our defense

WillieBurton

Reaction score
I actually thought our d-tackles (Edwards and Kirksey) and our linebackers (Rallis, Cooper, Tinsley) played all right today. But our d-ends and d-backs really let us down. For whatever reason, Garin and Wilhite played virtually the entire game at the d-ends, as Hageman and KGM didn't rotate in at all. (KGM was on the field for three plays all day and Hageman for two). I was at the game, and I don't ever recall hearing Garin or Wilhite's name called. I don't believe either of them had a tackle, sack, hurry, pass deflection or tackle for loss. Basically, it was like we didn't even have defensive ends on the field. And our d-backs simply need to make tackles.

I actually thought our d-tackles (Edwards and Kirksey) and our linebackers (Rallis, Cooper, Tinsley) played all right today. But our d-ends and d-backs really let us down. For whatever reason, Garin and Wilhite played virtually the entire game at the d-ends, as Hageman and KGM didn't rotate in at all. (KGM was on the field for three plays all day and Hageman for two). I was at the game, and I don't ever recall hearing Garin or Wilhite's name called. I don't believe either of them had a tackle, sack, hurry, pass deflection or tackle for loss. Basically, it was like we didn't even have defensive ends on the field. And our d-backs simply need to make tackles.

Re: Rallis.... except for the key 4th down play when he didn't do his job and keep contain, allowing SD QB to run 35 yds for the game-winning TD. That was an enormous play, among many bad ones for the Gophs today. And I like Rallis. But watching that one after all the other miscues (by many other players) hurt bad.

I cannot agree strongly enough with your assessment of the DEs. I had the game on DVR and put myself through the agony of watching it again to look at the defensive issues. Garin and Wilhite did absolutely nothing to warrant staying in the entire game. I cannot understand why Hageman and KGM are not playing. I am told that they rotate with Garin and Wilhite in practice, but somehow in a game situation they can't be trusted. What the hell? We heard all spring and fall camp about what phenomenal athletes these two are, yet they have no role on the team. At some point, the defense was so awful, what did we have to lose in putting them in? I would add Anthony Jacobs to that list as well. During the second quarter, KGM went in and 1st down was a incomplete pass (lots of hands obstructing the QBs line of vision); on second down there was a tackle for loss. At that point, KGM and Jacobs (I think) come out and Garin and ?? go in. On that third down play, Garin loses containment, LBs and DBs miss tackles and SD scores. We never saw KGM on the field again. Does that make sense?
The young DBs are in over their heads. Maybe Theret returning will help....Maybe. Not sure what will happen with Kim Royston, but the lack of experience is very obvious right now.
The D lacks chemistry and I am starting to wonder if we are watching Cosgrove unravel a decent group of athletes in the same way he did at Nebraska.

I really thought the new guys would provide us the pass rush that we have sorely been missing for many years but that just isn't the case so far.

I really wish we had someone like VanDeSteeg.

I hope 'Sheed starts getting more reps - I love his size and potential. Is he not playing well in practice or is Garrin more polished at this point?

Go Gophers!!

Tinsley did a wonderful job today of taunting and celebrating after a tackle even if it was a USD 1st down. Brewster should've kicked him to the curb when he had the chance. Maybe they will let him play with a 2X4 in his hands next week when USC players blow by him play after play.

I saw Hageman play a few times in high school and I'm not surprised at his lack of playing time. You can't teach his size but he's lazy and gets worked by players much smaller than him...

Top Bottom