PG play

march madness

Reaction score
I don't believe I am crying wolf but everyone's savior at pg is averaging 1.5 assists a game, 6th on the team, against mid major teams?

Andre is a good player I still don't believe he's a pg. I wish Tubby had recruited a real pg, not a converted pg, someone who has grown up handling the ball and getting teamates involved and sometimes sacrificing their own scoring to be a better leader?

Some of the assists are our bigs throwing it out, and our lack of shooters making some of the guard numbers low...perhaps.

Assist per game per 40 minutes:
Maverick 6.0
Sampson 4.8
Welch 4.7
Austin H 4.2
Rodney 3.6
Andre H 3.4

Statistics don't mean everything but for the starting "pg" to average the 6th best assist totals scares me. I think in our love for a pg who can drive and score we may be overlooking a pg's best attribute?

Am I wrong?

I think you're reading too much into stats. Andre has played very well for a freshmen who has only played in 6 games. I'm more concerned with the junior, Julian who looks lost out there.

It's probably because he only measures 6'0" without shoes.

afurry91 said:
I think you're reading too much into stats. Andre has played very well for a freshmen who has only played in 6 games. I'm more concerned with the junior, Julian who looks lost out there.

Exactly. Way too early to worry about stats. Andre will be a solid guard by the time 64 rolls around.

I think that the more important and telling statistic will end up being turnover/assist ratio. It's too early to make sudden judgments at this point, but it appears as though Andre is coming along nicely... and we all must remember that there will be a learning curve for him as a Freshman in a new position.

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed last night, but I thought Julian was much quicker off of the dribble than he had been in previous games. Hopefully his ankle is fully healed and he'll bring more quickness and energy than he did in the first couple of games.

In the end, we'll NEED BOTH of these guys to play big roles if we hope to advance into/in the NCAA tournament, but it looks as though Tubby is sticking with "Dre" as the starter for now.

-GopherHoopsFan

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed last night, but I thought Julian was much quicker off of the dribble than he had been in previous games. Hopefully his ankle is fully healed and he'll bring more quickness and energy than he did in the first couple of games.-GopherHoopsFan

Same here. I think we really need Julian in the mix. I would like to see a line-up of Hollins, Hollins, Welch, Rodney and Trevor at times.

Time will tell I guess.

Top Bottom