Pac 12 may play on Sunday's if no NFL season

The sanctity of college football played on Saturdays went out the door a long time ago.

Bring it!

If the billionaires and millionaires can't get it all figured out and there is an NFL work stoppage, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Big Ten moved a game or two to Sunday for use on the Big Ten Network. Wouldn't surprise me to see ESPN, ABC, and CBS get in on the act, too.

I'd love it as long as the Gophers never have a Sunday game. Not only would college football become an all-weekend talker in the media, but plain-and-simple I would get to see more games.

I'd love it as long as the Gophers never have a Sunday game. Not only would college football become an all-weekend talker in the media, but plain-and-simple I would get to see more games.

Why wouldn't you want the Gophers to play on Sunday? All of those Vikings fans would realize that it's just as good and they don't need the Vikings! The scales would be lifted from their eyes and the Vikings would be on the next bus to L.A. 40 years of darkness would be lifted. :)

Dumb and dumber. Let's think about this--the "games" themselves on Sunday aside:

A bunch of NCAA games are rescheduled to Sunday. OK, that's not a big deal in June, July, or even early August. Let's say the NFL settles, in oh, the last week of August, or even Labor Day.

Are the NCAA teams going to move their games back to Saturday? Change hotel, airline, and ground transport for 100+ players and staff. Bands? Stadium employees? Police and Fire? Parking?

What about TV? Nobody is going to put a college FB game up against the NFL on a Sunday. Let's confuse the fans, too.

This isn't even like rescheduling a basketball game. A lot more players and fans to deal with.

Also, it's easy to reschedule if you are going to a LATER date, not to an earlier one. Also, how many other events in 2011 (concerts, basketball, hockey, etc.) will have already been planned for the Saturday night of a game, or then get moved to Saturday from Sunday to accommodate the rescheduled FB game?

Ain't as easy as it sounds to just "move a game to Sunday"...

That would suck! Gopher football (sorry any NCAA football) is not for Sunday.

Dumb and dumber. Let's think about this--the "games" themselves on Sunday aside:

A bunch of NCAA games are rescheduled to Sunday. OK, that's not a big deal in June, July, or even early August. Let's say the NFL settles, in oh, the last week of August, or even Labor Day.

Are the NCAA teams going to move their games back to Saturday? Change hotel, airline, and ground transport for 100+ players and staff. Bands? Stadium employees? Police and Fire? Parking?

What about TV? Nobody is going to put a college FB game up against the NFL on a Sunday. Let's confuse the fans, too.

This isn't even like rescheduling a basketball game. A lot more players and fans to deal with.

Also, it's easy to reschedule if you are going to a LATER date, not to an earlier one. Also, how many other events in 2011 (concerts, basketball, hockey, etc.) will have already been planned for the Saturday night of a game, or then get moved to Saturday from Sunday to accommodate the rescheduled FB game?

So what do you think FOX and CBS will be doing in the meantime with a bunch of open Sunday morning and afternoon and Monday night slots? Fill them with re-runs, tennis and anything but NFL and take a huge financial hit.

I wonder if there are any contractual agreements between the networks and the NFL that prohibit CFB telecasts on Sundays?

Once a committment is made to play a CFB, the game will go on.

Who will be left out? Oops, I forgot. The NFL has its own network.

That would suck! Gopher football (sorry any NCAA football) is not for Sunday.

Agreed! The reason I hate the NFL is because they play on Sunday when people should be spending time with their family worshiping the Lord.

:cool02::cool02:

Agreed! The reason I hate the NFL is because they play on Sunday when people should be spending time with their family worshiping the Lord.

:cool02::cool02:

I guess Jewish people shouldn't watch college football then? Brilliant logic.

The blasphemers (NFL fans) should be smited for not remembering the Sabbath and keeping it Holy.

Smart for the Pac 10...conferences like the Big Ten and SEC won't do this because they already are enjoying the TV money that they enjoy. The Pac 10 has a pretty crappy TV deal (comparatively)...this would be a shot at some extra ching.

So what do you think FOX and CBS will be doing in the meantime with a bunch of open Sunday morning and afternoon and Monday night slots? Fill them with re-runs, tennis and anything but NFL and take a huge financial hit.

I wonder if there are any contractual agreements between the networks and the NFL that prohibit CFB telecasts on Sundays?

Once a committment is made to play a CFB, the game will go on.

Who will be left out? Oops, I forgot. The NFL has its own network.

You are, let's say, totally wrong on this one. There is a contractural agreement. Currently, three networks--CBS ($3.73B), NBC ($3.6B) and Fox ($4.27B)--as well as cable television's ESPN ($8.8B) are paying a combined total of $20.4 billion. They will broadcast NFL games through the 2011 season for CBS, Fox, and NBC and through 2013 for ESPN.

CBS, Fox, ESPN, and NBC cannot have direct college schedule conflict with NFL games--even against the others' networks. The contract is already signed and inplace, lock-out or not. Once the lock-out is lifted, the games go on.

There will be no commitments to CFB, as it would be a direct violation of the contract. Look for the Pac12 games on the Oprah Network...

I think you raise some good points, but I think you overstate it. No one is saying they would move all games to Sunday. Likely only a small handful. Maybe 4-5 per week nationally (maybe one per week in the Big Ten). If your school happens to be one of them, then you'll have to be flexible. Sure, it would be a pain in the neck to re-schedule, etc., but sports fans and travel coordinators are resilient people. In most cases, kickoff times aren't set until 10 days before anyway, so nothing is ever finalized regarding team travel all that far in advance anyway. Adjustments would be made. If the NFL comes back, then for that ONE week, it becomes a minor nightmare. After that, all things are back to normal.

If there is an NFL lockout, there is most certainly money to be made for CFB by moving a select number of games to Sunday. In this economy, very few networks, conferences, and/or teams will be willing to turn down some extra revenue.

You are, let's say, totally wrong on this one. There is a contractural agreement. Currently, three networks--CBS ($3.73B), NBC ($3.6B) and Fox ($4.27B)--as well as cable television's ESPN ($8.8B) are paying a combined total of $20.4 billion. They will broadcast NFL games through the 2011 season for CBS, Fox, and NBC and through 2013 for ESPN.

CBS, Fox, ESPN, and NBC cannot have direct college schedule conflict with NFL games--even against the others' networks. The contract is already signed and inplace, lock-out or not. Once the lock-out is lifted, the games go on.

There will be no commitments to CFB, as it would be a direct violation of the contract. Look for the Pac12 games on the Oprah Network...

This is an exxageration The Pac-10 already has it's TV contracts with FSN, etc. It's not as though they are going to pull out of them and go to CBS or Fox or NBC anyway. It would simply be a matter of shifting the already agreed to TV game to Sunday. ESPN might not be willing (or able?) to tweek the NFL that way and maybe Fox via FSN wouldn't either, but neither of them have a direct conflict that would prevent them from showing the games on Sunday if the Pac 10 is willing. At worst I believe Versus has rights to some games as well and could pick up the Sunday games if FSN is not allowed.

There are a few things in sports that God intended. Like the Rose Bowl being played in New Year's Day after noon, the NCAA tournament being 64 teams, Augusta National looking like heaven during the Master's, etc, etc. One of these things that God intended is for big time college football to be played on Saturday. It's just the way it's should be, don't question it, don't mess with it. The reason the NFL plays on Sunday is because CFB plays on Saturday not the other way around.

Top Bottom