Our commits...

go4fan

Reaction score
Am I the only one that is concerned about our commits so far? As far as I am concerned only Hill, Kirkwood, Gjere, Edwards, and Manuel have what I consider to be a good offer list. Everyone else has offers from mid-majors or poor BCS teams.
How many o-lineman do we need? The only o-lineman we should be going after right now is Seantrel.
WE NEED D LINEMAN!! Right now Beau Allen should be priority #1. He plays in a position of need!! Add that he is a MN boy and he should be our top priority.
I realize that we are not USC and can bring in whoever we want but I don't think the big 10 is kicking our ass when it comes to this years recruiting class.
Someone please convince me that I am wrong.
I am a huge Brew supporter so I am not one of those that thinks he needs to go.

give it time go4. its still early. i believe we are signing 28+ this year. we are in on a few projects but that is what you do when you have a class this big. you get some guys in that may be projects but have potential and develop them. i think the big names will come but they will come later in the game

Our O line is abysmal. I am glad they are bringing in lots of OL recruits so they can compete for spots. That's how it should be. And if you don't think they are trying to lock up sentreal and Beau you are a fool, they offered both, and are active in their efforts to get them, but you need to have a backup plan as well.

If your impressed with Gjere's list, you should be impressed with Parish's list.

What's wrong with this thread?

Its exactly the same as the one that was posted last Thursday, and the one before it the Friday before that.....

Seriously, if people are going to whine and moan the least they could do is learn how to use the search function and just keep adding on the same whiny thread rather then starting a new whiny thread every four days......

But I forget 90% of the people on here are idiots.....

A couple of years ago people were snickering at Iowa's relatively poor looking recruiting classes. Lot of talk about Ron Zook and Tim Brewster (along with Nebraska and Missouri to their west) taking away potential recruits from Iowa. Well, sadly, Iowa seems to be doing just fine. I feel good about our 2010 class and where it will end up.

Iowa is living off of previous classes now. There's a reason they're blooming now while our talent are still freshmen and sophmores. Unfortunately their recruiting downturn was shortlived so at best we'll only see a slight slump out of Iowa if at all. In my double secret recruiting analysis I had Iowa at the top of their game this year and slumping the next two. But it looks like they're reversing course so they might be able to mask that slight slump by sandwiching it with a good recruiting year this year and maybe next. That's ok, funner to beat a good Iowa team than a bad one.

From watching a 2 minute grainy highlight video, I really can't tell at all how good these players will be. I don't think any of us can.

Sure, the rivals rankings help put them in some context, but who really knows? Rivals usually nails the top few players each year, but that is easy, their talent is completely obvious. After you get into the high 3 star to low 2 star range, its a complete guessing game.

I trust that Coach Brewster and the staff see something they like in any guy that commits. Its hard to doubt Brew and Co. when it comes to recruiting. I think its foolish to be worried about the recruits just because of how they rank on rivals.

What's wrong with this thread?

Because of the assumption that we aren't trying to "lock-down" Henderson or Allen because we offered different players. Jumping to conclusions with no evidence. Also... how can a team have too many O-Linemen??

I think some are also making the assumption of the position a lot of these guys were recruited for. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of those guys listed as O-line end up on the other side of the ball.

From watching a 2 minute grainy highlight video, I really can't tell at all how good these players will be. I don't think any of us can.

Sure, the rivals rankings help put them in some context, but who really knows? Rivals usually nails the top few players each year, but that is easy, their talent is completely obvious. After you get into the high 3 star to low 2 star range, its a complete guessing game.

I trust that Coach Brewster and the staff see something they like in any guy that commits. Its hard to doubt Brew and Co. when it comes to recruiting. I think its foolish to be worried about the recruits just because of how they rank on rivals.

You really hit the nail on the head. It seems that you take the one's with the best physicall attributes and hope they develop. I also wonder how you can base your decisions on how a player is going to perform at the age of 21 based on how they did when they were 16 or 17. The superstars are going to be easy to predict. The others less so.

Because of the assumption that we aren't trying to "lock-down" Henderson or Allen because we offered different players. Jumping to conclusions with no evidence. Also... how can a team have too many O-Linemen??

where did i say that brew was not going after henderson or allen?? i know he is busting his balls trying to get them to come here. the numbers of stars these players have dont bother me but its the offer list. when we are taking recruits from MAC schools, the FIU's or FAU's of the world thats when i am nervous.
To those people who think that their rankings or stars dont matter, or those who bring up two star decker let me ask you this. Do you think its a coincidence that teams with top ten recruiting classes always seem to be to 10 teams? granted they have more to sell than we do but rankings to matter to an extent.

The only o-lineman we should be going after right now is Seantrel.
WE NEED D LINEMAN!! Right now Beau Allen should be priority #1. He plays in a position of need!! Add that he is a MN boy and he should be our top priority.

where did i say that brew was not going after henderson or allen?? i know he is busting his balls trying to get them to come here.

My wording was off. I read your original post as a not having our priorities straight. I don't see getting the Big Ragoo as any indication that we still don't have Henderson and Allen as priorities #1 and #2.

Interesting bit of info about Seantrel. His o-line coach is former Gopher Ray Hitchcock. After the game, Ray was on with Mike Grim and took some calls. A caller asked about Seantrel. Ray said he felt that the Gophers had an excellent chance to land Seantrel and the joke around CDH is that Brewster's set up a tent in the parking lot. If he goes elsewhere, I don't think you can fault Brewster for a lack of effort on this one.

FYI majority of upper echelon recruits commit later in the recruiting process. Also, I have no problem if we sign 10 OL recruits. Three years of watching Weber scramble for his life is enough.

I think someone should make a Offical Recruiting thread, get it sticky so there won't be so many of the same threads..... I would, but I only have 1 post (this is it) and don't think it would get any attention.

Anyways, I think getting Henderson and Allen would help are team alot, and even more would help keeping are top prospects with the Gophers. I remember to many good players leaving this state, I know most of these guys are not from Brewsters erra but look how many great players left
02'
Dominique Byrd- USC
Marcus Freeman- Notre Dame

03'
Ryan Harris- Notre Dame
John Carlson- Notre Dame

04'
Lydon Murtha- Nebraska
Brandon Robinson- Boston College

05'
Rafael Eubanks- Iowa
Joey Hiben- Notre Dame
Walker Ashley- USC
James Laurenites- Ohio State
Chris Joppru- Utah
Jordan Schultenover- North Dakota State

06'
Matt Carufel- Notre Dame
Jordan Mcmichale- Boston College

07'
Blake Sorensen- Wisconsin
Bryce McNeal- Northwestern

08'
Michale Floyd- Notre Dame
Willie Moblie- Ohio State
Joe Schafer- Wisconsin

09'
Bryce McNeal- Clemson

10'
AJ Tarply- Stanford

Although I think Beau Allan is a tad bit overrated and got owned in that Hopkins game that was on TV, It would still be a great sign just so we don't lose some great players!!!

10'
AJ Tarpley- Stanford

Tarpley isn't a big loss. He doesn't have a Gopher offer and isn't even the best LB on his team (Grant Olson). Tarpley may have more BCS offers than DeWayne Mitchell (current commit) but the Gophers had both of them at camp this year and decided to offer one and not the other. Considering the opportunity the coaches had to evaluate each of them I trust they made an educated decision.

well It's a loss in my book if we cant keep are better players in state, so by around Jan. we will prob have a better idea on wether is works out or not.

well It's a loss in my book if we cant keep are better players in state, so by around Jan. we will prob have a better idea on wether is works out or not.

We didn't offer him a scholarship. You can't lose what you never wanted.

I'm thinking/hoping these "unheralded" recruits are a product of Brew and Crew developing relationships with coaches, and being rewarded with under the radar really good players.
Also keep in mind that star rankings are updated after senior years, guys like Kirksey, Wilhite, Stoudemire, a few others were at one time 2 star guys but were upgraded due to good senior years. As far as the large amount of OL types, bring them on. We have seen the effects of poor OL recruiting, bring on big, strong guys, redshirt them and see where they are in their 3rd year, I'll bet guys like Eggen, Epping, Gjere, Ragoo, Olson, Michel, Campion etc. give us a solid Oline for 3-5 years. Orton, Davis, Bunders, and Wynn shouldn't even have been in the mix to contribute until this year or even next year.

I think the thing that stands out on the recruiting is Brew's strategy of recruiting speed on D.
Take DE's and make them DT's, take LB's and RB's and make them DE's, take S and make him a linebacker, take WR's/fast ATH and put them in the secondary. This will pay off down the road.

I'm thinking/hoping these "unheralded" recruits are a product of Brew and Crew developing relationships with coaches, and being rewarded with under the radar really good players.
Also keep in mind that star rankings are updated after senior years, guys like Kirksey, Wilhite, Stoudemire, a few others were at one time 2 star guys but were upgraded due to good senior years. As far as the large amount of OL types, bring them on. We have seen the effects of poor OL recruiting, bring on big, strong guys, redshirt them and see where they are in their 3rd year, I'll bet guys like Eggen, Epping, Gjere, Ragoo, Olson, Michel, Campion etc. give us a solid Oline for 3-5 years. Orton, Davis, Bunders, and Wynn shouldn't even have been in the mix to contribute until this year or even next year.

I think the thing that stands out on the recruiting is Brew's strategy of recruiting speed on D.
Take DE's and make them DT's, take LB's and RB's and make them DE's, take S and make him a linebacker, take WR's/fast ATH and put them in the secondary. This will pay off down the road.

Speed is the only way to go! If we want to just compete in the big ten, fine get a big strong but slow deffense that will just bang it out, but if we want to be a team with the abilty to scare opponinites on a national scale we are better off getting the speed!!!! When USC, Texas and so on come up here this is what will help us compete.

We didn't offer him a scholarship. You can't lose what you never wanted.

What im trying to say is that we need to keep are better players here..... I know we didn't offer and if we don't offer he won't stay, IDK if im not wording this right or if were just on two seprate pages.

What im trying to say is that we need to keep are better players here..... I know we didn't offer and if we don't offer he won't stay, IDK if im not wording this right or if were just on two seprate pages.

I'm all for keeping our best players. However, I'm even more for recruiting the best talent that is possible. The state of Minnesota normally has 5-10 BCS level football players. We can't fill a roster that is competitive in the Big Ten by only focusing on Minnesota. The coaches have to make the decision where the cut off is of Big Ten caliber athletes and I hope that we land everybody above that cut off. We can't recruit players just because they are one of the better in-state players. They have to be better than the talent that we can get out of state. In this case the coaches think they found better talent out-of-state (if that wasn't true Tarpley would have an offer).

If Tarpley ends up being a star at Stanford then I agree that we missed on him. However, I don't think we can say we missed on him until he does something at Stanford because at this point we don't want him.

FYI majority of upper echelon recruits commit later in the recruiting process. Also, I have no problem if we sign 10 OL recruits. Three years of watching Weber scramble for his life is enough.

And Brewster is doing everything he can to prevent this from happening to Gray once he becomes the starter. Watching him run in the Northwestern game was impressive. Imagine what he will be able to do with some of these huge offensive linemen (if and when they refine their skills and prove to be solid contributers).

I think someone should make a Offical Recruiting thread, get it sticky so there won't be so many of the same threads..... I would, but I only have 1 post (this is it) and don't think it would get any attention.

Anyways, I think getting Henderson and Allen would help are team alot, and even more would help keeping are top prospects with the Gophers. I remember to many good players leaving this state, I know most of these guys are not from Brewsters erra but look how many great players left
02'
Dominique Byrd- USC

03'
Ryan Harris- Notre Dame
John Carlson- Notre Dame

04'
Lydon Murtha- Nebraska

05'
Rafael Eubanks- Iowa
Joey Hiben- Notre Dame
Walker Ashley- USC
Chris Joppru- Utah

06'
Matt Carufel- Notre Dame

07'

08'
Joe Schafer- Wisconsin

09'
Bryce McNeal- Clemson

10'
AJ Tarply- Stanford

Although I think Beau Allan is a tad bit overrated and got owned in that Hopkins game that was on TV, It would still be a great sign just so we don't lose some great players!!!

Failed to list 2007 Broderick Binns - DE at Iowa who was a beast vs. Penn State on Saturday

You are always going to be able to list players who left. That simply isn't evidence of anything except maybe we could have done better. It doesn't mean we aren't doing better than we were, nor does it say how we're doing compared to other programs.

So far all we know, is that out of our top 10 three have commited, two for Minnesota and one elsewhere. Not too bad. And then consider that according to Rivals the two we have so far are the 2nd and 3rd rated kids.

Then go back and look how Brew has done in state the last two years and compare him to how the other B10 programs did in their respective states.

If you're saying we could do better, of course and it is interesting to see who left and how they've fared. But if you're trying to judge Brews ability to close the border you're abit misguided.

02'
Dominique Byrd- USC

03'
Ryan Harris- Notre Dame
John Carlson- Notre Dame

04'
Lydon Murtha- Nebraska

05'
Rafael Eubanks- Iowa
Joey Hiben- Notre Dame
Walker Ashley- USC
Chris Joppru- Utah

06'
Matt Carufel- Notre Dame

07'

08'
Joe Schafer- Wisconsin

09'
Bryce McNeal- Clemson

10'
AJ Tarply- Stanford

I commend your bravado. It's dangerous posting threads like this on this site. I love it, but there are a lot of people that got PISSED off last time someone posted something exactly like this on here. Nice work, it's important to display the ones that got away so it doesn't happen again.

I commend your bravado. It's dangerous posting threads like this on this site. I love it, but there are a lot of people that got PISSED off last time someone posted something exactly like this on here. Nice work, it's important to display the ones that got away so it doesn't happen again.

dude, nobody gets ticked off on posts like that, I've seen numerous ones keeping track of MN boys that are elsewhere??? I think where you T people off are when you start saying Brew is not doing his job in-state, which is completely false. All the big boys on that list we lost are on Mason (whether during his years, or during Brew's first year trying to get things turned around). I don't think anyone has issues with creating that list, and now that Brew has got things turning around I don't think we'll lose anyone to Wisco or Iowa anymore, except due to special circumstances (ie- dad played there, mom is from there, etc). Last year we lost one guy, pretty unheard of actually, this year we will probably lose a couple too, but this happens everywhere.

Top Bottom