Patrick Reusse: Mankato West QB no longer seeing red (worth reading!)

A nice article by Pat on the evening of a victory over Hogeyes. Hell freezing over.

I assume the intention is to red-shirt Nelson next year to give him and Shortell two years separation?

I assume the intention is to red-shirt Nelson next year to give him and Shortell two years separation?

I hope so! To me, this would be ideal situation unless Nelson unseats Shortell as the back-up. Granted, this depends on if Gray keeps improving over the rest of the season and into spring ball. I'm excited to see how the qb position plays out over the next few years as I can see Nelson becoming very successful here!

More like, the intention is to redshirt Nelson because there is no chance that Nelson unseats Gray next year. Shortell is a serviceable backup and will continue to be so for each of the next 3 years.

The last sentence of Phillip's final quote is precious!!

"Yes, I'm all Gopher now, and so are my parents," he said. "But my older sister, Meredith, is in school at Madison now. We still have some work to do to completely convert her."

Impressive attitude.

Good article by Ruesse. Sounds like Nelson is the real deal. Nice get by Kill.

Maxx Williams sounds like a player too.

That was good article. Surprisingly upbeat. Gopher football could be in for some good times for the quite some time. If Gray continues to improve his qb play, we could be stocked with qb's for the foreseeable future. Plus, the o line should continue to improve as well as the skill positions. Hopefully, the gopher's day is coming.

Reusse on Nelson via AM1500 (not Strib)

I know the old man loves to get gopher fb fans going with his shots, but his praise of Nelson in this article is about as positive as I've ever seen from him:

http://www.1500espn.com/blogs/badgers_will_regret_missing_on_nelson

I hope either West makes it to the prep bowl, or someone posts some highlights of Nelson from this season. I'm really looking forward to seeing him play.

I am so elated that Pat Reusse is no longer covering the Gophers. He was so biased against the Gophers and toxic in his dislike that he took everyone down with him. Nothing they did made him happy. I'll lay odds that he never stepped foot on campus for a single practice, yet he took every shot in the book at them. Now he can put down high school students! I'm sure he'll have fun pulling the wings off of flies with those kids! He's where his old, angry cynicism should be - high school sports. Maybe they can help him remember why he used to like sports.

I am so elated that Pat Reusse is no longer covering the Gophers. He was so biased against the Gophers and toxic in his dislike that he took everyone down with him. Nothing they did made him happy. I'll lay odds that he never stepped foot on campus for a single practice, yet he took every shot in the book at them. Now he can put down high school students! I'm sure he'll have fun pulling the wings off of flies with those kids! He's where his old, angry cynicism should be - high school sports. Maybe they can help him remember why he used to like sports.

Reusse is a columnist and a pretty good one. I think he will continue write about and cover who ever he wants to. This has been beaten to death, but his radio and web writing is purely to get people going. It is part of his popularity.

I thought this thread was about Nelson.

I agree it should be. Nelson should come in and push for the starting spot. I hope Gray is good enough in the system so the coaches have to make a tough redshirt decision. I've seen Nelson play a few times and he is the real deal. They will be tested by Hutch this Saturday. Hutch was 8-0 in the Wright County Conference. They have four teams playing in Section finals this weekend. West had it biggest test this last week to 6th place team in the Wright County. I hope West gets to the Dome so people can see the game either on the web or TV. The West/Hutch winner will meet the St. Thomas/South St. Paul winner on 11/11 at Chanhassen HS 7PM.

Top Bottom