OT: Gophers win Border Battle Cup

I think this was mentioned in the 'other sports' forum, but doesn't hurt to let others know!

Sorry, I didn't see the other thread. But hey, I added value by including a link!

How About Iowa?

Anyone know how we are stacking up against Iowa? It would be nice to beat both our border rivals.:p

Even though we are now 2-3 overall in the cup standings, we have been extremely close in the losses and have won big when we do (assuming we take at least one of the final 2, we will win by over 100 points). We lead the overall point total to this date.

Nice to get the win on paper, though. Men's BBall certainly helped. And our CC running team has been making great strides against their team (which is admittedly VERY good every year).

Anyone know how we are stacking up against Iowa? It would be nice to beat both our border rivals.:p

Too much time on my hands....I come up with Minnesota 560, Iowa 220 with softball and the two tracks still to play. I didn't include the baseball sweep...not sure how they would do the points, but you get the picture. The Hawks have a pretty sad athletic department overall.

Men's BBall certainly helped.

I sent the link to a Badger fan friend to get reaction. She immediately came back with "I'm glad your diving team is so good." I said, "I think the real focus here should be on the basketball team's sweep." The response? "Whatever, you know we (UW) had the better team this year." Conversation over.

I sent the link to a Badger fan friend to get reaction. She immediately came back with "I'm glad your diving team is so good." I said, "I think the real focus here should be on the basketball team's sweep." The response? "Whatever, you know we (UW) had the better team this year." Conversation over.

Ah yes, the "we had a better team even though we lost to you twice in our head to head matchups" reasoning. By that standard I think we must have been a better team than Michigan State. I mean, we got swept by them too. :rolleyes:

You should have asked about the Badger

baseball team, oh wait. Actually they would suck if they did have one.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes

our swim teams are pretty good and

Wisconsucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole point of the Border Battle Cup is to pit our athletic department as a whole against theirs. We already know who won the football game. And the basketball games. And the hockey ones. But a lot of people may not see how ALL the women's sports and all the other men's sports do each year. And yes, in terms of revenue and fan viewer-ship, WI may have had the better of us in the 3 big sports (football, hockey, basketball). But they will be the first to tell us how sad our athletic department is. In reality, we are very close. And with us making great strides in talent and performance (sweep bball) the tide could change on the big 3 as well.

That being said it is disappointing that we have lost by so little the last 2 years. But they did win. Oh well, we beat them this time, and got more for our money total-sports wise than they did.

Aren't we second or something for the directors cup? That means we would beat everyone in the nation in a "Border Battle" contest except Stanford, right?

But obviously Wisconsin is better, they just happened to lose. :rolleyes:

Minnesota/Iowa

This would not be interesting as it would always be a one team race. If we were using the same criteria as in the Minnesota/Wisconsin series football would have to be worth 500 points for Iowa to even have a chance. They would never win this series.
They do have good support for football but as a whole the Iowa athletic department is a joke. The funny thing is they think football is the whole thing and that makes them better than we are. Since you should judge an athletic department as a whole maybe Iowa should drop out of the Big Ten.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom