Overall

GopherFanatic19

Reaction score
Overall I think this program is on the rise and we will be better in the years to come. Yeah some of the old hacks will complain, but if you compare this years squad with last few years squads, it already shows we have improved.

On the offense. Nelson looks like he will be a very good QB who can run and throw which is very important. Maybe he will be like a T. Martinez just a better thrower which is great. McDonald looks to be a very good WR, big and fast. We also have Barker for a few years. Our Freshman TE is a big guy and looks like he has some great hands. I wish we used him a little more because he can find ways to get open. Our Offensive line is very young with good players. We have a freshman RB in Williams who looks to be like a tank and now if we can find like a Ball or White type RB then we could be very well there.

For Defense we have some work to do. Hageman is our leader and will be here next year. We have a good safety in Wells. I like I pass rush and passing defense. We do need to work on the running rush and Defense and if we get that down then we will have a very good D.

Overall we are young, it is very hard to look past that. We broke down today Vs Wisconsin and it showed. When you have a lot of FR and SO plying in important roles you can not expeect to go 14-0 or even 9-3. We will be better next year and the year after no doubt about it. I think we can get to 6 wins or 5. I have seen a big improvement over last year and the years before and I like what I am seeing so far in terms of improvement. It hasnt shown in the Win columns but people who think we were going to be undefeated are unrealistic.

I like the way our future looks with some of these guys!!!

GOPHERS #1
SKI-U-MAH

Ya I agree with a decent amount of this Fanatic, the loss to Wisconsin hurts but it was hardly unexpected.

Run defense was what we thought it was. I guess not a huge surprise Wisconsin ran as well as they did but it still hurts to lose to these guys. Linebacker play needs to get better above all else, 2 seniors and a RS Jr shouldn't be tentative plugging gaps but they are. Just gotta hope the new guys coming in next year make an impact.

13 points ppg isn't going to win you a lot of football games, even in the B1G. Nelson played about as well as I thought he realistically today considering the circumstances. The 2nd pick wasn't good but I'm not going to get too worked up about it considering the game was out of hand at that point. This offense needs to start coming together in these last games. Are they beat up? Yes. Are they young? Yes. But at some point they need to get some positive momentum going, if not for this year for next year especially.

I'm way more upbeat about the offense's potential than the defense. We will have a lot of unknown guys stepping into starting roles on the defense next year, and with Nelson starting we are going to know basically our whole offense. Just gotta hope the offense starts putting up more points.

Overall I think this program is on the rise and we will be better in the years to come. Yeah some of the old hacks will complain, but if you compare this years squad with last few years squads, it already shows we have improved.

On the offense. Nelson looks like he will be a very good QB who can run and throw which is very important. Maybe he will be like a T. Martinez just a better thrower which is great. McDonald looks to be a very good WR, big and fast. We also have Barker for a few years. Our Freshman TE is a big guy and looks like he has some great hands. I wish we used him a little more because he can find ways to get open. Our Offensive line is very young with good players. We have a freshman RB in Williams who looks to be like a tank and now if we can find like a Ball or White type RB then we could be very well there.

For Defense we have some work to do. Hageman is our leader and will be here next year. We have a good safety in Wells. I like I pass rush and passing defense. We do need to work on the running rush and Defense and if we get that down then we will have a very good D.

Overall we are young, it is very hard to look past that. We broke down today Vs Wisconsin and it showed. When you have a lot of FR and SO plying in important roles you can not expeect to go 14-0 or even 9-3. We will be better next year and the year after no doubt about it. I think we can get to 6 wins or 5. I have seen a big improvement over last year and the years before and I like what I am seeing so far in terms of improvement. It hasnt shown in the Win columns but people who think we were going to be undefeated are unrealistic.

I like the way our future looks with some of these guys!!!

GOPHERS #1
SKI-U-MAH

Thank you for the comments! Helps to put things into perspective. I'm back off the ledge after the game. It is just very frustrating for everyone, especially after starting 4-0 (albeit, against subpar competition) and it is really taking it's toll on us as fans. There were a lot of bright spots in the game today. But, there was also a lot of area for concern. Mainly, the run defense was absolutely non-existent. I will go ahead and attribute that to youth and strength, but it certainly better improve by seasons end because we should certainly know how to stop it by now. It seems like we are getting attacked consistently they same way with the run every game.

Offensively, we just need to get the offense healthy in all places in general. The line is hurt all over the place and it seems like we just need to get healthy.

So, hopefully, going forward, we just need to show improvement every week. We definetly have a chance for a W next week as Purdue just lost a heartbreaker in Columbus. So, hopefully, we can capitalize on being at home and beat Purdue to get us 1 win closer to a bowl game. I still have faith!

Go Gophers!

The defense played all right for awhile. I think all of the quick 3 and outs by the Minnesota offense added up and in the second half they were gassed. Need more production from the offense, especially on first down. Also would like to see the day come when our special teams is no longer a liability.

This outcome was expected but it still sucks and was tough to watch.

Tough spot for the offense with all of the injuries at QB, WR, and especially OL.

Anyone notice how many times the announcer said Freshman today?

At one point, a true freshman QB lined up in the backfield next to a true freshman RB, then faked the handoff to a true freshman on the reverse and threw to a true freshman WR, who was helped up by a true freshman TE.

We need the Olson's at full strength, and DCT and Fruechette back.

Defense played not terrible. Got no help from the offense.

The current situation is bleedingly obvious: we cannot compete in the B10 without a much better offensive line.

Winning football games in this league always has and always will begin upfront on offense.

Tough spot for the offense with all of the injuries at QB, WR, and especially OL.

Anyone notice how many times the announcer said Freshman today?

At one point, a true freshman QB lined up in the backfield next to a true freshman RB, then faked the handoff to a true freshman on the reverse and threw to a true freshman WR, who was helped up by a true freshman TE.

We need the Olson's at full strength, and DCT and Fruechette back.

Man I didn't even realize that but wow, that's a pretty crazy sequence if you think about it.

Man I didn't even realize that but wow, that's a pretty crazy sequence if you think about it.

Nelson, Williams, Maye, McDonald and Plesk got a lot of time today. As did Ekpe and Cockran on the DL

Overall I think this program is on the rise Seriously? A defense without a D1 linebacker that cannot stop a B10 rushing attack along with an offense that cannot convert a 3rd down. Oh, add in a kicker who struggles to make an extra point and makes 50% of his field goals. This definitely is NOT a team on the rise. It is obvious that this coaching staff is in way, way, way over their heads. They are getting out-coached every Saturday and almost on every play. This program is at the same level it was 5 years ago.

Overall I think this program is on the rise Seriously? A defense without a D1 linebacker that cannot stop a B10 rushing attack along with an offense that cannot convert a 3rd down. Oh, add in a kicker who struggles to make an extra point and makes 50% of his field goals. This definitely is NOT a team on the rise. It is obvious that this coaching staff is in way, way, way over their heads. They are getting out-coached every Saturday and almost on every play. This program is at the same level it was 5 years ago.

Our secondary and pass rush is much improved. We're not even close to where we want to be, but we are better than last year. Do you not remember us losing to New Mexico St. and NDSU last year? Do you not remember us down 24-0 after the first quarter against Purdue?

I know we're all frustrated, but it's all about perspective.

Our secondary and pass rush is much improved. We're not even close to where we want to be, but we are better than last year. Do you not remember us losing to New Mexico St. and NDSU last year? Do you not remember us down 24-0 after the first quarter against Purdue?

I know we're all frustrated, but it's all about perspective.
We're better than the absolutely miserable state that we were under Kill in the first half of last season. That's about the best thing you can say right now.

I'm not sure we're any better than we were in the second half of last season when we beat Iowa & Illinois, played Michigan State close, played NW semi-close, and were blown out by Wisconsin.

After watching a bunch of other games today I can't believe how far away we look from being a good team.

Dont think so - 5 years ago was 2007....

our whole team is young, You cant expect to Win a lot of games against older and more experienced players. We played many true freshman today. It is what it is because we are not a deep team and when injuries hit we have no choice. If it wasnt for injuries half of these guys wouldnt have played this year. Yes we look bad and we dont have a lot of wins. This team will get better and it already has compared to the last few years.

GOPHERS #1

There were periods of time where we played well against a good Wisconsin team (Defense!). We need to make that play more consistant, but I thought we showed flashes of being a good team. The D played good until that ran out of gas in the 4th. The O hard some drives where they looked commanding. The past several years it looked as though the Wisco guys looked like they were taking the game as a joke. I believe the Gophers had them genuinely concerned through the first 2 and1/2 quarters this year. This is a young team. Good things are going to happen.

Part of the reason we have so many injuries is that we have boys playing against men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That has to change and only time will do that.,

Overall.........I'm sick of losing to Wisconsin and their obnoxious fans.

i believe hageman is going pro after this year and wells has been awful since the big 10 play started....flat out awful

i am pumped about our future offense and worried about our future defense

Evidently the kids are better players!!

as a viking fan also i believe we have lost the last 4 to the packers also

that's 0-13 and I pretty much expect 2 more losses to the pack this year

comedy.....pure comedy

i believe hageman is going pro after this year
If he does he's a damned fool. Hageman is a physical specimen, but he's nowhere close to NFL-ready, and I haven't seen anyone, anywhere, seriously discuss him (or any Gopher, frankly), as a draftable prospect.

If he does he's a damned fool. Hageman is a physical specimen, but he's nowhere close to NFL-ready, and I haven't seen anyone, anywhere, seriously discuss him (or any Gopher, frankly), as a draftable prospect.

Mel Kiper has him as the #5 DT for the 2014 draft.

Top Bottom