Peter Mortell named Special Teams Player of the Week for the second straight week!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Second week in a row!

Special Teams Player of the Week
Peter Mortell, Minnesota
So., P, Green Bay, Wis./Notre Dame Academy
• Averaged 46 yards per punt, placing three inside the 20-yard line, to help Minnesota defeat Penn State for its eighth victory of the season
• Totaled 184 yards on four punts, including a career-best 62 yarder, while the Nittany Lions had just two return yards on the day
• Placed punts at the Penn State one-, two- and 12-yard line
• Claims his second career Special Teams Player of the Week honor and second in as many weeks
• Last Minnesota Special Teams Player of the Week: Peter Mortell (Nov. 4, 2013)

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111113aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

Had no doubt he would get it again this week! Go Gophers!

Coach Kill used to talk about how important the kicking game would be to winning and sure enough, it is. This team is winning with field position, no mistakes (zero offensive penalties against PSU), winning the TO battle and being tougher than our opponents.

I think Bucky has way more talent than we do, but if they have an off day, we will make them pay!

Kicker and punter are probably the only two positions where we are stronger than Wisconsin. Their kicker (from my old high school) is pretty terrible, though he is finally starting to get a little better. I don't really know much about their punter but he obviously isn't as good as Mortell!

The Gophers have lost 2 games a year because of bad punting over the last 20 years.

Mortell is MVP.

Mortell is quietly having a very nice season. Those 2 punts that were downed near the goal line (can't forget to give credit to the cover guys for getting down there) were key in the victory on Saturday. The best part is not having that constant dread that everytime we punt the ball has a chance to go about 10 yards and sideways. Mortell might not get off a great punt everytime but he rarely seems to shank them.

I have never cheered as much for two punts in my life. That was the story of the second half.

worse bucky memory in my life. Peter Mortell wont let us down again.

This is just great - the kicking game is such an important aspect of football, as Murray Warmath, Bierman and so many other great coaches understood.

This is just great - the kicking game is such an important aspect of football, as Murray Warmath, Bierman and so many other great coaches understood.

You are right, my son. Murray even punted on 2nd down at the end of the quarter so he could have the wind at his back.

Top Bottom