Peter Mortell Named Candidate for Ray Guy Award

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Big Ten:

Eight Big Ten players have been nominated for the 2013 Ray Guy Award, honoring the nation's top punter, the Augusta Sports Council announced on Friday. Illinois' Justin DuVernois, Iowa's Connor Kornbrath, Michigan State's Mike Sadler, Minnesota's Peter Mortell, Nebraska's Sam Foltz, Ohio State's Cameron Johnston, Purdue's Cody Webster and Wisconsin's Drew Meyer were named to the 85-man watch list, which will be narrowed to 10 semifinalists on Nov. 8 and three finalists on Nov. 25, with the winner announced live on ESPN on Dec. 12. Three Big Ten punters have earned the honor since first awarded in 2000, with Ohio State's B.J. Sander the last in 2003.

http://www.bigten.org/blog/2013/10/eight-big-ten-punters-named-candidates-for-ray-guy-award.html

Go Gophers!!

After the last couple seasons, it's been a great surprise to see the punting take that notch up.

Second in the Big Ten in punting - and he's only a sophomore.

How can this be? After 2 1/2 years we've already determined these coaches are in over their heads.

"85 man watch list."

:confused:

Maybe they chose that number because it is the number of scholarship you can have on the team. That is the best I could come up to explain this very large number.

Maybe they chose that number because it is the number of scholarship you can have on the team. That is the best I could come up to explain this very large number.

Uh, yeah, an 85 man watch list for basically 120 possibilities. This is just really, really lame on their part. Why even name a watch list if you're going to have 85 guys on it (and 8 of 12 B1G punters)?

That said, props to Mortell. He's been doing very well and should make a more reasonably sized watch list of 25-30 guys I'd think.

How can this be? After 2 1/2 years we've already determined these coaches are in over their heads.

How is a punter being named to a 85 person watch list in any way shape or form related to whether or not the coaches are in over their head?

How is a punter being named to a 85 person watch list in any way shape or form related to whether or not the coaches are in over their head?

Because some people like messing with your brain.

Top Bottom