Penalties that help the offending team...

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score
...sicken me. Just watched Duke lose a FG because Cincinnati, with no time outs left, intentionally committed a pre-snap illegal substitution. FG should stand, and this should be a post-play penalty.

Earlier, Duke got called for a roughing penalty on a play that did not count. Duke receiver drops the ball, refs let play go as a fumble. On the return, Cincy gets a TD, and Duke gets called for roughing. Replay reverses the call, but Duke suffers a 15 yard penalty--on a play that never happened. Play should be dead, no penalty.

Often, an offense can be called for false start, causing a dead ball, on a play when the QB gets sacked (Iowa, 2011). Play should stand.

A punter or QB can kick a ball out of the end zone on a bad snap or blocked punt. Should be an auto TD.

Argh.

...sicken me. Just watched Duke lose a FG because Cincinnati, with no time outs left, intentionally committed a pre-snap illegal substitution. FG should stand, and this should be a post-play penalty.

Earlier, Duke got called for a roughing penalty on a play that did not count. Duke receiver drops the ball, refs let play go as a fumble. On the return, Cincy gets a TD, and Duke gets called for roughing. Replay reverses the call, but Duke suffers a 15 yard penalty--on a play that never happened. Play should be dead, no penalty.

Often, an offense can be called for false start, causing a dead ball, on a play when the QB gets sacked (Iowa, 2011). Play should stand.

A punter or QB can kick a ball out of the end zone on a bad snap or blocked punt. Should be an auto TD.

Argh.

How do you figure? Whether the whistle was blown or not, roughing is roughing. These penalties are meant to decrease the risk of injuries. After a play is over, you cannot run over and take someone out at the knees for no reason.....this is really no different.

However, I do agree with you about the FG. Should have counted.

I doubt it was intentional. They only have 5 coaches supposedly. You will have some confusion with half a staff trying to manage a game.

Gotta look at things both ways...If the field goal had been no good, Duke would have automatically had another shot at it. But I can certainly understand the consternation of it all.

Yeah...I dunno about the last 3 examples. You aren't suppose to be able to get a sack on a false start as the play is suppose to be dead immediately. And the botched punt/kick thing, getting a safety doesn't exactly hurt the other team.

In the NFL, if you score a controversial TD that will be reviewed, you should throw a challenge flag before the automatic review. If you do so, the way the rule is written, the play cannot be challenged and you'd be assessed a 15 yd penalty.

Top Bottom