Overtime

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Today's Georgia-Florida game is a prime example of why I hate the college overtime rules. Florida stops Georgia from scoring, then does nothing on offense. But because they start in FG range, their kicker boots it through and they win. They should start at the 35 or 40 if you ask me. Make the team earn a first down before they get a shot at points.

IMO...I'd rather give each team a shot then live by the NFL OT Rules...

I mean in all fairness it's not Florida's Offenses fault that Georgia's couldn't score...

IMO...I'd rather give each team a shot then live by the NFL OT Rules...

I mean in all fairness it's not Florida's Offenses fault that Georgia's couldn't score...

I understand that, I just think you should have to earn the chance to get points, not just get the ball in FG range already.

I understand that, I just think you should have to earn the chance to get points, not just get the ball in FG range already.

I think it would be better if they make you start at the 40...that nearly makes getting a 1st Down a necessity to get at least in FG range...

Call me old fashioned but I liked the days when games could end in a tie. It made the end of regulation exciting.

Still better than NFL sudden death rules. Should try an additional single 8 minute 5th quarter and be done at the end no matter the score.

I was perfectly fine with the old overtime rules. I don't like the new circus overtime and the results of it don't feel legitimate.

"I was perfectly fine with the old overtime rules. I don't like the new circus overtime and the results of it don't feel legitimate. "

What are the old rules?

I love the current format. Each team gets a chance. I hate the old way that left games in ties, and the NFL sudden death format.

As it stands now, I like the NFL overtime much better, especially with the change in the playoff overtime rules where if the team who gets the ball first kicks a FG, the other team gets a chance to score themselves. In the NFL, all of special teams still matters, and teams aren't given the ball practically in the red zone. If college moved it back to the 40, then my opinion may change a little.

There was nothing wrong with ties - they were an important part of the game. A tie could be an upset victory of sorts. Overtime should be limited to bowl games and conference championships and each team should kick off from their own ten or so, instead of this ridiculous placing of the ball at the 25. The pro system is even worse.

Overtime should be the following:

The heaviest player from each team lines up on one goal line. They must run to the opposite goal line, touch the endzone with their hand, then run back across the original goal line. Full contact between the two is allowed (minus facemasks). The rest of both teams will line up on the hashmarks along the whole length of the field. Those players are allowed to throw any amount of footballs, pads, helmets, shoes, water bottles, gatorade coolers, etc. at the two racers.

Didn't Georgia also start in fg range. Seems fair. One team converted the other didn't.

I strongly disagree,and feel the college system is way better than the NFL. A quick Google search shows that in old NFL rules, the team winning the toss won 30% of the time with out the other team even touching the ball, and 60% of the time overall. That's a pretty huge advantage.

Obviously the NFL thinks this is dumb as well because they changed the rules to include some concept of the college game, which is giving the other team a chance to score. Although it's more complicated - if team A gets a FG, then team B gets the ball with a chance to score, but if team A gets a TD the game is over. If team A gets a FG then team B counters with a FG, then it goes back to sudden death. That is just as convoluted as the college OT.

Perhaps moving the ball back to the 30 would be a better balance. Any longer than that might lengthen each OT period too much. If the O goes nowhere, it's a 47 yd FG attempt which is the upper limit for 99% of college kickers. If you go backwards (sack/penalty), you're pretty much done. If you make reasonable progress you could get a reasonable 40 yard FG if you didn't get the first down.

the NFL buckeled under media pressure to change OT. the players like OT just the way it is. their feeling is that OT is not to determine a winner but to break a tie. the teams have 60 minutes to win the game, and since the league wants to have as few ties as possible, needs a way to break the tie. I dont mind the NFL OT, but hate the college OT. Too much advantage to the team going second, and as others have mentioned, need to move the ball back to the 40 or something, should have to accomplish something in order to attempt a 42 yard FG. Ties in college would be ok by me. In the NFL OT, your D can stop the opponets O and get the ball back, In college you D can allow zero yards and give up a very makeable 42 yd FG

NFL Rules are terrible. Those who like the rules say it includes all aspects of the game, which is a fallacy, it doesn't include one of the most important, which is clock management. As someone else said, add a timed period after the end of regulation and whoever wins that, wins the game.

As far as the college rules, the only issue is the scoring gets inflated. When you give a team the ball in the 25 3 times, chances are they will score something, which means the d's stats get screwed. The only way I can think of to fix that would be to alter the OT scoring, so FG=1, TD =2, XP =1, which would really be confusing.

Each team should start at the 50.

Each time should start at the 45 at the same time. So while the Florida offense is trying to score on Georgia's defense the Georgia offense is trying to score on the Florida defense.

I miss the tie game. Sometimes, the football gods are trying to tell you something. If you have to go to 6 OT periods to break a tie, then the game really should have been a tie all along. OT games can make scores seem misleading, I think that when they show the scores for all the games in the media guide, that for OT games they show both the score at the end of regulation and the final score. Otherwise, a high scoring OT game can distort how the offense and defense did for the season.

Ties really give an advantage to teams that do well once they get in the red zone. They put at a disadvantage teams that have been keeping the opponent out of the red zone. Back when there were tie games, an underdog could get the tying score, and have something to cheer about. There will be no more stories like "Harvard Beats Yale 29-29".

Play an additional 8 minute period, with regular rules. If it is still tie at that point play sudden death, NFL style.

Top Bottom