Penn Live: Is Penn State-Minnesota a must-win for the Lions?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Penn Live:

For program morale, for a easier path to a bowl game, and for more reasons than one can count, Penn State's Saturday meeting with Minnesota is a must-win for James Franklin's 2-2 Nittany Lions.

It's a label that doesn't come lightly, as there is plenty of logic in the school of thought that says declaring one game as so pivotal is foolish, especially this early in the season, and yet, it's hard to see this meeting with the Gophers, for the suddenly relevant Governor's Victory Bell, any other way.

Calling the trophy, which only exists because the Big Ten felt it necessary to manufacture "rivals" for Penn State when it joined the Big Ten, relevant would be silly in most cases, but considering it goes to the winning side, allowing it to go back to Minnesota with Tracey Claeys team would equal another setback, another missed opportunity to right the ship, and more questions than answers for the Lions five weeks into the college football season.

Minnesota can be had defensively, as it seems a bit prone to missing tackles and might not matchup all that well with Penn State's spread attack. But, like every other opponent the Lions have faced so far, it will try to take away the run (Claeys has already declared as much) and force the Lions to make plays in space, something they've done very well at times and not so well at others.

The Gophers (3-0) also have a quarterback in Mitch Leidner who can run a bit and cause havoc because of it, which is a proven weakness for Penn State's injury-riddled defense. Minnesota also has a very big, and experienced, offensive line that rivals what PSU saw against Pittsburgh and Michigan in those two areas, which will make the challenge all the greater.

Oddsmakers have installed the Lions as three-point favorites as of this writing, and theoretically, Penn State's skill players on offense should overwhelm Minnesota's back seven enough to win the day; the Gophers are undefeated, but they haven't beat a quality opponent by any measure. Yet, it's hard to call anything a certainty at this point of the Lions season.

All we know is that Penn State has a record many predicted it would have heading into October but more injuries than anyone could have guessed. It will face a considerable step down in Minnesota compared to Michigan, but the defense must hold up, and the offense click better than it did in Ann Arbor, to move to 3-2. Check both of those boxes, and it's on to Maryland on a high note. Miss on both, and it's likely that the frustrations grow louder.

So, yes, it is a must-win, for any number of reasons.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2016/09/penn_state_must_win_minnesota.html

Go Gophers!!

I think a must win is when someone is sure to get fired, or they lose any chance at a title that they ... at least had a chance at. I don't think any of those apply here.

Whoever loses, will face another must win and that kinda makes the previous not a must win.

At this point the way people use it must win just means Boy I'd like that....

They don't have anymore must wins. IMO a lot of fans and possibly even players already believe their season over and a lost cause. They are probably not serious about winning the west anymore based on how they've looked.

I think a must win is when someone is sure to get fired, or they lose any chance at a title that they ... at least had a chance at. I don't think any of those apply here.

Whoever loses, will face another must win and that kinda makes the previous not a must win.

At this point the way people use it must win just means Boy I'd like that....

Maybe not quite a must win for Franklin, but another nail in the coffin for his job. He's a great example of PSU hiring the new high profile, shiny object as coach. He was the fashionable pick at the time.

Maybe not quite a must win for Franklin, but another nail in the coffin for his job. He's a great example of PSU hiring the new high profile, shiny object as coach. He was the fashionable pick at the time.

Yeah he was a hot commodity but other than exceeding expectations at a lower level school for a short time, his resume was thin IMO. These flash in the pan lower level coaches come along often...

Yeah he was a hot commodity but other than exceeding expectations at a lower level school for a short time, his resume was thin IMO. These flash in the pan lower level coaches come along often...

Oh, I agree...he used a couple seasons at Vandy, which was a nice feat, to leap to a B1Gtime HC position. Looks like someone updated his Wiki page to show him as former PSU coach...

A quick look at PSU's schedule shows that to be bowl eligible needing four games they face Minnesota, Iowa, and Purdue from the West, with Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, Ohio State, and Michigan State remaining from the East. They should be heavily favored against Purdue and Rutgers, close with Minnesota, Maryland, and Indiana, Iowa, OSU, and MSU look to be out of reach. It's pretty much a must win for PSU, to have a winning season, lose and the margin for bowl qualification goes to zero.

It's only his 3rd year. He went 7-6 his first two years but improved his B1G record by 2 games last year. They were just given their full set of scholarships back last year and only have 12 SRs on this year's team.

Penn St. would be stupid to even consider firing Franklin before the end of next year. He should be given at least 5 years to bounce back from the sanctions they were under. It's not easy.

It's only his 3rd year. He went 7-6 his first two years but improved his B1G record by 2 games last year. They were just given their full set of scholarships back last year and only have 12 SRs on this year's team.

Penn St. would be stupid to even consider firing Franklin before the end of next year. He should be given at least 5 years to bounce back from the sanctions they were under. It's not easy.

James Franklin is 0-18 as a head coach vs teams which finished ranked and has never beaten an FBS team which had more than 8 wins.
— Chris Fallica (@chrisfallica) September 24, 2016

They don't have anymore must wins. IMO a lot of fans and possibly even players already believe their season over and a lost cause. They are probably not serious about winning the west anymore based on how they've looked.

What are u talking about?? If talking about PSU of course they can't win the west. If talking about our gophers what makes u think the players are down? Ridiculous post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Franklin is 0-18 as a head coach vs teams which finished ranked and has never beaten an FBS team which had more than 8 wins.
— Chris Fallica (@chrisfallica) September 24, 2016

Like I said, it's only his 3rd year. Kill only beat 1 team that finished #25 in only the coaches poll, the 2013 Cornhuskers. That was in 5 years. Some people wanted to build him a statue.

Like I said, it's only his 3rd year. Kill only beat 1 team that finished #25 in only the coaches poll, the 2013 Cornhuskers. That was in 5 years. Some people wanted to build him a statue.

Eehhhhhh Kill coached here.... Penn St. even in recent years is inside the top 25 in recruiting.... even with scholarship limitations it seems. The ramp up should be way way way faster.

Didn't want you to get butthurt over that. It wasn't meant to be an attack. I saw that and thought it was an interesting tidbit about one of the hottest names out there (from a couple years ago).

It was not meant to be a comparison to any other coach, so I don't know why you choose Kill and no other coaches. Oh, and it includes his time at Vanderbilt.

Don't think I said that...he's on the hot seat...it's Penn St.

Didn't want you to get butthurt over that. It wasn't meant to be an attack. I saw that and thought it was an interesting tidbit about one of the hottest names out there (from a couple years ago).

It was not meant to be a comparison to any other coach, so I don't know why you choose Kill and no other coaches. Oh, and it includes his time at Vanderbilt.

No worries, and I didn't take it as an attack. It is an interesting stat. I just find it mind blowing that some Gopher fans (not necessarily you) can rip Franklin for what he's done and suggest he should be fired. Then turnaround and praise our current coaching staff, the majority of which has been here twice as long as Franklin, but hasn't accomplished anything more.

A Gophers win will be a huge step in the Claeys era brick by brick.

Top Bottom