P.J. Fleck

Nomellini

Reaction score
I am hoping we do not suffer another program implosion with attendant start-over coaching change. However, this Western Michigan coach is young, charismatic and he can coach. I wonder if he would consider Minnesota if we wound up needing a new coach and knocked on his door?

He is probably pretty high on the list of most teams looking for a new coach.

I just don't see his next step being above Purdue or Minnesota. Purdue might be only Big Ten School looking for a coach, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree- an SEC team isn't taking a MAC coach, nor is Oregon or ASU if they fire their coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I heard he was kind of a recruiter and a motivator, which might allow you to be successful in a conference like the MAC where, as far as I know, no programs have huge built-in advantages over others. Darrell Hazell gave Kent State an 11-2 season and even had them ranked briefly, but obviously wasn't able to accomplish much at Purdue.

I can understand thinking he'd go for something better than Purdue or Minnesota since it seems he has a lot of hype behind him, but I don't see a USC or LSU hiring a coach out of the MAC. Maybe Baylor? But even they've been pretty terrible until relatively recently.

I assume that Fleck would be near the top of their list if they were to be looking for a new coach. I would also assume he will be near the top of everyone's list.

I agree with Cayman's post. A lot of good coaches over the years have gotten their start in the MAC, but I think folks need to realize that coaching there is a different beast in terms of recruiting and having talent across-the-board than it is in a Power 5 conference. Coaches who come out of the MAC thinking "football is football" regardless of where it is played have a little trouble making the step to a more competitive conference. What that means in terms of Fleck is anyone's guess.

I thought I heard he was kind of a recruiter and a motivator, which might allow you to be successful in a conference like the MAC where, as far as I know, no programs have huge built-in advantages over others. Darrell Hazell gave Kent State an 11-2 season and even had them ranked briefly, but obviously wasn't able to accomplish much at Purdue.

I can understand thinking he'd go for something better than Purdue or Minnesota since it seems he has a lot of hype behind him, but I don't see a USC or LSU hiring a coach out of the MAC. Maybe Baylor? But even they've been pretty terrible until relatively recently.

Hazell was only at Kent St for 2 years. Does not prove much other than he can coach other guys players. Not there long enough to show recruiting ability. I'd rather see a guy who has proven hi,self over longer period of time before they move up a level. At least fleck is winning with his own players

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well how much are we going to pay our next coach?
Remember we also don't know what openings there will be after the season and the first round of hires happen.

I could see Arkansas taking a strong look at FlecK if they give Bielema the boot. SEC schools seem to go for that high energy, motivational speaker, recruiting coordinator salesmen types.

I could see Arkansas taking a strong look at FlecK if they give Bielema the boot. SEC schools seem to go for that high energy, motivational speaker, recruiting coordinator salesmen types.
Arkansas is not firing thier fat pig

If the U did not hire Claeys permanently I was hoping we would go After Fleck. I'm 100 percent behind Claeys now. I'm sure Mark Coyle will read my comment here and decide to stick with the coaching staff.

Arkansas is not firing thier fat pig

Arkansas has big money boosters that write checks, that we do not. If they want to toss out Bielema they have the money to buy him out. I sense a growing frustration amongst the Arkansas fan base that they want Bielema out, especially with the struggles against Auburn and Alabama.

If the U did not hire Claeys permanently I was hoping we would go After Fleck. I'm 100 percent behind Claeys now. I'm sure Mark Coyle will read my comment here and decide to stick with the coaching staff.

Given the size of his buyout, I think it's safe to say they didn't hire him permanently.

Hinted same thing last November. As to why? Given that time, I thought it was best option to keep as much of our staff intact and recruits committed.
PJ was once on the NIU Staff so thought it was something worth looking at. Liked Hudspeth too but I think they ended up with violations at UL-Lafayette.

Top Bottom