Pat Forde's Minutes

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Forde has a fair and balanced approach discussing the Jim Calhoun press conference. The geek asking the question was looking for headlines, no doubt, but Calhoun really can be a dink sometimes as well.

That said, it's Jim Calhoun's money. As Forde said, Calhoun has earned it & can do whatever he wants with it. Nothing I can stomach less than a tool who likes to tell others (with more money) what they should do with their money, or try to make them feel guilty for having it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3930149&sportCat=ncb

Media and tool in the same sentence? Never.

His comments concerning the Big Ten were a little off I thought as well! And even though the Gophers have struggled of late, Tubby should at least get a mention as Coach of the Year candidate, IMO anyway!

A coach of the year candidate? For real? Tubby has done a nice job of making the Gophers an above average team, but National COY? Not even close.

His comments concerning the Big Ten were a little off I thought as well! And even though the Gophers have struggled of late, Tubby should at least get a mention as Coach of the Year candidate, IMO anyway!

C'mon, this is ridiculous. Back in mid-January when this team was 16-1?? Heck yeah, but Tubby's not even in the top 5 in in the B10 this year. I would vote for Bill Carmody and Ed Dechellis before Tubby. As of right now, the Gophers are right about where most pegged them at the beginning of the season....a NCAA bubble team. Please explain to me how that warrants COY honors?

C'mon, this is ridiculous. Back in mid-January when this team was 16-1?? Heck yeah, but Tubby's not even in the top 5 in in the B10 this year. I would vote for Bill Carmody and Ed Dechellis before Tubby. As of right now, the Gophers are right about where most pegged them at the beginning of the season....a NCAA bubble team. Please explain to me how that warrants COY honors?

Compile a list of the top players in the Big Ten. See how big the list can get before you can name a single Gopher.

And if you told most people that Bostick wouldn't amount to a whole lot and Hoffarber would turn into college basketball's version of Steve Blass, would they still have predicted a bubble team?

What's your point?

My point is that the team has not exceeded expectations, nor have they been a disappointment. At this point, they have slightly improved from last year. Just because Tubby doesn't have lots of NBA talent doesn't make him John Wooden.

I think you're giving Tubby too much credit because of his past success. If anyone else is coaching this team, we're not having this debate.

Compile a list of the top players in the Big Ten. See how big the list can get before you can name a single Gopher.

And if you told most people that Bostick wouldn't amount to a whole lot and Hoffarber would turn into college basketball's version of Steve Blass, would they still have predicted a bubble team?

Question - who recruited and has coached Bostick this past season?

To be clear, I'm thrilled we have Tubby Smith as our head coach, the future of Gopher basketball is bright. But there's just no way he's anywhere near the conversation for National Coach of the Year. If we win 2 of our last 3, Tubby's got a shot for Big 10 Coach of the Year, but otherwise I'd agree with Art that DeChellis (I'd throw in Weber as well) is the leading candidate.

A coach of the year candidate? For real? Tubby has done a nice job of making the Gophers an above average team, but National COY? Not even close.

He won COY awards in 3 different seasons. 1998, 2003, and 2005.

So far, the Gophers' 2009 season doesn't measure up to those years.

Question - who recruited and has coached Bostick this past season?

:)

"These guys are hungry. They want to have a great year next year. So, realistically yes, I think we should be going to the NCAA tournament next year. "

Top Bottom