Thanksgiving day so they can stretch out their consumer base and make more money. And what of us, the consumer? Well, instead of spending time with family (or relaxing, or watching football, or ANYTHING), if we want any of those deals our only option is to go wait in 4+ hour lines during the day. They justify their actions because, lo and behold, people still came out and shopped in droves.

Same thing with this expansion. Was anyone yelling and screaming for more teams, more 11 AM games, fewer games with traditional foes, replacing our end-of-year game with Iowa or Wisconsin with MSU or Illinois in favor of getting teams like Maryland and Rutgers added to the Big Ten? Nebraska was a great get as far as tradition goes (and somewhat geography) but I didn't remember anyone complaining about us needing them before it happened.

They are both AAU members, so the faculty will be 100% in agreement with the additions. And if anyone thinks there are only a few grads living in these markets, your wrong.

Top Bottom