Paying respect to West Virginia's tradition of singing Country Roads after big victories (videos)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I love traditions like this, that have meaning to the home team and are unique to them. Would be cool to be at a West Virginia home game after a big victory to experience this.

Go Gophers!!

Country Roads Take Me Home is a gift to West Virginia.

I bet every Virginian knows the lyrics to John Denver's classic.

Is there a John Denver Statue on the WVU campus? They should.

My only encounter with W Virginia fans was in 2009 at the Anaheim Thanksgiving weekend basketball tourney the Gophers also participated. Mountaineer hoops fans traveled pretty well, and Huggins led them to the title. They played John Denver in celebration. Really good team that made it to the Final 4.

That Friday afternoon the football team played Pitt, and there was a big viewing party at the ESPN Zone across the street at Disneyland.

My only encounter with W Virginia fans was in 2009 at the Anaheim Thanksgiving weekend basketball tourney the Gophers also participated. Mountaineer hoops fans traveled pretty well, and Huggins led them to the title. They played John Denver in celebration. Really good team that made it to the Final 4.

That Friday afternoon the football team played Pitt, and there was a big viewing party at the ESPN Zone across the street at Disneyland.
I was at that tournament in Anaheim. Spent time with Butler and WV fans, had a great time with them. Gophers opened with a victory over ranked Butler and then lost two straight.

Tough night for me! I was born a Gopher, 3 or 4 blocks from the Barn/Memorial Stadium. My Dad received his masters and PHD from the U, so my brothers and I attended University High School, which was located between the River and Dinkytown. Before my freshman year in 1968 the U closed the school.The school, by the way, was day care to high school! That same year, my Dad took a job at the then all girl school, Radford College, in Radford ,Virginia. I went on and had a successful b-ball career, which included being a four year letterman at...........WVU! So tonight, I will be rooting against my alma mater for the first time ever! Go Gophers!!!!!!!

Minnesota trivia: John Denver’s first wife was from St. Peter, MN and they lived in Edina for three years before moving to Aspen.

Reactions: Go4

The song lost a little luster for me when I learned that John Denver was not from and had never even been to West Virginia, but still a great tradition.

Huggins and I played together for three years. When he returned as WVU's Coach, he got all his teammates back together again. It was great thing that he did for his teammates and we are closer than ever before! Bob is a great guy and nothing like his on court demeanor he had in the past( he has mellowed somewhat the last couple of years). He is a soft spoken, generous and funny man off the court. I remember the Anaheim tourney with my two favorite teams in it. I talked to Bob before the team went to California that year. I told him, Huggs, I would love to be at that tourney as my two teams were playing in it. He looked at me and got real quiet...... Dave, he said, I don't think I can work it out for you to fly out to LA for a week! I looked at him and said, Huggs, you are lucky to get me to come for the reunions, I wouldn't want to go to California for a week!( I am a hermit that barely leaves our farm in sw Virginia.)

Top Bottom