Our hidden weapon..the late tip time

howeda7

Reaction score
There's clearly increasing anxiety over our chances. I admit Utah State going down didn't make me feel great either. I think there's an unmeasurable item in our favor: The late tip time. The BTT Final tips at 3:30 EST. The Selection Show is at 6:00, or about 30 minutes after the game ends.

While they haven't recently been faced with a team as on the bubble as we are playing in this game in recent years, they have had numerous occasions where they should have shifted seeds based on the outcome. They have amost universally declined to do so, once going so far as to say 'we couldn't factor it in, we had to finish up.' If our resume was a game or two weaker, they'd have no choice. But since we have a very legitimate claim to the spot anyway, I think there will be a huge temptation to simply give us a spot so they can finish up. This committee is made up of administrators. By nature they want time to make sure every T is crossed and every I is dotted. I think they're nightmare is accidently violating one of the unwritten rules and slotting two teams in the same half of the bracket accidently due to a last second change, etc. Thier prior actions speak volumes.

I imagine you're right about the committee. IMO, though, we're not straddling the bubble. It looks to me like barring a disaster we're going to be in anyway and that only strengthens your argument on this post.

I imagine you're right about the committee. IMO, though, we're not straddling the bubble. It looks to me like barring a disaster we're going to be in anyway and that only strengthens your argument on this post.

It also means we won't get a bump up in seeding if we win, but I'm not sure we would anyway. If it were truly down to MN and Ill it would be easy enough for them to simply make a switch. But if we are one of the last teams in, we're more likely up against Florida and Va Tech. Making it all the more likely they'll put us in and be done with it.

I think they're nightmare is accidently violating one of the unwritten rules and slotting two teams in the same half of the bracket accidently due to a last second change, etc. Thier prior actions speak volumes.

I would wager a dollar that they are using some highly specialized software that instantly flags any guideline violations like that, ensures that they don't accidentally remove a conference winner, etc.

I would wager a dollar that they are using some highly specialized software that instantly flags any guideline violations like that, ensures that they don't accidentally remove a conference winner, etc.

I'm sure they do. I use specialized software when preparing my company's financial statements. I still don't want to complete them 10 minutes before the board meeting. I don't trust the software that much. Prior actions suggest the Selection Committee is probably finishing up right about now, but no later then the end of the ACC/SEC games.

That's not true. A committee member was interviewed the other day and he said going into Sunday they have a few brackets already made up, and depending on the outcomes that's the bracket they go with.

They're probably going to spend the whole game making up two different brackets, on for if OSU wins, one for if the Gophers win. They mentioned that they've done that in the past with the Big Ten game because it's so late.

Top Bottom