PFF ranked all 130 FBS teams heading into the 2021 season. Here's where every B1G team stands (

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dustin:

Ranking just the Top 25 teams in college football is an incredibly difficult task. Trying to rank all 130 programs at the FBS level is almost impossible.

Still, Pro Football Focus (PFF) accepted that challenge and released its ELO rankings for the upcoming 2021 college football season. Six teams from the B1G cracked the Top 25, with two of those landing in the Top 10.

Here’s a look at where all 14 B1G teams ranked, according to PFF:

No. 3: Ohio State Buckeyes
No. 9: Iowa Hawkeyes
No. 14: Wisconsin Badgers
No. 19: Penn State Nittany Lions
No. 24: Indiana Hoosiers
No. 25: Michigan Wolverines
No. 38: Minnesota Golden Gophers
No. 42: Northwestern Wildcats
No. 51: Nebraska Cornhuskers
No. 56: Maryland Terrapins
No. 70: Michigan State Spartans
No. 80: Purdue Boilermakers
No. 82: Illinois Fighting Illini
No. 108: Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Go Gophers!!

Iowa in the top 10? Did I miss something, I figured they'd be behind WI at least. Anyone know, like did they get a great QB or something?

Iowa in the top 10? Did I miss something, I figured they'd be behind WI at least. Anyone know, like did they get a great QB or something?
They won 6 straight to close 2020 (including a 21 point win over the Badgers). Top 10 might be a little high but they should be very good again in 2021.

Indiana is very overrated
Iowa a little overrated. More a top 15-20 team than top 10.
Michigan a little overrated.
Maryland overrated

Rutgers a little underrated.
Purdue a little underrated.

Last edited:

What? What? Nobody thinks we are at least 13, 14 spots too low???
I do!
We will never have more experience and depth in our lineup.

Iowa makes zero sense. Wisconsin seems too high as well. On the other hand....Maryland could be much better. I have no issues with the ranking of the Gophers. We should be better than that....but no blame based on last year.

Iowa makes zero sense. Wisconsin seems too high as well. On the other hand....Maryland could be much better. I have no issues with the ranking of the Gophers. We should be better than that....but no blame based on last year.
Iowa and Wisconsin too high, yes...but someone has to win the west and it’ll be no worse than a top 20 team

Rutgers won't be the worst team in the league.

Using 2020 results to predict 2021 teams is not logical.

Based on roster talent alone (last five years of recruiting)...Ohio State, Penn State, and Minnesota are ranked properly. Northwestern is the only overrated team (53 vs. 42). All other teams are underrrated but none moreso than Rutgers (53 vs. 108), Michigan State (37 vs. 70), and Purdue (50 vs. 80). As for talent, the rankings would be: Ohio State (#5 nationally), Michigan (#12), Penn State (#14), Nebraska (#22), Maryland (#28), Wisconsin (#31), Iowa (#36), Michigan State (#37), Minnesota (#43), Purdue (#50), Indiana (#53), Northwestern (#53), Rutgers (#53), and Illinois (#63)

Nothing illustrates the errors in recruiting "ratings" for players to rank rosters than this.
NE is rated at #22 in roster talent but over the five years hs not won game against IA or WI , #36 and #31.
Following the rankings might satisfy those who crave certainty even if certainty is based on dreadful data.

Nothing illustrates the errors in recruiting "ratings" for players to rank rosters than this.
NE is rated at #22 in roster talent but over the five years hs not won game against IA or WI , #36 and #31.
Following the rankings might satisfy those who crave certainty even if certainty is based on dreadful data.
Well many of them leave, and Frost and Co might just be bad coaches over there.

Well many of them leave, and Frost and Co might just be bad coaches over there.
Might be bad? SF has an overall record of 12-20 with a 9-17 BIG 10 record since he joined Nebraska. The Huskers' classes at the time they signed were ranked No. 23 in 2018, No. 17 in 2019 and No. 20 in 2020. I would say he has definitely underperformed compared to his recruiting rankings. If your recruiting classes are top 20-25 you should have a winning record while making it to a bowl game at least 2 of the 3 years, If not 3 of the 3 years. He definitely has the talent to be successful.

To be fair, it seems Nebraska has lost a lot of players to the transfer portal or off the field issues.

Might be bad? SF has an overall record of 12-20 with a 9-17 BIG 10 record since he joined Nebraska. The Huskers' classes at the time they signed were ranked No. 23 in 2018, No. 17 in 2019 and No. 20 in 2020. I would say he has definitely underperformed compared to his recruiting rankings. If your recruiting classes are top 20-25 you should have a winning record while making it to a bowl game at least 2 of the 3 years, If not 3 of the 3 years. He definitely has the talent to be successful.

To be fair, it seems Nebraska has lost a lot of players to the transfer portal or off the field issues.
The problem is the hoodies....

Top Bottom