OT: Question for our Purdue lurkers

tjgopher

Reaction score
One of my good friends lives in Kansas City and is tied in tight with the sports scene there. He says there's been considerable buzz over the past 12 hours within solid Mizzou sources that Matt Painter is telling people at Mizzou that he is willing to listen to them regarding their recently-vacated basketball coaching job. That comes as a shocker to me.

You guys heard anything?

I find it very hard to believe he would do that. Missouri is at best an equal job with Purdue and with Painter being an alum and having a great run so far, it just makes no sense. I guess if Wal-mart heir #34 is offering him some obscene raise, maybe.

Painter is young and successful. If Purdue continues as a top 25 program and has a run or two in the tournamanet, he would be a prime candidate for a Duke/UNC/Kansas type job.

I just don't see Missouri as a step-up to Purdue.

I find it very hard to believe he would do that. Missouri is at best an equal job with Purdue and with Painter being an alum and having a great run so far, it just makes no sense.

I wholeheartedly agree. Especially with the $100 million renovation of Mackey Arena coming to a conclusion soon. Maybe his agent is trying to get Purdue to give him a raise and using this as leverage, but they could have done that with Arkansas, Georgia Tech, NC State, etc. That's why I'm asking if any PU folks have heard anything.

Painter

There's a thread or two on the Purdue message board regarding the same rumor and same source out of KC but I agree that Mizzou is a lateral move at the very very very best. It's no secret that Painter is underpaid but he's a former Purdue player from the state of Indiana and this is probably his dream job. There's a lot of pressure on AD Morgan Burke to pay the man so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Former Painter asst. and current Missouri St. head coach Cuonzo Martin would make a lot more sense IMHO. There's also some idiots talking about Painter being a candidate to replace Bruce Pearl at Tennessee. That would make even less sense than Mizzou.

We are hearing the same thing you are with Painter to Mizzou. Frankly the Purdue primary message board(GoldandBalck.com-it's a Rivals site) is at a 2.5 on the 1-10 scale of meltdown with the possibility of going to 11. The only thing that is preventing a complete and total meltdown right now is that we have Cuonzo Martin at Missouri State, who was brought up here as a possible replacement for Tubby. Martin could jump in and take over within a 24-48 period if Painter left, because he not only coached at Purdue under Keady and Painter but also played here with Big Dog back in the early 90's. Ideally he would have another year and a Sweet 16 under his belt but I'll take it.

Overall the main feeling/hope is that Coach Painter is using the Mizzou job for leverage to get more money from Morgan Burke the AD who frankly hasn't been overly generous with Coach Painter in the past. I'm hoping thats true. If Painter leaves everyone will say the right things publicly but in private I would expect a Roy Williams leaving Kansas level of vilification.

Pure speculation here but Purdue's top assistant Paul Lusk, was in line to get the Northern Illinois job(he has also been mentioned for the IUPUI job) but withdrew his name a few days ago, so he might know something that we don't. That something being that Painter takes the Mizzou job, Martin goes to Purdue, and Lusk finds his way to Missouri State or Martin to Mizzou, then Lusk takes Missouri State.

LOL

Some of these Coaching-move rumors are totally absurd. This one qualifies.

Ree - Dick - U - Lus !!!

Top Bottom