Payne

What comes first, the playing time or the NIL deal? Does it really matter what they leave for…a transfer is a transfer. At the end of the day, a player will view the move as better for him (whether basketball related or financial *now with NIL), this is now part of NCAA sports whether you like it or not.
Yes, to me it matters why they leave.

If our good young players are bribed away by cash...I think you'd have to be a fool to invest any more time in following the Gophers.

There are other things in life to get interested in that would be better than watching this type of a situation.

If our good young players are bribed away by cash...I think you'd have to be a fool to invest any more time in following the Gophers.

There are other things in life to get interested in that would be better than watching this type of a situation.
Getting the popcorn ready for your exit..........

Why? No one cares about the players. There will be someone filling out the Gopher jersey.

Why? No one cares about the players. There will be someone filling out the Gopher jersey.
I want a good GOPHERS team.

I don't own a Marcus Carr jersey, even though he just put up 40 points. Do you?

Do you follow the St. Paul Saints? Or the Twins minor league teams? Or the NBA G-League?

I've said this before...if we're turning it all into a big joke, then why not go all the way? We should pay some Timberwolves players to play in our most important games. And an extra 3 million each to win the NCAA Tournament.

Do you follow the St. Paul Saints? Or the Twins minor league teams? Or the NBA G-League?

I've said this before...if we're turning it all into a big joke, then why not go all the way? We should pay some Timberwolves players to play in our most important games. And an extra 3 million each to win the NCAA Tournament.
The big joke is on you if you cant grasp the filth of athletics.

Tar Heels anyone?

What makes a good Gophers team?

Yeah, I actually do.

Who are these again? I guess some mid-majors might come calling by offering playing time. But there are not gonna be a bunch of big time teams coming after our young guys.

Who are these again? I guess some mid-majors might come calling by offering playing time. But there are not gonna be a bunch of big time teams coming after our young guys.
Payne may go to a real team (but not as a FT / star role)…he may grow into it but not yet…other than that I see everyone else (Carrington & Henley) as mid-major.

Edit: JOJ could become a good body for someone to add to a rotation, but not star potential…the problem with going to a real school, these guys as sophomores, juniors, or even as seniors may get replaced by highly ranked freshman coming in

They also wouldn't be bribed away with cash. They could be bribed away for competency. Ben's biggest supporter in these boards has hopes that next year we can keep games within 10 points. That's the goal from the biggest supporter.

If you're Payne, just about any major conference program can beat that. Any NIL money wouldn't be big, but you could see someone like Payne getting nervous about his development.

Carrington also might be able to find a program interested in him providing guard depth.

Again, no one is paying these guys but they could find landing spots.

They also wouldn't be bribed away with cash. They could be bribed away for competency. Ben's biggest supporter in these boards has hopes that next year we can keep games within 10 points. That's the goal from the biggest supporter.

If you're Payne, just about any major conference program can beat that. Any NIL money wouldn't be big, but you could see someone like Payne getting nervous about his development.

Carrington also might be able to find a program interested in him providing guard depth.

Miller kopp leaving northwestern to join Indiana is one example

The last 10 games of this season are going to be huge for Ben. He is going to have to get the players to buy into the idea that they can be a competitor for the NCAAs next year. That means that the latter half of the Big Ten season has to show some success on the court- several wins- in order to keep the core intact. If that doesn't happen, I cannot imagine the carnage that might take place in the off season in terms of transfers and also season ticket renewal. We are nearing the straw that broke the camel's back IF the latter part of the season isn't good.

The things past coaches mentioned in these threads have weathered (like Clem and Pikiel) and survived, were done before free agency.....

The last 10 games of this season are going to be huge for Ben. He is going to have to get the players to buy into the idea that they can be a competitor for the NCAAs next year. That means that the latter half of the Big Ten season has to show some success on the court- several wins- in order to keep the core intact. If that doesn't happen, I cannot imagine the carnage that might take place in the off season in terms of transfers and also season ticket renewal. We are nearing the straw that broke the camel's back IF the latter part of the season isn't good.

The things past coaches mentioned in these threads have weathered (like Clem and Pikiel) and survived, were done before free agency.....
I guess it's good that the back-half of the schedule is easier. If we don't beat Nebraska on 1/7, we probably won't win a game at all until February.

They need to start him or watch him leave at the end of the year.

I’d argue that Thompson should be a SF and not a PF or C. In modern basketball just because you are tall does not mean you are a center. Thompson is extremely mobile for that size and has shown decent handles and range. We know he can’t guard big men with beef, but he may be able to stay in front of SFs with his mobility and length.
In modern basketball you're what you can guard. TT can be a stretch four but Thompson trying to guard wings, especially in three guard line ups would be a disaster. If you think it's bad with Battle..... As far as Payne goes if he wants more playing time, cut down on the fouls, the turn overs and make a few free throws. Lot of potential but still pretty raw. As far as transfers go, someone has to want you, no one is showing any ability to transfer up and rarely does one transfer down willingly

I'm at the barn every game can't have carnage with renewals if you don't have much to begin with. It's been carnage since 2018 on that front. Also, who are other teams going to want on this team? Garcia already on his third school, Cooper can't guard, Battle might be the most disappointing player in the league and quite frankly good teams like their recruits more than our Freshman, if anything guys will move on because they can't hang at this level. Usually I'm pretty positive but to transfer up you gotta show something and no one on this team is showing shit as of today in that regard

In modern basketball you're what you can guard. TT can be a stretch four but Thompson trying to guard wings, especially in three guard line ups would be a disaster. If you think it's bad with Battle..... As far as Payne goes if he wants more playing time, cut down on the fouls, the turn overs and make a few free throws. Lot of potential but still pretty raw. As far as transfers go, someone has to want you, no one is showing any ability to transfer up and rarely does one transfer down willingly
play him at SF, what's the worst that can happen. Can't be any worse than Henley at SF...

I'm at the barn every game can't have carnage with renewals if you don't have much to begin with. It's been carnage since 2018 on that front. Also, who are other teams going to want on this team? Garcia already on his third school, Cooper can't guard, Battle might be the most disappointing player in the league and quite frankly good teams like their recruits more than our Freshman, if anything guys will move on because they can't hang at this level. Usually I'm pretty positive but to transfer up you gotta show something and no one on this team is showing shit as of today in that regard
I am there as well. Right now - no one is coming but they are still counting 8000-9000 as paid attendance. Next year it could be 5-6000 if we don't show signs of life later in the year.

I am really convinced that they are an impact guard away from being really solid next year- if Ben can hold things together and everyone improves. IF...

Whenever, I get down about a team I think about the Vince Grier squad the year after Hump left. Ben has to find that guy.

I am there as well. Right now - no one is coming but they are still counting 8000-9000 as paid attendance. Next year it could be 5-6000 if we don't show signs of life later in the year.

I am really convinced that they are an impact guard away from being really solid next year- if Ben can hold things together and everyone improves. IF...

Whenever, I get down about a team I think about the Vince Grier squad the year after Hump left. Ben has to find that guy.
That 2005 team was special with their overachieving, but in fairness the Big Ten was 💩 that season. Only 4 teams made the NCAA that season. I think we need more than one Vincent Grier type player to be anything close to a NCAA-caliber squad next season in what is now a much stronger Big Ten. And that assumes Battle & Garcia both return (I have not given up on those 2 guys).

That 2005 team was special with their overachieving, but in fairness the Big Ten was 💩 that season. Only 4 teams made the NCAA that season. I think we need more than one Vincent Grier type player to be anything close to a NCAA-caliber squad next season in what is now a much stronger Big Ten. And that assumes Battle & Garcia both return (I have not given up on those 2 guys).
I’m just hoping for an athletic transfer (bench player) aka Akeem Springs - he had some great moments - this obviously doesn’t change the course of the program, but it would be more fun to watch compared to a slug of a transfer

Top Bottom