P.J. Fleck compares freshman Kerry Brown to Antoine Winfield Jr., Tyler Nubin

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Tony:

"You know why Antoine Winfield Jr. is as good as he is? Cause he smiles all the time, he loves playing the game of football. You know why Tyler Nubin is so good? He loves playing the game and he smiles all the time, and they have short, goldfish memories," Fleck said. "Kerry Brown is a young player, and he's the exact same way. He loves playing the game, he loves every aspect of it. I mean he'd play offense if you let him. He would do anything for the team."

Go Gophers!!

Per Tony:

"You know why Antoine Winfield Jr. is as good as he is? Cause he smiles all the time, he loves playing the game of football. You know why Tyler Nubin is so good? He loves playing the game and he smiles all the time, and they have short, goldfish memories," Fleck said. "Kerry Brown is a young player, and he's the exact same way. He loves playing the game, he loves every aspect of it. I mean he'd play offense if you let him. He would do anything for the team."

Go Gophers!!
I think there might be more to it than that.

Sarcasm aside it is pretty high praise for the coach to be mentioning Brown in the same breath as Winfield and Nubin who were phenomenal safeties for us. If Brown can follow in their footsteps that would be awesome for us.

Running around with a shit-eating grin and a goldfish memory as the keys to success doesn't speak super highly of the mental complexity of the game
Doesn't matter how much I know the other team ... if I'm old and slow like I am now... I won't get that INT.

Running around with a shit-eating grin and a goldfish memory as the keys to success doesn't speak super highly of the mental complexity of the game
Whoa ... Time Out called on that kind of talk. (Fleck call it; I didn't. And he still has one left).

At safety, having a goldfish memory is about the opposite of what you want given how much is based off anticipation, recognizing and diagnosing plays,
personally find the goldfish analogy in football to not apply outside of playing press corner I guess and I’m pretty sure Winfield and Nubin got it done because they busted their ass and were students of the game. Such a weird sound bite from PJ

Sarcasm aside it is pretty high praise for the coach to be mentioning Brown in the same breath as Winfield and Nubin who were phenomenal safeties for us. If Brown can follow in their footsteps that would be awesome for us.
The beauty in all of this is that we hear about these guys when they commit, and on signing day, but then not much at all for a year ... sometimes two or three years.

And yet, buried in all those names there are young guys growing up who will soon remind their coach of Gopher greats. That's a lot of fun to watch.

It is but it's not too surprising. In addition to his two interceptions, he is the third leading tackler on the team as a redshirt freshman. Last year as a true freshman he had five tackles in the bowl game.

Top Bottom