Over/Under on 2017 B1G NCAA Tournament Teams?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I would set it at 7.

Locks (4)
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Wisconsin

Should Make It (3)
Maryland (if 2 of Carter/Stone/Trimble return, become a lock)
Northwestern (it's time; no excuses for Wildcats next season)
Ohio State

On the Bubble (3)
Illinois (if key players stop committing crimes)
Penn State
Purdue (if Swanigan returns, should make it)

Not Next Season (4)
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Rutgers

A way to early prediction
1. Sparty
2. Indiana would move down if Blackmon, Bryant and Williams leave for the draft
3. Wisconsin
4. Ohio State
5.Northwestern Law will be back
6.Michigan still have Walton
7.Maryland, I'll move them up if they get Stone and Trimble back, that would them favorites
8. Purdue, move them up if swanigan returns
9-13 Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Penn state and Illinois. It's a cluster. I think all of these teams are pretty close and a lot could depend on their respective schedules. I think Minnesota, Penn State and the Illini or have the potential to sneak into the top seven if the new talent gels/ slash stay healthy/ slash nobody gets in trouble. Iowa will be in rebuilding mode but if they still have Jok will win their share of games. I think Miles will keep Nebraska competitive in most games as well, seems to slowly be improving the talent through recruiting.
14. Rutgers sanders is nice building piece, I like their new coach, but it'll take atleast until sanders senior year if he's still around for them to have enough depth to compete
If Minnesota can go 8-10 I am guessing that will put them in the 9-10 range. Assuming we have a better non conference season that would get them in the NIT. Any Big Ten team will probably need to go 10-8 to feel good about their NCAA chances.

Another "way too early"

I'm making the assumption Maryland's Stone & Trimble as well as Michigan State's Davis will leave early. For now thinking Indiana's Blackmon, Bryant & Williams, Carter (Maryland), Hayes (Wisconsin), Jok (Iowa), and Swanigan (Purdue) stick around.

Hence, my "way too early" 2017 BIG prognosis goes:

1 Indiana
2 Wisconsin
3 Michigan State
4 Michigan
5 Maryland
6 Northwestern
7 Ohio State
8 Purdue
9 Penn State
10 Illinois
11 Nebraska
12 Minnesota
13 Iowa
14 Rutgers

Here is my stab at it:

1. Michigan State*
2. Michigan*
3. Wisconsin*
4. Indiana*
5. Ohio State*
6. Northwestern+
7. Maryland+
8. Minnesota+
9. Purdue+
10. Iowa
11. Penn State
12. Nebraska
13. Illinois
14. Rutgers

* Tournament locks, + Bubble Teams

I'm assuming Stone, Trimble & Carter are gone. I see Swanigan's ego making a bad decision. Indiana will lose one of the three. Jok will bail too.

Minnesota could finish as high as 5th and as low as 10th. It all depends on the defense and how quickly the team can gel in the non-conference. We definitely will have a deeper team more suited to the B1G.

1 msu
2. wi
3. Indiana
4. Michigan
5. penn st.
6. nwestern
7. Nebraska
8. Maryland
9 Ohio St.
10. MN
11. Purdue
12. IA
13. Illinois
14. Rutgers

a lot will change after we see who declares. Indiana and WI could be loaded if everyone returns. same could be said for Maryland, but they just don't look happy. Purdue will lose a lot of talent, especially if Swanigan leaves. Illinois is Illinois. Ohio st. will not improve much. Ia loses a ton and by late February they will look tired, weak and lost. I honestly see Penn. st. Northwestern and Nebraska making big jumps next year along with the gophs. I see our little rodents improving to nebraskas level next year and than making an even larger jump to the top 5-6 the following year. NIt next year, with a little luck in the big ten tourney, maybe an invite, but not likely. next year the big ten could be loaded if people don't opt out and jump to the nba.

Top of the league I think will be:
1. Wi (They lose literally no one)
2. Sparty (lose Costello+Valentine, but have an incredible recruiting class and izzo)
3. IU (Lose Ferrell and I think Bryant will leave, but OG is going to be really good)
4. Michigan
5-7 will be Maryland, Purdue, Ohio State in some order

I think we'll be somewhere from 8-11, hopefully trending up. I can't believe in Penn State or Northwestern finishing in the top half of the league until they actually do it.

Top Bottom