Partial Scholarships

CWCWCW

Reaction score
It's my understanding that only full scholarships are awarded in Division 1 Football. What's the reason for this? I know that hockey allows partial scholarships. I'm pretty sure basketball only allows full rides too.
What would be the arguments of offering let's say 80 full ride scholarships and 10 half scholarships? Would that be an advantage to certain teams? Would it not be in the best interest of the student athlete?

The idea is to level the playing field. In every other sport there are a smaller pool of scholarships to offer, so you can only accumulate so many players, even with half scholarships. If Texas football could offer 190 half scholarships, for example, that would have a negative effect on schools like SMU, Houston, etc.

Now, I'm not sure if that's the same rationale in basketball or not. I would guess that probably has to do with limited roster size, so it wouldn't make much sense to give half scholarships anyway, but I don't know.

That's a good question and I've never really thought about it.

I think Gopherprof is on the right track that it's about competition. I also wonder if it's about the revenue that these athletes are bringing in. What I mean is that football and basketball bring in a ton of money to their schools. It might seem bizarre for a kid to have to take out a student loan to pay for 1/2 his schooling while he is making his University millions of dollars in a bowl game. I doubt that's the reason, but it's about the only reason it makes sense to me.

FCS and DII can also offer partial scholarships. I believe FCS is 50% or full, but don't know for sure. I do know for a fact that DII can offer whatever they want from 0-full.

Obviously DIII can't offer any athletic scholarships.

FCS and DII can also offer partial scholarships. I believe FCS is 50% or full, but don't know for sure. I do know for a fact that DII can offer whatever they want from 0-full.

I was told by a coach sometime back that you can have a player on a 25% scholie in FCS, however, you cannot have more than 85 players on the roster with some form of scholarship.

I was told by a coach sometime back that you can have a player on a 25% scholie in FCS, however, you cannot have more than 85 players on the roster with some form of scholarship.

To add to the confusion, I knew someone who said he was on an 85% scholarship at an FCS school. I'm guessing FCS can go anywhere from 0-100, but who knows?

http://www.active.com/football/Articles/Crunching_the_Numbers__Football_Scholarships

NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS)
How many schools: There are 120 schools competing in the FBS (formerly Division I-A), the highest level in the collegiate ranks. This includes the big programs like Michigan, Ohio State, LSU, USC and Notre Dame.

Scholarship count: FBS programs are allowed 85 scholarships on its roster at any given time, and generally can sign up to 25 players per year.

Scholarship breakdown: All 85 scholarships are full rides. There are no partial scholarships given in FBS football.

NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (FCS)
How Many Schools: There are 125 schools competing in the FCS (formerly Division I-AA) in 2008. This includes all of the Ivy League schools and FCS powers like Appalachian State, Georgia Southern and Northern Iowa.

Scholarship Count: FCS schools have 63 scholarships to be distributed, and up to 30 incoming players each year can be given aid.

Scholarship Breakdown: Scholarships at FCS schools can be full or partial rides. The 63 grants can be divided up in any way, but no more than 85 players can be put on scholarship.

NCAA Division II
How Many Schools: There are 156 schools competing in NCAA Division II. Some of the more well-known Division II football programs include Northwest Missouri State, Valdosta State and Grand Valley State.

Scholarship Count: Division II programs have 36 scholarships to be distributed, though some conferences don't allow their schools to have that many.

Scholarship Breakdown: Football scholarships at Division-II institutions can be divided among as many players as a program wishes. Most Division-II players are on partial scholarships.

I played D1AA football and technically I was on a "full ride", but it was 70% football and 30% academic money/grants.

Now, I actually like dividing scholarships better because it rewards a team for having smart/diverse players. HOWEVER, the problem and reason D1 schools don't is because every school is different in terms of what qualifies you for certain grants, "academic" scholarships, etc.

I played D1AA football and technically I was on a "full ride", but it was 70% football and 30% academic money/grants.

Now, I actually like dividing scholarships better because it rewards a team for having smart/diverse players. HOWEVER, the problem and reason D1 schools don't is because every school is different in terms of what qualifies you for certain grants, "academic" scholarships, etc.
Thank you to you and the posters above. I didn't know the exact rule for FCS/1aa. For some reason I thought it was 50% or full, but I have no idea how I came up with that. I played DII and our scholarships were all over the board from 10-15k to 1000.

Well, just like D2, a lot of players will say, "Yeah, I'm on a full ride". When, in reality, they may only be on a half scholarship, but the rest is made up for with grants, scholarships, etc.

It's nice for coaches because they can come to a kid and say, yea son, we have a full scholarship for you. But it's unfair in that every school's requirements for academic money is different.

I was on a full ride to play basketball as an undergrad. I received a full ride to each game.

As I remember, Pell Grants can be used to reimburse the school for scholarship costs of students who qualify for Pell Grants on the FBS level. On lower levels they augment the student's scholarship.

Top Bottom