Payne in portal (UPDATED: Payne commits to Texas A&M)

You never answered his question 🤓
What is your source?

Not providing one likely shows you’re just another anti-CBJ 🧌, especially when someone who has credibility as a real person, Ryan James, contradicts what you said on a pay site.
What do you mean? I always trust the insights of an anonymous poster on a free site than that of a person who uses their real name and you could actually call up and talk to them. ;)

Who is listed as having contacted Payne, haven’t seen anything so far.

Who is listed as having contacted Payne, haven’t seen anything so far.
Most of the top teams in the country, pretty much. Huge list showing interest.

The reports are saying that he is offered $500,000 per year. If that is the case the young man needs to take the money hire a respected financial company and have a beautiful future.

Payne was becoming the face of the franchise. Dinkeytown athletes was selling a retro jersey with his name on it. I don’t get it, unless he doesn’t like the coach or he was offered a bag of money.

Almost pulled the trigger on that jersey. Glad I didn't.

The reports are saying that he is offered $500,000 per year. If that is the case the young man needs to take the money hire a respected financial company and have a beautiful future.
Even at $500K, I think that would put him in like the top 15 right now for all of current men's basketball NIL deals. Just can't see that being the case.

Even at $500K, I think that would put him in like the top 15 right now for all of current men's basketball NIL deals. Just can't see that being the case.
I assume you are looking at last year's stats. It's a new world and teams that wanted to have had a year to work on gather their NIL boosters and pot of gold.

I assume you are looking at last year's stats. It's a new world and teams that wanted to have had a year to work on gather their NIL boosters and pot of gold.
Most recent numbers I assume are from the beginning of this season. Remains to be seen who will have what to spend where.

Sure, but there already more in the portal than last year (I beleive, but based on memory).

If that is true, that would mean an expected increase as there is 2/3 of the time left. That would mean likely less NIL would be needed (or offered), save for a few. I don’t think Payne meets that sure thing Money yet. He has a ton of detail work to do to reach that level.

Sure, but there already more in the portal than last year (I beleive, but based on memory).

If that is true, that would mean an expected increase as there is 2/3 of the time left. That would mean likely less NIL would be needed (or offered), save for a few. I don’t think Payne meets that sure thing Money yet. He has a ton of detail work to do to reach that level.
NIL was new last year. A lot of programs have ramped it up and had a year to figure it out. I think it depends on what a team needs and a center like Payne is not an easy find.

If he's THAT good why didn't he just declare for the NBA draft? 500K per year coming off the season he had? He's a good player but whatever the hell is going on in college basketball, it cant continue.
Don’t underestimate the possibility that someone got in his ear about how much he might get. Not all those people have his interest in mind.

Don’t underestimate the possibility that someone got in his ear about how much he might get. Not all those people have his interest in mind.
If the person who got in his ear is wrong, Payne could come back here.
This situation is where the new NCAA attenpt at written commitments would help.

I wonderr if there is a standard communication put out by the NCAA detailing this and at least a generic recitation of scams that occurred that it was intended to prevent.

You never answered his question 🤓
What is your source?

Not providing one likely shows you’re just another anti-CBJ 🧌, especially when someone who has credibility as a real person, Ryan James, contradicts what you said on a pay site.
So listen to Ryan James. I really don’t care one bit if you believe me or not.

If he's THAT good why didn't he just declare for the NBA draft? 500K per year coming off the season he had? He's a good player but whatever the hell is going on in college basketball, it cant continue.
There are several players who returned to school rather than be late 1st round picks because their NIL was more (supposedly). This was widely reported for Oscar Tshiebwe.

With the amount of money coming into the college sports, you'd think a team with a "pay roll" of about $3-$5 million makes a ton of financial sense - like actual monetary value of a good team.

Now, I hate that this going down in college sports and I think it will slowly erode the fan base and continue to hurt the sport, I am just saying that I think Pharrell Payne likely brings $500K worth of value to certain programs.

Payne is a top 10 transfer whether or not anyone realizes it now.

I wouldn't blink an eye at that being the outcome. I do wonder if the Gophers NIL money would be distributed differently if the coach were not entering a make or break season. e.g. Would a coach more secure in his job choose to pay Payne (2 years of eligibility) instead of Garcia (1 year)?

At the end of the day...

We figured out Hawkins first and then had enough money left for two players between Cam, Garcia, and Payne...

Which two are you choosing? I'm a huge Payne fan- he's going to be dynamite wherever he goes but I think we/CBJ made the best decision for the squad.

It's the same thing as letting Kirk go so you can pay JJ- only so much money floating around!

Do coaches, in this case Ben, get to allocate the amounts of payouts? NIL is not only aggravating it is loaded with ambiguities.

90+% of the time this is the 20 yr old being wrong vs the older coaching staff. Then again this happens all the time with kids. I can include myself on multiple occasions at or around that age.

Unfortunately, he’s been Enabled by the ability to run instead of confronting one’s situation. These are the times sticking really informs you.

This how toughness is developed.and Captains are forged. You have to learn as a player to communicate with teams, coaches, and confront your emotions that are protected by ego.

Its missing the value of that “darkness before the dawn.”

As someone who’s been playing and or coaching sports (and been on many varied work teams) for over 35 years, All teams go through these situations. Working through them is the process.

This might be the right speech for certain situations but it seems a bit heavy handed here.

You know what else young people often like ---- adventure and new experiences.

He has an opportunity for an all expenses paid extended trip (along with quite probably a very generous stipend) to experience something else. When I look back to being his age, I would have had a tough time resisting that kind of opportunity.

Leaving the Gophers doesn't mean that someone is lacking in character.

So listen to Ryan James. I really don’t care one bit if you believe me or not.
I certainly didn't mean to come across as not believing you. I'll take any comments on a random message board with a grain of salt. You said "and some kids were out to “get theirs”. What does that mean? They're playing to get more money? If so, wouldn't we see all those players leaving to get more money?

Top Bottom