Payne in portal (UPDATED: Payne commits to Texas A&M)

This might be the right speech for certain situations but it seems a bit heavy handed here.

You know what else young people often like ---- adventure and new experiences.

He has an opportunity for an all expenses paid extended trip (along with quite probably a very generous stipend) to experience something else. When I look back to being his age, I would have had a tough time resisting that kind of opportunity.

Leaving the Gophers doesn't mean that someone is lacking in character.
It’s also dependent on the info he provided. It was quite limited though.

nor would what I said be a reflection of character - simply youth.

Essentially, it’d be chasing an ideal, that really doesn’t exist. And, missing an opportunity.

At the end of the day...

We figured out Hawkins first and then had enough money left for two players between Cam, Garcia, and Payne...

Which two are you choosing? I'm a huge Payne fan- he's going to be dynamite wherever he goes but I think we/CBJ made the best decision for the squad.

It's the same thing as letting Kirk go so you can pay JJ- only so much money floating around!
Where did you come up with the idea that it was our choice?

I certainly didn't mean to come across as not believing you. I'll take any comments on a random message board with a grain of salt. You said "and some kids were out to “get theirs”. What does that mean? They're playing to get more money? If so, wouldn't we see all those players leaving to get more money?

I did
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

This is comical. He is not skilled enough to be anywhere near a top ten transfer.

FWIW, he’s ranked as the 20th best transfer in The Athletic’s ranking. From what I can see, none of the other three are ranked in the ~top 100 in their list.

Here’s there scouting report -

Ht: 6-9 Wt: 255
This is a tough loss for a Minnesota team that did not have much depth on the interior this year. Payne is a tough, physical interior player who rebounds, hits the glass and finishes at the rim. He’s a very direct player in that way, possessing all sorts of bounce and explosive athleticism. That’s the key skill for Payne. He is one of the best big-man athletes in the country.

Offensively, almost every shot he took this year was at the rim. When he wants to or has a runway, he can get above the rim and finish. But the skill level and hands can occasionally abandon him. Still, he made almost 64 percent of his shots at the rim, per Synergy, which is solid enough. Mostly, Payne is going to play out of ball-screens and in the dunker spot, but he also posted a few times per game for Minnesota to very mixed results. The turnover rate in those situations is quite poor, and I don’t know how great I feel about him putting the ball on the ground more than once. But as a rim-runner, he has a lot of utility if another team runs a ball-screen-centric offense. He’ll also get a significant number of tip-outs and put-backs.

More than on offense though, Payne has a ton of upside on defense. He can explosively rise up to block shots, as well as guard a bit in space. He moves really well laterally for a player his size at 6-foot-9, 250 pounds. He rotates in a timely manner on the baseline and always makes his presence felt, sometimes at the expense of taking himself out of rebounding position, but the overall impact is positive.

His game never seems to slow down. If I were a coach, I’d love to invest further time and energy into him, especially if a significant basis of my offense was a well-spaced court with high-end ball-screen action where he’d have space to take off and fly.— Sam Vecenie

Last edited:

The funny part with Payne is that everyone wants him as a rim runner, dunker shot blocker, but he sees himself as the key to an offense who deserves post touches. Will be interesting to see if he gets his wish or if enough money will convince him to play the way the Gophers wanted him to

At the end of the day...

We figured out Hawkins first and then had enough money left for two players between Cam, Garcia, and Payne...

Which two are you choosing? I'm a huge Payne fan- he's going to be dynamite wherever he goes but I think we/CBJ made the best decision for the squad.

It's the same thing as letting Kirk go so you can pay JJ- only so much money floating around!
That is not how this works. Nice little work of fiction though maybe you can get a book deal!

That is not how this works. Nice little work of fiction though maybe you can get a book deal!
Lol college sports is professional sports without a salary cap. It absolutely is how it works.

If he's not ours, I really do like the Iowa St. fit for Payne. Although I really like the Iowa St. fit for a lot of guys that play hard.

That program has a culture: tough, hard-nosed, will not be outworked. They're only going to get better as they more talent in there.

Lol college sports is professional sports without a salary cap. It absolutely is how it works.
Where did I say otherwise? Oh wait I didn't...

Ben Johnson is not who decides who gets what money. That is why his whole post was BS.

In fantasy land he doesn't. If you think coaches aren't deciding who gets paid I don't know what to tell you.
If CBJ isn't trusted to manage our NIL budget for his roster then we have the wrong coach.

I am as big a Payne fan as anyone on here, but in watching the NIT it is painfully clear that Garcia is our best offensive weapon and Payne's attributes are worthless without him being able to be an offensive threat late in games

If CBJ isn't trusted to manage our NIL budget for his roster then we have the wrong coach.
It's illegal for CBJ to have anything to do with NIL.

But we do have the wrong coach.

It's illegal for CBJ to have anything to do with NIL.

But we do have the wrong coach.
I know nothing about NIL distribution. Under the current rules, who decides how much each program has to spend and how it's allocated amongst the team/players/recruits?

I know nothing about NIL distribution. Under the current rules, who decides how much each program has to spend and how it's allocated amongst the team/players/recruits?
What rules? I think what happens is that there is a pot built and based on what is in it the coach has a budget he can work with and spreads it around as he sees fit- then the collective takes those marching orders and sets up the deals per the coach's wishes.

My theory is that Payne came in and he and the coach talked about plans for him on the court and NIL. When Payne told the coach what he was being told what the market is for his services- Ben said, sorry we don't have the kind of a budget. Here's what we have, let us know if you can make that work.

What rules? I think what happens is that there is a pot built and based on what is in it the coach has a budget he can work with and spreads it around as he sees fit- then the collective takes those marching orders and sets up the deals per the coach's wishes.

My theory is that Payne came in and he and the coach talked about plans for him on the court and NIL. When Payne told the coach what he was being told what the market is for his services- Ben said, sorry we don't have the kind of a budget. Here's what we have, let us know if you can make that work.

This is the most rational theory posited thus far.

Last edited:

Money may be a factor, but more that he is looking at other players than knowing he will get more somewhere else. The bigger issue is that Payne does not like the feedback he is getting and the role he has had and will have. He thinks he offers more offensively than he does, and doesn't like that the coaches tell him, "That was a foul," when he does stupid things like stick his chest out on a hedge repeatedly despite practicing otherwise. NIL not as big of an obstacle as some here think.

Thanks...the idea that coaches have no say/control in NIL distribution is simply implausible to me.

In fantasy land he doesn't. If you think coaches aren't deciding who gets paid I don't know what to tell you.
I dunno, you could tell me a fact...I know that is a foreign concept to you. What you are saying is no more steep in truth than the BS numbers being thrown around about how much players are offered.

We all know the U does not break the rules that way...hell there is a group of posters here who want us to and whine we dont.

Until someone proves otherwise I just dont buy Ben is in charge of who gets what...and if he is then I really don't want him in charge.

We could raise more NIL money by starting an auction site for portal players where suitors could come in and bid on their services. Like an eBay for college athletes. $49 listing fee. 2% of proceeds we take from the transaction.

We create contracts similar to other services like cell phones and cable TV. The longer the term, the better the deal. Since there aren't any rules and the NCAA are basically a bunch of eunuchs, we even offer a month to month contract, which means players can transfer in season. But those guys command a premium.

Who cares if someone tries to sue us. It's not like the courts are going to uphold it anyway.

:unsure:

I dunno, you could tell me a fact...I know that is a foreign concept to you. What you are saying is no more steep in truth than the BS numbers being thrown around about how much players are offered.

We all know the U does not break the rules that way...hell there is a group of posters here who want us to and whine we dont.

Until someone proves otherwise I just dont buy Ben is in charge of who gets what...and if he is then I really don't want him in charge.
He provides clear direction to those leading DA. They don't do anything with a player before Ben, or PJ in football, have shared priorities.

If cbj doesn't determine $$, who specifically does?

Top Bottom