Payne in portal (UPDATED: Payne commits to Texas A&M)

I agree that he's not coming back.

But what blue bloods are looking at him, and how much is he going to get paid?
Depends on the team he ends up on- a starter at a high end Mid-Major like Xavier- I would guess anywhere between 250-350k

If it's for a rotational spot at a place like Texas 400K+

Maybe if Dickinson doesn't come back, which he can. Plus they have a 5* center coming in.
The KU faithful see Payne as a "fallback/safety net," with Dickinson likely returning.

You asked which blue bloods are looking at Payne. Kansas is. It's probably a long shot to happen, but there is interest.

The KU faithful see Payne as a "fallback/safety net," with Dickinson likely returning.

You asked which blue bloods are looking at Payne. Kansas is. It's probably a long shot to happen, but there is interest.
Kansas has historically had a big like Payne who can dominate in the middle but not do a lot away from the basket. Dickinson is the first in a while who was reasonably effective away from the basket. Payne fits there if he gets an offer, but hard to believe he wants to be depth and not the man.

Kansas has historically had a big like Payne who can dominate in the middle but not do a lot away from the basket. Dickinson is the first in a while who was reasonably effective away from the basket. Payne fits there if he gets an offer, but hard to believe he wants to be depth and not the man.
It will be interesting to see where Payne ultimately ends up and what his role is. Is he just looking to get paid and therefore willing to take a lesser role at a school with deep pockets? Or is he actually looking for a better situation than the one he had here where he was a starter on a Big Ten team?

Gut says he will land in a good situation because big guys are always in high demand but my hope is he ends up finding out the grass isn't always greener.

It will be interesting to see where Payne ultimately ends up and what his role is. Is he just looking to get paid and therefore willing to take a lesser role at a school with deep pockets? Or is he actually looking for a better situation than the one he had here where he was a starter on a Big Ten team?

Gut says he will land in a good situation because big guys are always in high demand but my hope is he ends up finding out the grass isn't always greener.
Come on man,

A lot of these guys, this is an opportunity to maximize their earnings. Payne is not an NBA player, and likely won't make nearly as much playing overseas as he does this year and next with his eligibility.

At the end of the day, none of us should blame him for maximizing his earnings as we all do in our personal lives.

Come on man,

A lot of these guys, this is an opportunity to maximize their earnings. Payne is not an NBA player, and likely won't make nearly as much playing overseas as he does this year and next with his eligibility.

At the end of the day, none of us should blame him for maximizing his earnings as we all do in our personal lives.
I don't blame him but I don't have to root for him either. In the end I am a fan of the University of Minnesota and the players on the team.

I enjoyed watching Payne play here the past two seasons and was hoping to get to see him continue to develop here over the next few years. I understand why players are transferring all over the place but it doesn't mean I have to be happy about it or feel good for those players when they are abandoning the team I root for to go chase some pay for play money somewhere else.

I don't blame him but I don't have to root for him either. In the end I am a fan of the University of Minnesota and the players on the team.

I enjoyed watching Payne play here the past two seasons and was hoping to get to see him continue to develop here over the next few years. I understand why players are transferring all over the place but it doesn't mean I have to be happy about it or feel good for those players when they are abandoning the team I root for to go chase some pay for play money somewhere else.
Lol, ok guy

Agree, you can do whatever you would like. It's not that serious

Come on man,

In my experience, team members that job hop to chase money end up being shitty team members.

People that chase money are people who are rarely, if ever, satisfied in life. It wasn't that he was offered nothing here and chose to actually get something. He just wants more. This is on top of the free education, free housing and free nutrition program he was receiving.

Karma is a beeotch - hope the ol' back holds up for the lad.

In my experience, team members that job hop to chase money end up being shitty team members.

People that chase money are people who are rarely, if ever, satisfied in life. It wasn't that he was offered nothing here and chose to actually get something. He just wants more. This is on top of the free education, free housing and free nutrition program he was receiving.

In fact I think very few people try to “maximize” income. Most people want to have enough but that doesn’t mean bleeding every dollar they can out of their professional. I don’t find the going to the highest bidder philosophy compelling at all.

In fact I think very few people try to “maximize” income. Most people want to have enough but that doesn’t mean bleeding every dollar they can out of their professional. I don’t find the going to the highest bidder philosophy compelling at all.
100%.

Since it was reported he was driving a BMW 5-series, he has expensive tastes it is all about the image and bling. Either that or he has a real affinity for car mechanics. He's probably going to need it. ;)

At least it wasn't a 3-series. Or an Audi.

Plus getting to play in front of family/friends, free laundry and a good non-holiday home cooked meals when needed.

Money isn’t a panacea for all of life’s challenges.

You guys act like most of these players have the rest of their lives to make this kind of money. This might be their ONLY chance after all the time they put in to cash in. You just have your panties in a bunch because it’s not favoring your home team.

You guys act like most of these players have the rest of their lives to make this kind of money. This might be their ONLY chance after all the time they put in to cash in. You just have your panties in a bunch because it’s not favoring your home team.
Why should any of us feel obligated to be happy for a guy like Payne who is ditching the Gophers for some other team?

Everyone understands why players are transferring.....good for him.....he gets to pad his bank account somewhere else.....hopefully the money makes him happy. The day he signs with another team will be the day I stop giving a crap about his career outside of maybe a passing interest.

Smelling like broke in here

So honorable that so many of you would stay put if receiving 50-100% pay increases to do the same thing at another company
Odd, since you or nobody else has any idea what these guys are being offered. It is all speculation. When I start to see actual, published numbers from something in writing, then maybe I'll say OK, I understand. Until I see verifiable proof, I will assume, just as accurately, that he was presented a competitive offer that was within 10-20% of what he'll get somewhere else. He spurned it. I can only assume he was motivated by ego and greed, and people like that generally aren't well liked. It certainly wasn't about playing time or not being the focal point of the team.

He can do whatever the hell he wants. More power to him. I'm under no obligation to be happy for him or to give two shits about his earning potential elsewhere. Short-term thinking often leads to undesirable and unintended long-term consequences. Hope he is prepared for that inevitability, which will come sooner than he probably thinks.

Funny how you now think we need to be happy that they’re leaving. No, I’m pissed too. But the holier than thou act about money gets old.

Smelling like broke in here

So honorable that so many of you would stay put if receiving 50-100% pay increases to do the same thing at another company
Not sure why you are having a hard time tracking this. Everyone understands why Payne is leaving.....faced with the same opportunity, many of us might even make the same decision.....but as fans that doesn't mean we have to like it or feel good for Payne.

College Basketball, and to a lesser degree college Football, has become all about money and greed. It is really unfortunate to see what used to be great sports getting ruined by this new system but it is what it is at this point and as fans we just have to get used to this new reality until some sanity is hopefully restored at some point.

100%.

Since it was reported he was driving a BMW 5-series, he has expensive tastes it is all about the image and bling. Either that or he has a real affinity for car mechanics. He's probably going to need it. ;)

At least it wasn't a 3-series. Or an Audi.
Guessing that was loaned to him or part of a current NIL deal.

Minnesota transfer big man Pharrel Payne took a visit to IU recently, but his process could be impacted by the Ballo decision as well. Ryan James of 247Sports is reporting Payne is visiting Texas A&M this weekend, followed by visits to Texas and Oregon. At this point Payne appears unlikely to land at Indiana.

But pay for play here you’ll root for?

But pay for play here you’ll root for?
At least he's a Gophers fan. Unlike some on here.

There's a thread from a year or 2 ago where I documented which college teams some on here are fans of. They admitted it when pressed...I give them credit for that. I forgot if you are one of them...but several on here you can pretty much guess.

At least he's a Gophers fan. Unlike some on here.

There's a thread from a year or 2 ago where I documented which college teams some on here are fans of. They admitted it when pressed...I give them credit for that. I forgot if you are one of them...but several on here you can pretty much guess.

Hahahahaha. You’re something else man. I’m a gopher fan. I can show you my closet if you want to make sure. Maybe make sure that everyone wears a gold star or you can number people.

You take this wayyyyy too seriously. I hope your life has something important or fulfilling outside of gopher sports and getting mad online.

Top Bottom