Pete Frates, inspiration for 'Ice Bucket Challenge,' dies at age 34

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Pete Frates, the former Boston College baseball captain who inspired people around the world to dump buckets of ice water over their heads to raise millions of dollars for Lou Gehrig's disease research, has died, according to his family. He was 34.

Frates was 27 years old in 2012 when he was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Following his diagnosis, the Beverly, Massachusetts, native dedicated himself to finding a cure for the disease, which weakens muscles and impairs physical functioning. There is no known cure.

At the time, Frates said the battle against the disease "is everything now. It's my life's work. It's what I believe the big man upstairs has put me here to do."

A statement from his family, released through Boston College, noted Frates' ability to inspire others.

"A natural born leader and the ultimate teammate, Pete was a role model for all, especially young athletes, who looked up to him for his bravery and unwavering positive spirit in the face of adversity," the Frates family said. "He was a noble fighter who inspired us all to use our talents and strengths in the service of others.

There are fewer worse diseases. Even cancer diagnoses usually result in some hope. I wish we would use more of our resources to finding a cure for this and other neurological diseases.

Top Bottom