OT: NIT (Northwestern and WNIT)

tjgopher

Reaction score
Ok, like most of you, I haven't paid any attention to the NIT games. But, I was curious to see how Northwestern had been doing, so I did a google search this morning. I found two very interesting things:

1) Northwestern blew out top seed Boston College 85-67 over the weekend to advance to the Elite 8. They play for a berth to the NIT Final Four on Wednesday. Best of luck to the 'Cats.

2) When I did the search, my first attempt yielded me the Women's NIT bracket. And, much to my surprise, I found there to be 64 TEAMS in the WNIT. 64 teams! WTF?? Why would they need 64 freaking teams for the WNIT? How on earth could that entity be making money trying to put that many uninteresting games together with little or no TV, etc.? Mind-boggling.

Nice ending for NU and Cats after another disappointing year leading to yet again no NCAA bid. Have to think they would have been there w/ a healthy Shurna and Coble. As far as the WNIT, that is absolutely ridiculous. The Women's NCAA tournament gets very little coverage/attention the way it is, there's no need for 128 teams to be playing in the postseason in both men's and women's.

I realize that 20 wins doesn't mean anywhere near what it used to with watered-down schedules and the increase in the number of allowable regular-season games, but I believe the Wildcats have won 20 games in back-to-back seasons for the first time in the school's history? That's a nice accomplishment by Carmody and his players.

Losing Juice Thompson will be a huge hit to their program, but Carmody does appear to have quite a few pieces in place. The questions for NW next year will be the same as they were the last two seasons. (1) Can they get over the hump (to the NCAAs) by winning a couple significant nonconference games and then follow it up with a Big Ten season in the neighborhood of 10-8 or 9-9 and (2) Can they play any defense?

Carmody definitely needs to strengthen his nonconference schedule in order to give them a chance in the event they do get to .500 in the Big Ten.

They have a women's CBI tournament too, which is mind boggling.

I'm hoping CU wins the NIT. They should've been in the NCAA over some teams (USC).

Top Bottom