Other B1G non-conference matches 2024

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
On ESPN 2 tonight AVCA Showcase from Louisville:
Nebraska v Kentucky
Wisconsin v Louisville

It was a toss up early and Husker volleyball late as Nebraska downed Kentucky in four 21, -23, 15, 20.

Landfair with some cameos.

Really hope the Gophers are watching and taking notes.

Last edited:

Landfair playing one set and getting set zero times and registering zero stats is extremely telling.

She will play this year, but for a team with Championship aspirations, she's a depth/role player. She doesn't hit the ball hard enough, she's not quick and she doesn't play good enough defense.

Wisconsin is painfully thin at hitter, is transitioning from the 6-2 to the 5-1 and breaking in a new setter. They'll be good this year, but unless they clean up serving and serve receive, will struggle to stay in Nebraska's rear view mirror view.

Louisville downed the Badgers in 4.

Freshman Charlie Fuerbringer got her first true start during the first match of the 2024 season, and put up 42 assists. Julia Orzol had the lone ace for the Badgers, but the team racked up 17 service errors.

Ducks swept by Pitt in Eugene

EUGENE, Ore. — Oregon bounced back from a slow start to play relatively even the rest of the night in Friday's top-10 match with Pittsburgh at Matthew Knight Arena, but ultimately the Ducks were swept in their 2024 season opener.

The No. 4 Panthers, a Final Four team a season ago, were commanding in the first set before the No. 10 Ducks, sporting a new-look roster, found their footing. Pitt ultimately won the match 25-12, 27-25, 25-23, with the Ducks fighting off two set points in the second and three more in the third before dropping each.

"I think our team learned a lot that first set about what it's going to take to be competitive at this level," UO coach Matt Ulmer said. "A lot of new pieces, but I thought we adapted well. We outhit them, we outblocked them and everything else after the first set. So those are all good signs. …

Michigan State lost last night to Northern Colorado. That is a bad loss on the resume.

Nebraska was really good in their opener with Kentucky. That team is loaded. Despite the loss to Louisville don't count out Wisconsin. That team is still supremely talented and Sheffield is a great coach. I was disappointed to see Harper Murray playing for Nebraska. Given her twin legal issues in the offseason some sort of suspension seemed necessary. I've lost a little bit of respect for John Cook.

I watched the Nebraska - TCU match tonight. Nebraska won 3-1. TCU is inconsistent, but could be a tough match for the Gophers. Haven't seen the final stats but Nebraska was only hitting .205 through 3 sets. Aces were 9 to nothing in favor of Nebraska.

Landfair only played during garbage time at the end of the 4th set. Cook didn't even put her in to start the 4th set with Nebraska's OH Krause hitting like .133 through the third. She had to have gone to Nebraska with the belief or confidence that she'd be a near-lock to start, a major contributer. This has to be quite humbling for her.

I'm not drawing any big conclusions or making predictions about Wisconsin yet. They lost on the road to the #6 ranked team. We'll know more in the next few days. Same with the Gophers.

Anyone who watched the Gophers last year knew that Taylor Landfair in that form was not going to be playing much for Nebraska. John Cook requires 100% at all facets of the game. Landfair tips/offspeeds too much and doesn't give the required effort on defense.

I was hoping for her sake that she would regain some of her 2022 form, but it looks like that's not the case. Good for the Gophers to move on into the Wucherer era.

That last set between Texas and Wisconsin was brutal. All KS could do was just sit there and watch. This seems like the year to finally break out of our Wisconsin funk.

Tonight's matches of interest:

Louisville @ Penn State on BTN
Nebraska @ SMU on the ACC Network

It was sweeps night.

Penn State made quick work of Louisville 15, 19, 13 and SMU had a late 6 point run in the first set and never looked back sweeping the Huskers 23, 21, 18

Texas returned to the win column sweeping the Hoosiers in Austin 8, 21, 22. Meanwhile the B1G's LA teams traveled east to pick up one for their loss columns. Tennessee downed UCLA 18, 24, 25 in Rocky Top and Creighton topped Souther Cal in Omaha -23, 17 ,23 26

St. Thomas beat Iowa 3-1 (19, 23, -24, 19).
Iowa lost their starting setter midway through the 3rd set with a leg or ankle injury. She was helped off the court.

Top Bottom