Paul Chryst - not a bad guy

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
I have probably read more about Paul Chryst and have listened to more of his interviews this year than I ever have. I know a lot of you could never put the fact that he is coach at Wisconsin aside ... however, I think he is a nice, down to earth guy that a lot of us would love if he were our coach. I can see why a lot of kids like him. So I will hate on Wisconsin whenever we play them. However, I can't hate on him from what I've seen so far. He lightyears different than Bret Bielema ... he was just a jerk.

I cant stand any leaders in the Wisconsin program due to steroids.

Last edited:

I have probably read more about Paul Chryst and have listened to more of his interviews this year than I ever have. I know a lot of you could never put the fact that he is coach at Wisconsin aside ... however, I think he is a nice, down to earth guy that a lot of us would love if he were our coach. I can see why a lot of kids like him. So I will hate on Wisconsin whenever we play them. However, I can't hate on him from what I've seen so far. He lightyears different than Bret Bielema ... he was just a jerk.

I don't remember reading anything indicating he was a dink. Why is this a thread?

I just hear folks hating on anything Wisconsin. Listened to him talk a few times. Like Spoofin said maybe a little boring but seemed like a nice guy.

Folks are complaining and not understanding losing kids to Wisconsin. Just saying a lot of people like a lower energy...down to earth guy.

I just hear folks hating on anything Wisconsin. Listened to him talk a few times. Like Spoofin said maybe a little boring but seemed like a nice guy.

Folks are complaining and not understanding losing kids to Wisconsin. Just saying a lot of people like a lower energy...down to earth guy.
we hate on Wisconsin because we hate wisconsin. I don't care who it is. If you work for/play for Wisconsin I want you to fail in everything you do when it pertains to football.

I cant stand any leaders in the Wisconsin program due to steroids.

You take steroids and that causes you to hate Wisconsin? Might want to cut back if the rage is that strong in you...

Just saying a lot of people like a lower energy.
Lower energy? Dude would make a perfect “before” actor in a testosterone supplement advertisement.

He has the personality of a paper bag. You are waxing poetic about him because why?

What’s next? Are we going to start a thread saying how the port-a-potties in Camp Randall are really the preferable way to use a bathroom?

He seemed like a pretty good coach a couple Saturdays ago.
Lower energy? Dude would make a perfect “before” actor in a testosterone supplement advertisement.

He has the personality of a paper bag. You are waxing poetic about him because why?

What’s next? Are we going to start a thread saying how the port-a-potties in Camp Randall are really the preferable way to use a bathroom?
we all know every successful coach was high energy.

Why would you put something like that on a Gopher site unless you were a Badger fan and a troll? What is the need?

Been a Gopher fan longer than most on here have been alive. So not trolling. The Gopherholers were stressing out and not understanding why any of our instate recruits would go to that place east of us. The simple reason may be that the coach is a likable person. Simple as that.

Might also be because he is 52-15 as Badgers coach. I guarantee you the guy you see being interviewed is not the same guy who interacts with his players.

Fleck says he and Chryst are pretty good friends.
I'm sure he hates losing to them, but Paul seems like a good guy.

Way better than Bert B.

He is definitely lower energy but that works for some as well and maybe he's really good on one-on-one situations which probably matters greatly.

Different styles.

Not a bad guy.

That's all a part of a rivalry. Fleck could save a family from a burning building and some WI fans would find a way to complain about it.

Been a Gopher fan longer than most on here have been alive. So not trolling. The Gopherholers were stressing out and not understanding why any of our instate recruits would go to that place east of us. The simple reason may be that the coach is a likable person. Simple as that.

There are lots of reasons why recruits choose to go to one school over another but I would be willing to bet the head coach being a nice guy or likeable person doesn't hold a ton of weight for most kids. I mean it matters but would not be a good thing to base a college decision on.

As for Chryst, not sure we need a thread defending him since I have not seen him get attacked on here the way a guy like Bielema did (well deserved). I am sure there some fans in here that would prefer Chryst's personality over Fleck's because they don't like the more high energy style that Fleck brings to the table. Chryst seems like a decent guy and is obviously a solid head coach as well. Given the choice though I would choose Fleck over him.

That’s all you really had to say

It's OK to appreciate or even like Chryst as a person and still hate the Badger.

Christ is too boring and PJ is too outgoing! Got it
Neither, really. I was making a joke because every time PC’s name comes up on here someone brings up his personality in the context of it being “wrong” for a HC.

Sure, Chryst is almost impossible to dislike. I may not like Wisconsin but I mean Chryst is just a guy so along with Gard...there isn’t much to hate other than Chryst winning.

The interesting comment I see is that he’s “not Bielema”...

Is it just because he was a pompous guy for a rival or are we doing a double standard? If Bielema is a crappy/bad guy because he ran up the score one time and was cocky/obsessed with himself...what does that make PJ? Or do we not think he’s obsessed with himself as well?

Sure, Chryst is almost impossible to dislike. I may not like Wisconsin but I mean Chryst is just a guy so along with Gard...there isn’t much to hate other than Chryst winning.

The interesting comment I see is that he’s “not Bielema”...

Is it just because he was a pompous guy for a rival or are we doing a double standard? If Bielema is a crappy/bad guy because he ran up the score one time and was cocky/obsessed with himself...what does that make PJ? Or do we not think he’s obsessed with himself as well?

PJ's fit and elite. Bert is a fat Badger jerk.

In all honesty, I think there is a big difference even though they both likely have inflated egos (most good coaches do).

PJ is more annoying, but I wouldn't call him a jerk.
Bert is a jerk.

Someone that is as obsessed with themselves as PJ, Bert, or 75% of major college coaches is very likely a jerk. If you’re that obsessed with yourself, you are likely an asshole at some point.

He should have gotten the job instead of Basement Brew.
So you're saying we should have hired a different former TE coach for the Chargers and that would have solved everything??? :)

He probably didn't legitimately have the right experience then, and probably wasn't looking at that point. MACturi would have probably been canned for conflict of interest based on the lack of experience and PC being his God son. The tough one was whether he should have been hired rather than Kill. But it seemed like Badger Joel was intentionally avoiding him based on the relationship. Another one of those "What if?" questions we'll never know the answer to.

Top Bottom