Our 2 Newest Recruits

Reaction score

http://247sports.com/Player/Owen-Salzwedel-21962

http://247sports.com/Player/Chris-Streveler-21997

I know that it is just 247 Sports but they have given both Owen and Chris a 3 star rating.

They also show Tyler Foreman a highly rated safety with a good offer list having a high interest in the program.

http://247sports.com/Player/Tyler-Foreman-13189

Anybody know how credible this site is??

Foreman would seem to be an impressive get. I wonder what our chances are, realistically?

Here's his rivals profile, if anyone is interested:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Tyler-Foreman-129339

I wonder what our chances are, realistically?

If any of Washington, Oregon, or USC offers (particularly USC), he will likely commit on the spot. He has said that he's waiting until after his senior season to commit (presumably hoping for one of those offers to emerge), so we probably stand a decent chance if we hang with him. If he wants to stay in the area, it's probably going to be UCLA. If he wants to get away, the only non-PAC12/West Coast region offers he has are us, Oklahoma, and Cincinnati. My guess is that it will come down to UCLA and Oklahoma, and it depends on whether he wants to stay home or not. We could possibly sneak in if he wants to get away and his spot on Oklahoma's commit list is taken up sometime between now and December (when he is likely to commit).

If any of Washington, Oregon, or USC offers (particularly USC), he will likely commit on the spot. He has said that he's waiting until after his senior season to commit (presumably hoping for one of those offers to emerge), so we probably stand a decent chance if we hang with him. If he wants to stay in the area, it's probably going to be UCLA. If he wants to get away, the only non-PAC12/West Coast region offers he has are us, Oklahoma, and Cincinnati. My guess is that it will come down to UCLA and Oklahoma, and it depends on whether he wants to stay home or not. We could possibly sneak in if he wants to get away and his spot on Oklahoma's commit list is taken up sometime between now and December (when he is likely to commit).

Interesting. Thanks!

dpo - I am new here but you seem to know a thing or two from what I've read. Do you have any insight on Jacky Marcellus and the chances of us landing him? What are your thoughts about 247sports.com?

Thanks

dpo - I am new here but you seem to know a thing or two from what I've read.

Thanks!

Do you have any insight on Jacky Marcellus and the chances of us landing him?

Sorry, I don't know much about him. I think the biggest question with him is, "Do we really want him?" His highlight tape is admittedly phenomenal, but he is TINY. I look at him as a HS version of a "workout warrior", except the buzz is coming from highlight tapes instead of NFL combine workouts. I just don't think he'll ever be big enough to play at the BCS level. Hopefully you'll get the reference, but his highlight tape screams "HAROLD HOWELL!!" to me when I look at it. And that's not a compliment.

What are your thoughts about 247sports.com?

In my opinion, Rivals is so far ahead of everyone else in the football recruiting game that the market is crying out for someone to give them some legit competition. Scout sucks, and I place them last by default. ESPN seemed like it was getting better for a while, but they look to have slacked off recently. Their news updates are good, and they are the best place to get a physical/playing style evaluation of a recruit, but their information pertaining to offer lists, visits, commitments (particularly timeliness of commitment news) are all lacking. 247 seems to be making good headway, especially by hiring former Rivals employees frequently. They seem to know what they're talking about and provide solid information. I particularly like how they place recruit interests into their perceived tiers, rather than the catch-all "medium" that Rivals always uses (my biggest annoyance with them). I would say 247 is neck-and-neck with ESPN for 2nd, and will probably settle in ahead of them long-term due to having a narrowly-tailored interest and a commitment to caring about the subject matter (something ESPN doesn't seem that interested in). I don't think anyone will surpass Rivals anytime soon, but 247 would be the one if anyone could.

Thanks for the information, it is much appreciated! I am assuming that as far a running backs go for the 2013 class Berkley Edwards tops your list?

dpo - I am new here but you seem to know a thing or two from what I've read. Do you have any insight on Jacky Marcellus and the chances of us landing him? What are your thoughts about 247sports.com?

Thanks

dpo is good but I rely on Joe Dirt for the final say on all matters related to Gophers football, politics, and personal relationship matters ;-)

This is why I like your input.

Thanks

He is exactly what we are looking for and "Plan B" behind Edwards. Both are 'home-run' type smaller running backs which we have lacked for a while now...

I am assuming that as far a running backs go for the 2013 class Berkley Edwards tops your list?

Among the RBs we realistically have a chance of signing, he is far and away #1 for me. He is fast, he has the pedigree, and I feel good about our chances of getting a commit from him (assuming Mich and MSU continue to stay away). If he were 5'11" instead of 5'9", he'd have been a Wolverine a long time ago. I personally don't think lack of height (within reason) is that big of a deal for RBs given adequate bulk to compensate, but many coaches place a lot of emphasis on it.

Good to know guys. I am glad I found a board that had this much knowledge and enthusiasm for Gopher Football. Personally, I love the recruiting process and it's good to know that I am not the only one.

dpo is good but I rely on Joe Dirt for the final say on all matters related to Gophers football, politics, and personal relationship matters ;-)

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'll be sure to stay on top of my game to provide the latest and most accurate information in all matters we discuss here on the 'Hole!

Minnesota has plenty of positives but why would a teenage kid have Minnesota on his list of possibilities? We are talking about half way across the country.

Top Bottom