Payne in portal (UPDATED: Payne commits to Texas A&M)

I dunno, you could tell me a fact...I know that is a foreign concept to you. What you are saying is no more steep in truth than the BS numbers being thrown around about how much players are offered.

We all know the U does not break the rules that way...hell there is a group of posters here who want us to and whine we dont.

Until someone proves otherwise I just dont buy Ben is in charge of who gets what...and if he is then I really don't want him in charge.
I listened to him talk about trying to figure out how they were going to handle dealing the money out, in person. There is no universe in which the coaches are not dictating who gets what. The money can't be sourced from the University but I don't think there is a rule that says that the coach can't be involved in the discussions. If there is such a rule it is broken 100% of the time.

There has to be SOME communication between CBJ and the NILs... He knows roughly how much money is available. How would they know who to write checks out to? They have to be on the same page with recruiting somehow, not going to pretend I now how that specifically works. But if CBJ says "Don't give NIL money to Bakary, we need to put it towards Oturu" then that's what happens

Money may be a factor, but more that he is looking at other players than knowing he will get more somewhere else. The bigger issue is that Payne does not like the feedback he is getting and the role he has had and will have. He thinks he offers more offensively than he does, and doesn't like that the coaches tell him, "That was a foul," when he does stupid things like stick his chest out on a hedge repeatedly despite practicing otherwise. NIL not as big of an obstacle as some here think.
Payne hedging in the first place is bad schematics, it's just not in his game and someone his size shouldn't be expected to make that kind of rotation on a regular basis. He also should have been starting from about game 5 on his freshman year. Instead Ben gives all the starts to a guy he ends up benching. I would also question what is going on. Having said that, if he won't even accept objectively true feedback and would prefer to be coddled, I am glad the staff decided not to coddle.

I figured there are enough opinions floating around this board- someone may have a preference.

Or is that not what you're asking?
It just seemed like you were assuming that this was a decision made by Ben about allocating resources - saving NIL money for certain other players.

Is that your opinion of what happened?

Payne hedging in the first place is bad schematics, it's just not in his game and someone his size shouldn't be expected to make that kind of rotation on a regular basis. He also should have been starting from about game 5 on his freshman year. Instead Ben gives all the starts to a guy he ends up benching. I would also question what is going on. Having said that, if he won't even accept objectively true feedback and would prefer to be coddled, I am glad the staff decided not to coddle.
Agree with your final sentence. However, he was nowhere ready to start most of his freshman year, even the start of this year. He played way too fast when he got the ball and turned it over. Starting in late December he started to get it and slowed down a lot, but still turned it over too much. So much potential, but can only be realized if you are willing to take coaching.

What rules? I think what happens is that there is a pot built and based on what is in it the coach has a budget he can work with and spreads it around as he sees fit- then the collective takes those marching orders and sets up the deals per the coach's wishes.

My theory is that Payne came in and he and the coach talked about plans for him on the court and NIL. When Payne told the coach what he was being told what the market is for his services- Ben said, sorry we don't have the kind of a budget. Here's what we have, let us know if you can make that work.

I also think he was unhappy with PT and not getting enough feeds in the post. The guy had no problem clearing space for entry passes; they just rarely came.

I dunno, you could tell me a fact...I know that is a foreign concept to you. What you are saying is no more steep in truth than the BS numbers being thrown around about how much players are offered.

We all know the U does not break the rules that way...hell there is a group of posters here who want us to and whine we dont.

Until someone proves otherwise I just dont buy Ben is in charge of who gets what...and if he is then I really don't want him in charge.

Coaches can't talk about NIL though.

I heard Payne's new ride is sick. Looks like he got paid.

How did he afford it if he hasn't gotten paid yet?

F him.

And what is he still doing in Athletes Village? Once you gone, you stay gone, or you be gone. I'm revoking all your AV privelges.
No 20 year old should be driving a BMW no matter how much he makes. Bad use of money. That he probably doesn’t really have yet.

F him.

And what is he still doing in Athletes Village? Once you gone, you stay gone, or you be gone. I'm revoking all your AV privelges.

Rental?
Friends?

You seem a bit on the ledge, my friend, portal wise.

F him.

Coyle and team must have gotten him a few hundred dollars- which makes the players happy....

Look- Payne is not likely headed for the NBA. He's never going to make huge money. If he can make 1000's here - maybe even 25,000 and can make 250k somewhere else- he simply has to take it. I will say this- it's not a smart move to go buy an expensive car (if he did) in advance of getting the money. Perhaps he is wheeling around in his agent's car.....

F him.

And what is he still doing in Athletes Village? Once you gone, you stay gone, or you be gone. I'm revoking all your AV priveleges.
Maybe he was already getting paid here and maybe, just maybe money isn’t the number 1 reason he is leaving?

Coyle and team must have gotten him a few hundred dollars- which makes the players happy....

Look- Payne is not likely headed for the NBA. He's never going to make huge money. If he can make 1000's here - maybe even 25,000 and can make 250k somewhere else- he simply has to take it. I will say this- it's not a smart move to go buy an expensive car (if he did) in advance of getting the money. Perhaps he is wheeling around in his agent's car.....
Can't see him getting $250K.

Top Bottom