Perhaps Slightly OT - Interesting Nonetheless

spermophilus

Reaction score
The 4 starting QBs in yesterday's NFL championship games were: Flacco - 3 star recruit to Pittsburgh (ended up at Delaware), Ryan - 3 star recruit to B.C., Kaepernick - 3 star recruit to Nevada (1 offer), and Tom Brady, whose story of being a sometime 2nd fiddle to Drew Henson at Michigan, and falling to pick #199 (or thereabouts) in the NFL draft are well documented.

Note! I am posting this solely for in inherent interest of those facts, and NOT to restart the whole "stars don't" versus "stars do" matter argument.

Perhaps it is just a testament to some kids maturing, or blossoming later, than others. The NFL QB thing is a real crapshoot it appears. There are those are supposed to wow - and do: Elway, Manning, Marino, recently Luck and Griffin (small, small sample size), those that aren't supposed to wow and do: Montana, Brady, recently Kaepernick and Wilson (again, very small sample size), and those that are supposed to, and don't: Leaf, Leinart, V. Young, and recently Gabbert, Sanchez, Tebow (this list is really, really, long).

Simply . . . interesting.

That is interesting. I am going to have to disagree with you that Tebow was supposed to wow however. He was projected to be a 3rd round pick at best until McDaniels reached up to get him. Most people never even expected him to be a quarterback, I would actually say he surprised most with how well he played (although I still don't think he's a very good NFL quarterback).

Yes that is interesting. I didn't know very much about Kapernick until this season, but man that young man has some nice skills. He was delivering the ball on the money for most of the day yesterday and with zip.

Watching the QB injuries this year still makes me think that: if you have a talented QB (which I think the Gophers have with Nelson), try to limit the amount of hits he takes.

WR is another position. Of the top 23 WR this year in the NFL:
- 9 came from non-BCS programs (includes Steve Smith since Utah was not a BCS school when he attended)
- 6 came from average or below average BCS programs (MN, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Syracuse)
- 8 came from good to great programs

Of the 23, just as many came from Kentucky (2) as all the other SEC schools combined.

I could be wrong, but it seems like certain positions are dominated by players from top schools while others not so much. OL and CB seem to be made up of alumni from top programs.

Winning Super Bowl QB's and their schools - looks like we'll add Delaware or Nevada in a couple of weeks.

Alabama - Starr, Namath, Stabler
Purdue - Dawson, Griese, Brees
Louisville - Unitas
Navy - Stabauch
Louisiana Tech - Bradshaw
Notre Dame - Theisman, Montana
Stanford - Plunkett, Elway
BYU - Mc Mahon, Young
Grambling - Williams
West Virginia - Hostetler
Washington St - Rypien
OU / UCLA - Aikman
Southern Miss - Favre
UNI - Warner
Fresno St. - Dilfer
Florida St. - Johnson
Michigan - Brady
Miami (OH) - Roethlisberger
Tennessee - P. Manning
Mississippi - E. Manning

Winning Super Bowl QB's and their schools - looks like we'll add Delaware or Nevada in a couple of weeks.

Louisville - Unitas
Navy - Stabauch
BYU - Mc Mahon, Young
Grambling - Williams
Washington St - Rypien
OU / UCLA - Aikman
Southern Miss - Favre
UNI - Warner
Fresno St. - Dilfer
Florida St. - Johnson
Michigan - Brady
Tennessee - P. Manning
Mississippi - E. Manning

Add Phil Simms, MVP of SB XXI. Went to a school that no longer exists, Morehead State. Not to be confused with our Moorhead State.

TMNwebheader.jpg

January 18, 2013
MSU closed for ‘MLK Day’
In observance of the Dr. Martin L. King Jr. holiday, Morehead State University will be closed Monday, Jan. 21.

Why would you close a University that no longer exists?

Louisville - Unitas
Navy - Stabauch
BYU - Mc Mahon, Young
Grambling - Williams
Washington St - Rypien
OU / UCLA - Aikman
Southern Miss - Favre
UNI - Warner
Fresno St. - Dilfer
Florida St. - Johnson
Michigan - Brady
Tennessee - P. Manning
Mississippi - E. Manning

Cal- Aaron Rodgers

Louisville - Unitas
Navy - Stabauch
BYU - Mc Mahon, Young
Grambling - Williams
Washington St - Rypien
OU / UCLA - Aikman
Southern Miss - Favre
UNI - Warner
Fresno St. - Dilfer
Florida St. - Johnson
Michigan - Brady
Tennessee - P. Manning
Mississippi - E. Manning

UCF-Daunte Culpepper

I think I heard a stat that no U of MN QB has ever thrown a TD pass in the NFL. Anyone know if that is that true? I think there's have been U of MN players that have thrown TD passes (Nagurski), but never a QB.

I think I heard a stat that no U of MN QB has ever thrown a TD pass in the NFL. Anyone know if that is that true? I think there's have been U of MN players that have thrown TD passes (Nagurski), but never a QB.

No, it's not true. Mike Hohensee and Spergon Wynn both threw TD passes in the NFL.

did Wynn throw a pass for the U?

I doubt it. Wynn redshirted in 1995, and was a RS Fr in 1996 when Sauter was the starter. He was backed up by Rob Jones, Derek Rackley, and Billy Cockerham, so I very much doubt Wynn saw the field for the U. He then transferred to SW Texas St. (presumably with the assistance of Wacker, their old HC), sat out 1997, and played in 1998 and 1999 before being drafted into the NFL.

I doubt it. Wynn redshirted in 1995, and was a RS Fr in 1996 when Sauter was the starter. He was backed up by Rob Jones, Derek Rackley, and Billy Cockerham, so I very much doubt Wynn saw the field for the U. He then transferred to SW Texas St. (presumably with the assistance of Wacker, their old HC), sat out 1997, and played in 1998 and 1999 before being drafted into the NFL.

In high school I thought I was a gopher fan (knew the starters and what not), but I had no idea Wynn was actually on the team at one point.

Top Bottom