Payne in portal (UPDATED: Payne commits to Texas A&M)

Time will tell. Many said he'd be picked up right away. We are coming to up on a month for him in the portal and a bunch of other bigs have landed.

Well, I don't think he needs to be desperate just yet but I never thought I would see JOJ and Ihnen picked up before him. Who knows? Maybe he doesn't interview well.

Colt was a major miss by Tubby. He didn’t appreciate how good he was. The other two had non basketball reasons for leaving.
Exactly last game of the season Colt had an unbelievable game as we finish a sweep against the skunks then did not play one minute the next game, which was game one of the Big Ten tournament then he left

Well, I don't think he needs to be desperate just yet but I never thought I would see JOJ and Ihnen picked up before him. Who knows? Maybe he doesn't interview well.
Way bigger investment for Payne than the others. The others are more likely flyers and low risk. Whoever gets Payne is taking a risk with money and needs to have much greater certitude.

I could be totally off base here, but it feels like the teams throwing the most money at Payne don’t even have a starting role available for him which could be giving him some pause for concern.

I could be totally off base here, but it feels like the teams throwing the most money at Payne don’t even have a starting role available for him which could be giving him some pause for concern.
You may have hit the bullseye. Or maybe they are throwing their money at higher priority prospects and not Payne. He’s high risk with the back problems and doesn’t have perimeter skills. He’s not complete like many want. I’d take him in a heartbeat but it’s not automatic.

It's clear to me programs are not clamoring for him...

Keep NIL, but reinstitute the 1 year sit out if you transfer. No free transfers.

If the program really wants you they will pay you to sit. And if you really want to transfer to a different institution to complete your education, you should be thrilled to have an extra year of study on full scholarship.
couldn’t agree more!

Good Gopher players never used to transfer.

The only time players transferred was when the coach was fired. Or when a kid went to a blue blood but didn't get any playing time. Or if they got caught in a scandal. But that's about it. Keeping a team together was never anything to worry about.
Mark Jones was sneaky good

Semantics
It isn’t semantics at all. There are two different pies. One the schools and NCAA cooled they don’t get a piece of and one that is much smaller that you had a hand in cooking. The f you recall, the players thought they had won the right to a piece of the pie the schools and NCAA cooked yet they still get absolutely none of that and instead we have the abomination there is now.

serious? When Patino left we lost the entire team
That is being disingenuous...he isn't talking about when a coach leaves he is talking about in general. It can be expected when there is staff turnover players will leave but just in the general offseason? Starters in power conferences rarely left to go to other power conference teams without some sort of special circumstances. Now it is happening all over the place.

The setup as is will implode. This much chaos and yearly free agency will not work in the long run. It wont take long for fans to get annoyed and start tuning out.

Last edited:

Unfortunately everyone. Kid told me how he basically just got answers from google and used chatGpt. Two degrees from the U. One semester he felt guilty and did old fashioned for halfway. He couldn’t keep up as everyone just took the easy road. Also said basically Everyone gets an A.
I teach in college and I am just going to say this is greatly exaggerated.

Time will tell. Many said he'd be picked up right away. We are coming to up on a month for him in the portal and a bunch of other bigs have landed.
I thought Kansas was going to give him $500k! And I thought Missouri was going to offer Mitchell a big deal too since they have NIL money according to some experts around here...

I figure we are about 2-3 years away from a long expose on E$PN about players debunking all the BS stories about big money NIL deals.

That was basically part of a scandal. When our administration sabotaged our National-Championship-favorite team.

I'll never get over that. Adding White & Mbakwe to that team...we'd have been devastating in all areas.

I think you need to stop drinking. National Championship favorite? Wow...

I thought Kansas was going to give him $500k! And I thought Missouri was going to offer Mitchell a big deal too since they have NIL money according to some experts around here...

I figure we are about 2-3 years away from a long expose on E$PN about players debunking all the BS stories about big money NIL deals.
Payne will get his money. He's simply weighing his offers and negotiating.

Payne will get his money. He's simply weighing his offers and negotiating.
I love how you pretend to know that. You have to be one of MPLSGophers alts because only he has the arrogance level to speak so assuredly about stuff he has zero clue about. I will give you credit though, you are right more often than he is...but I mean 1>0 so...

But since apparently you are his agent...what teams is he "negotiating" with and what is most important money or playing time? Is there a specific system he wants to play in or a coaching style he prefers? How much did the U "offer" him and what would it have taken for him to come back? Was he truly disgruntled at the end of the year and if so why?

I will hang up and listen.

I think you need to stop drinking. National Championship favorite? Wow...
White was bullying Anthony Davis in the NCAA. And running point. The announcer called him the most dynamic player in college basketball.

Mbakwe was another Jordan Murphy. He was that good.

Hoffarber had the green light for 3's whenever there was a sliver of an opening. With White & Mbakwe...he'd be absolutely deadly. Plus he was automatic at the line. Closed games out.

Westbrook was a big game player.

Nolan was steady at point.

Damian Johnson was a good player...and would be 6th man.

Reserves would be Joseph, Cobbs, Paul Carter, Sampson, Iverson, Bostick, and Rodney Williams.

I love how you pretend to know that. You have to be one of MPLSGophers alts because only he has the arrogance level to speak so assuredly about stuff he has zero clue about. I will give you credit though, you are right more often than he is...but I mean 1>0 so...

But since apparently you are his agent...what teams is he "negotiating" with and what is most important money or playing time? Is there a specific system he wants to play in or a coaching style he prefers? How much did the U "offer" him and what would it have taken for him to come back? Was he truly disgruntled at the end of the year and if so why?

I will hang up and listen.
I'm just assuming Payne will get his money. Based on the other reports on other players that we're hearing. But I don't have inside info.

Also, I don't enjoy talking about that potential team we had. I feel obligated to say it. But it's a very bad memory.

It isn’t semantics at all. There are two different pies. One the schools and NCAA cooled they don’t get a piece of and one that is much smaller that you had a hand in cooking. The f you recall, the players thought they had won the right to a piece of the pie the schools and NCAA cooked yet they still get absolutely none of that and instead we have the abomination there is now.
It is semantics for my point, not from an accounting standpoint.

Money is money, and the players are now getting paid. See Virginia decision recently

They are not getting a piece of the pie. The pie is the TV contract leagues sign and distribute to their member teams. These payments are coming from outside the pie.

It is semantics for my point, not from an accounting standpoint.

Money is money, and the players are now getting paid. See Virginia decision recently
You may think money is money and for now the kids are placated but they still aren’t really getting what they asked for.

Top Bottom