P.J. Fleck 'will not accept losing,' calls moral victories 'rat poison'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Tony:

"We really haven't played 60 minutes of elite football yet, which gives up hope and excitement as we keep going forward," Fleck said. "You have to be really good at losing to continue to find ways to win — and I am not accepting losing. What I am saying is you have to understand that when you do lose, you're going to learn the most."

"We're all over moral victories, I think you can all understand that about me, there are no moral victories," Fleck said. "When you're getting told, 'Man that was such a great fight, oh that was so amazing' from the external, which is fine, you can have that in the moment. But then after that, that can be just as much rat poison as winning that game and getting pat on the back, great job."

Go Gophers!!

going Captain Obvious here -- if you don't want to accept losing, then find a way to win the game. find a way to get your players to play 60 minutes of football.

Per Tony:

"We really haven't played 60 minutes of elite football yet, which gives up hope and excitement as we keep going forward," Fleck said. "You have to be really good at losing to continue to find ways to win — and I am not accepting losing. What I am saying is you have to understand that when you do lose, you're going to learn the most."

"We're all over moral victories, I think you can all understand that about me, there are no moral victories," Fleck said. "When you're getting told, 'Man that was such a great fight, oh that was so amazing' from the external, which is fine, you can have that in the moment. But then after that, that can be just as much rat poison as winning that game and getting pat on the back, great job."

Go Gophers!!
What a load of crap!!

Per Tony:

Go Gophers!!

Man, PJ has a hard time clearly conveying a simple thought. I wonder if his coaches tune him out. 🤔

Five star heart, but three star slogans this week.

Moral victories are for the fans, the players that care are pissed off. Listening to Gopher Gridiron this week was sort of a microcosm of fandom. Burns was over it, pissed off and grumbling about missed opportunities, poor execution and decisions that resulted in losing, Buer was embracing the afterglow of an almost comeback victory and they were almost at loggerheads over it at times. Both reactions are fine, and natural. You almost have to be an eternal optimist to follow this team.

How about better recruiting Fleck
I think PJ recruits about as well as expected given the lack of advantages he has to work with. Of the 18 former Gophers on NFL rosters, maybe 4 are Kill/Claeys recruits. Plus Bucky Irving is a PJ recruit. Want a roster filled with 4-star+ recruits, pony up some big time NIL dollars and make it happen. If that isn't viable for you, nothing will change until that gets ramped up.

Burns was over it, pissed off and grumbling about missed opportunities, poor execution and decisions that resulted in losing, Buer was embracing the afterglow of an almost comeback victory and they were almost at loggerheads over it at times.
So, they created a podcast bit where you take one side and I’ll take the other.

Been there, done that. So over done.

I think PJ recruits about as well as expected given the lack of advantages he has to work with. Of the 18 former Gophers on NFL rosters, maybe 4 are Kill/Claeys recruits. Plus Bucky Irving is a PJ recruit. Want a roster filled with 4-star+ recruits, pony up some big time NIL dollars and make it happen. If that isn't viable for you, nothing will change until that gets ramped up.
I don't know how accurate this site is: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/colleges/_/sort/players

but, with 18 active on NFL rosters, that puts us at #36 overall. Not a perfect science, but I would assume if you want to be an AP top 25 team, you should be producing talent that will put you in the top 25 by this measurement on a consistent basis. Notable exceptions to this like FL and UCLA producing a ton of pro talent but are utter dumpster fires. Outside the usuals, we are behind Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois and roughly on pace with Maryland.

Top Bottom