Outstate Media Coverage

Duluthguy

Reaction score
For all you guys that complain about Gopher media coverage in the Cities (and rightly so), you might be a little surprised at how horrible it can be in other areas of the state. The banner across the top of the FRONT PAGE of the Sunday Duluth NewsTribune was about the Wisconsin win over Purdue. On the sports page, the headline was again about the Wisconsin game. The story about the Wisconsin game was 7 paragraphs. The following story about the Gopher's game (no headline, just the scores in bold) was 3 paragraphs. This is not unusual. I guess the editors don't realize Duluth is on the Minnesota side of the border - though the Vikes get much more coverage than the Packers.

Curious about how the Gophs are treated in other outstate areas.

Duluth Guy: Just curious but, any idea how their circulation numbers breakdown Minnesota/Wisconsin and could the two stories have been a deadline problem? Day game versus a game ending after 10:00?

You bring up an interesting point. I wonder what kind of following the Gophers have in the Worthington/Marshall area. Are there a large percentage of Hawkeye or Husker fans down that way?

I also wonder how this coverage will change now that so many regional Universities have stepped up to D1. NDSU, SDSU, SD, etc. etc. I guess it can all be taken with a grain of salt with the realization that on the other hand a state with a population over 5 million only has ONE D1 football program. Also, the Gopher radio network seems quite large and a lot of outstate radio stations pick up the sweet stylings of Dave Lee and Gopher football.

You bring up an interesting point. I wonder what kind of following the Gophers have in the Worthington/Marshall area. Are there a large percentage of Hawkeye or Husker fans down that way?

In many cases areas such as Marshall/Worthington actually have a LARGER percentage of Gopher fans than the Twin Cities. There tends to be a much higher percentage of native Minnesotans and not many transplanted Iowa Alumni. Small town MN usually looks fondly on the "U" and people identify with the Gophers regardless if they ever attended school there.

Most of the people in Superior can't read, so I'm sure that's the the issue.

Many people in Duluth, St.Cloud, Bemidji, and Mankato view the Gophers as the enemy because of D1 Hockey. Add to that those schools alumni sprinkled around the state.

Many people in Duluth, St.Cloud, Bemidji, and Mankato view the Gophers as the enemy because of D1 Hockey. Add to that those schools alumni sprinkled around the state.

In North Central MN where I grew up, almost everyone roots for Gopher football and basketball even if they hate the hockey team due to being a UMD or SCSU alum. Most people don't care about the hockey honestly and most of the hockey people don't seem to care much about the other sports.

SW minnesota

I grew up around Marshall and no one that I knew cared about Iowa or any other school outside of the gophers.

Count me as a Gopher football fan and a UMD hockey fan. I have been rooting FOR the Gopher Football Team since the Rosebowl years, and AGAINST the Gopher Hockey Team for almost that long.

The Duluth paper loves to cover UMD womens' hockey, which is crazy because they draw about a hundred fans for home games.
Gopher football is barely mentioned. There have been Sundays (even with Saturday day games) where it's not mentioned at all except a score underneath the Big Ten standings.
Bulldog football has become very big up here, and rightfully so. Although last week's game (against a bad opponent) didn't draw very well.
Duluth is a strange sports community, where events with little appeal tend to draw the most media attention. St. Scolastica sports, which are very small-time with a questionable level of competition, are always featured in the newspaper and on television news. It might be because they usually win the conference in every sport except hockey, which plays in a more legitimate league than the UMAC.

UMD hockey and football get the most coverage up here, and rightly so - especially for the national championship football team. But, most times, you'd never suspect that the Gophs were the only D1 program in the state - or in the state period for that matter. As for hockey, fans up here love the games against the Gophs, but it's more like a chance to beat big brother than an arch enemy.

By the way, last I checked, the local radio station covering Gopher games reduces power at sunset. Sounds like they go from 5 watts to 1 watt. No problem receiving the Wisconsin games, however.

Concerning Duluth, Duluthguy hits it on the head. A lot of UMD action, no Gopher love. There's no visible Badger contingent up there, either. Also, AM radio in general sucks north of Hinckley. I couldn't get Kfan clearly for more than 15 seconds if I wanted to.

For all you guys that complain about Gopher media coverage in the Cities (and rightly so), you might be a little surprised at how horrible it can be in other areas of the state. The banner across the top of the FRONT PAGE of the Sunday Duluth NewsTribune was about the Wisconsin win over Purdue. On the sports page, the headline was again about the Wisconsin game. The story about the Wisconsin game was 7 paragraphs. The following story about the Gopher's game (no headline, just the scores in bold) was 3 paragraphs. This is not unusual. I guess the editors don't realize Duluth is on the Minnesota side of the border - though the Vikes get much more coverage than the Packers.

Curious about how the Gophs are treated in other outstate areas.

I'm way outer-state and the web/blog/BTN/ESPN/ABC coverage is great...for obvious reasons, newspapers are dying all over the country.

Although admittedly a G-holic following G fb/bb reasonably closely, I seem to know a lot more about those teams than my Twin City brothers who are also alums.

BTW, Superior, Wisconsin is a complete cesspool. Just feels dirty when you're there.

Concerning Duluth, Duluthguy hits it on the head. A lot of UMD action, no Gopher love. There's no visible Badger contingent up there, either. Also, AM radio in general sucks north of Hinckley. I couldn't get Kfan clearly for more than 15 seconds if I wanted to.

The AM station in Bemidji runs an all-sports format and picks up many of the best radio programs from the twin cities... including all the daily KFAN shows and WCCO's Sunday sports huddle.

Top Bottom