OSU Fan Opinions

kisarazu

Reaction score
Thought I'd investigate where to read some OSU fan opinions.

Benny's House - This was the best forum I could find.
angrybeavs.com - Some good stuff in the comments section.

"Lucas, Collins, and Nall are probably faster than any player on Minnesota. Big question for me is can Garrettson manage the game efficiently and get the playmakers the ball? If so, these guys are too fast…they will run by Minnesota (Big 10 is just always slow). Villamin has the size to dominate any CB in the Country. So, the combination of size and speed makes the offense intriguing here." - angrybeavs

I'm sure OSU fans know about as much as us GH's which would be next to nothing.

I hear they have at least four, maybe five, Randy Moss caliber guys on that offense.

And the mini-nigerian nightmare at RB.

Every fanbase has their nonsensical pollyannas. The morons, the delusional SEC fans, the fair weather fans are more populous outside MN in my experience; and then there are usually voices of reason mixed in but sometimes hard to find. I think most OSU fans understand they may have a tough time on defense for awhile. OTOH, they will probably be improved on offense, but that all hinges on their offense line. Hanging a bunch of points on a BAD Oregon defense does not excite me.

I'd like to think we can win by 10-14 at home vs a rebuilding team but A) Anderson is not a stiff, B) we are breaking in a bunch of important cogs and a new offense. Anything can and will happen in college football. My prediction is OSU cheats against the run early but I think we will be able to pass enough and will be able to run on these guys. Our defense can run and will be able to contain the NFL talent up and down the OSU offense. /s My hope and expectation is this will be the Smith/McCrary coming out party. My suspicion is R. Smith is going to hit some big gainers on the run and the pass. Woli and Still and _____ ( B. Smith?) will have opportunities and Mitch needs to find his zone and hit those play-action throws. Johnson, being a former QB will help him get warmed up in a way Limey/Kill simply obstinately refused to do for the last 5 years. Leidner should/will thrive in this offense if he's not overwhelmed mentally.

And the mini-nigerian nightmare at RB.

Every fanbase has their nonsensical pollyannas. The morons, the delusional SEC fans, the fair weather fans are more populous outside MN in my experience; and then there are usually voices of reason mixed in but sometimes hard to find. I think most OSU fans understand they may have a tough time on defense for awhile. OTOH, they will probably be improved on offense, but that all hinges on their offense line. Hanging a bunch of points on a BAD Oregon defense does not excite me.

I'd like to think we can win by 10-14 at home vs a rebuilding team but A) Anderson is not a stiff, B) we are breaking in a bunch of important cogs and a new offense. Anything can and will happen in college football. My prediction is OSU cheats against the run early but I think we will be able to pass enough and will be able to run on these guys. Our defense can run and will be able to contain the NFL talent up and down the OSU offense. /s My hope and expectation is this will be the Smith/McCrary coming out party. My suspicion is R. Smith is going to hit some big gainers on the run and the pass. Woli and Still and _____ ( B. Smith?) will have opportunities and Mitch needs to find his zone and hit those play-action throws. Johnson, being a former QB will help him get warmed up in a way Limey/Kill simply obstinately refused to do for the last 5 years. Leidner should/will thrive in this offense if he's not overwhelmed mentally.

This time of year is where every fan can talk smack, predict a 70-0 win, and feel great about the season. I even predicted a 45-16 win. Bah, every delusional score gets a pass as far as I'm concerned. On that note, I've reached irrational levels of excitement over our passing game this season!

This time of year is where every fan can talk smack, predict a 70-0 win, and feel great about the season. I even predicted a 45-16 win. Bah, every delusional score gets a pass as far as I'm concerned. On that note, I've reached irrational levels of excitement over our passing game this season!

Well, delusional would be picking a 2 win team, with most of the losses by humiliating scores, to go on the road and win by 45-16. Teams don't normally improve that much year to year. Even a great QB can't fix a bad offensive line or defense.

You score is well within the realm of possibility, although if it comes down to real money I'm a little more circumspect. One of the joys of living on SoCal the last many years has been taking advantage of delusional USC fans (not as annoying as SEC fans I run into). They are routinely favored by 25,30,35 pts against cream puffs and usually fail to cover the spread. Carroll is gone, folks.

OSU seems like a very dangerous team that can shut down our running attack. This is definitely going to be a test for the newly minted Jay Johnson offense.

Their offense scares me.

It may boil down to which defense plays better IMHO.

This will certainly be an important game for the Gophers for many reasons.

OSU Roster: http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/roster/_/id/204/oregon-state-beavers

OSU seems like a very dangerous team that can shut down our running attack. This is definitely going to be a test for the newly minted Jay Johnson offense.

Their offense scares me.

It may boil down to which defense plays better IMHO.

This will certainly be an important game for the Gophers for many reasons.

OSU Roster: http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/roster/_/id/204/oregon-state-beavers

Can you relate why you feel this way? I'm genuinely curious. By every traditional measure, rushing, total, scoring defense OSU was one of the very worst in the country. The advanced stats show the same thing, S&P+ and FEI defense were 113 and 110 in the FBS. If we can't move the ball we ought to be very concerned, first game rustiness and all.

Now they very well could put up points on us but that remains to be seen.

Oregon St was 115th in total defense, 114th in rush defense and 113th in scoring defense last year. That was with Kalani Sitake the new BYU head coach as DC. They do have Utah St's DC so I imagine they will be well coached. They lost about half of their 2 deep including leading tackler Rommel Mageo who transferred to Ole Miss. Can they pull a rabbit out of a hat with a collection of freshmen and JUCOs? Maybe but I doubt it. This will be the first FBS game for like 30 of the guys who are traveling to Minneapolis this week.

As for the offense it has some nice pieces at the skill positions but the OL returns one guy who has taken more than a couple of snaps in FBS. They will start a true freshman at left tackle. Garrettson hasn't played a down in almost 2 years and he is short (like 5'11" at best) so we can assume a majority of his passes will be to the outside. He didn't face man in the two USU games games I watched so that will be test for him as well. His receivers are remarkable athletes but not great at catching the ball. Villamin and Bolden caught barely half of the passes thrown to them. Our top 2 returning pass catchers Lingen and Wolitarsky caught 65%. I am sure Garrettson, Villamin and Bolden will do some flashy things but I doubt it will be enough to win or keep the game close considering how bad their defense is projected to be and the youth on OL. I think the first half will be relatively close before their defense is too fatigued to stop our run game and we will end up winning by a couple scores if not more.

Can you relate why you feel this way? I'm genuinely curious. By every traditional measure, rushing, total, scoring defense OSU was one of the very worst in the country. The advanced stats show the same thing, S&P+ and FEI defense were 113 and 110 in the FBS. If we can't move the ball we ought to be very concerned, first game rustiness and all.

Now they very well could put up points on us but that remains to be seen.

Because Hungan is a Gopher fan.

"Lucas, Collins, and Nall are probably faster than any player on Minnesota. Big question for me is can Garrettson manage the game efficiently and get the playmakers the ball? If so, these guys are too fast…they will run by Minnesota (Big 10 is just always slow). Villamin has the size to dominate any CB in the Country. So, the combination of size and speed makes the offense intriguing here." - angrybeavs

Hard to believe a true Gopher fan would not know about Myrick!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We should probably just award them the victory. Sounds like we have no chance.

Here's some Darrell Garretson from Utah State, he's not a big guy but he's got a nice arm and some mobility.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wd5_GjXlTx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Honestly, not that great of an arm, but seems to have good accuracy.

We heard similar things about Cooper Rush and we shut him down. Rush lit up some pretty good teams including P5. This Garretson has never played against a defense as good as ours (I'll take Claeys at his word there is little to no dropoff). They have had all offseason to roll tape and gameplan. They have a suspect offensive line. Will he be able to step up? Celestin, Travis, Lynn, will break him in half.

ten seconds in the pocket will let any QB look like a superstar.

Their starting left tackle is out, his jr backup is out, and they will be starting a redshirt freshman.

We need to make him feel uncomfortable.

We should all show up to the game naked.

Well, you never know.

How about Claeys does this:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/17k3eKXozN8?start=28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

L et's hope that's not the case. I see according to their roster that Nail is 6'1 233. Hopefully he doesn't have that breakaway speed. Go Gophers

Beaver fan here

Oregon St was 115th in total defense, 114th in rush defense and 113th in scoring defense last year. That was with Kalani Sitake the new BYU head coach as DC. They do have Utah St's DC so I imagine they will be well coached. They lost about half of their 2 deep including leading tackler Rommel Mageo who transferred to Ole Miss. Can they pull a rabbit out of a hat with a collection of freshmen and JUCOs? Maybe but I doubt it. This will be the first FBS game for like 30 of the guys who are traveling to Minneapolis this week.

As for the offense it has some nice pieces at the skill positions but the OL returns one guy who has taken more than a couple of snaps in FBS. They will start a true freshman at left tackle. Garrettson hasn't played a down in almost 2 years and he is short (like 5'11" at best) so we can assume a majority of his passes will be to the outside. He didn't face man in the two USU games games I watched so that will be test for him as well. His receivers are remarkable athletes but not great at catching the ball. Villamin and Bolden caught barely half of the passes thrown to them. Our top 2 returning pass catchers Lingen and Wolitarsky caught 65%. I am sure Garrettson, Villamin and Bolden will do some flashy things but I doubt it will be enough to win or keep the game close considering how bad their defense is projected to be and the youth on OL. I think the first half will be relatively close before their defense is too fatigued to stop our run game and we will end up winning by a couple scores if not more.

I read your post and do agree with some of your points. BTW I have to say that some of the Gopher fans that have come over to Benny's House have been awesome (the best forum-Angry Beavs is a joke) anyway appreciate the classy posters that have come onto our board.

I do want to correct your point about the "true freshman" starting at Left Tackle. Actually he's a redshirt freshman and he's going to be very good eventually. We'll see how he does this season but he is the early stage proto NFL Tackle, 6'7 just under 300 lbs (he weighed 280 when he came in last season and the team overall has worked very hard in the weight room- they are much stronger as a team than last season-Riley did not leave a lot of weight room strength behind when he left for Nebraska).

You are on point with a few points though. We are very young and there are many players that have never played in a D1 game. Our vet receivers (Villamin and Bolden) have had issues with catching the football consistently. The defense is going to be totally different than last season in terms of having more talent (there will be more talent). Something many don't know about last seasons defense is about half way through the year, there were 3 players (walk-ons) that started/played a lot on defense and they all started the year on offense. We also had a starting CB (that had not played hardly at all and he was a receiver that blew out both knees like 2-3 years ago). The other thing here is that the offense was so Anemic (with a true freshman QB that know is playing receiver) that 3 and out was the norm. So our defense would hold some good teams close but after half time, the defense would just fall apart from being so tired (not to mention having a lack of overall talent). That is a recipe for disaster. I know, you think I might just be a homer and I'll admit that I have been a Beaver fan for a looong time but there are a lot of things about this Beaver team that are being overlooked (like those I previously mentioned).

Now, let's get down to the nitty gritty. Our game with the Gophers this Thursday. First off, you guys seem pretty solid in the trenches on both O and D. That could be a problem for us. We actually have an mostly experienced O Line (with exception to the LT and C). I'm concerned with your D Line bull rushing and overpowering us a times. And although people have exaggerated about our receiving corps, they do have the possibility to be really explosive! Seth Collins (last season's true freshman QB is an absolute stud). He is extremely quick and explosive with the ball in his hands and he's multiple threat guy (including throwing). I think your offense will grind on our young defense. I feel that this game will be lower scoring than people think. The Beavs have had success against some of the best teams in the PAC 12 that are running teams (Stanford, Oregon and Utah) and football is about matchups! But then again, we're young and traveling back east to play so..... Both teams have coaching changes and coordinator changes. This may sound over simplistic but the team that turns over the ball less and makes the most plays will win. I think there will be 44 or less points total and whoever wins, will win by one score or less. We'll see!

Good luck and I just hope both teams come out healthy.

Go Beavs!

Darrel Garretson

Here's some Darrell Garretson from Utah State, he's not a big guy but he's got a nice arm and some mobility.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wd5_GjXlTx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The best thing Garretson has going for him is his football IQ in this offense. Our current QB coach/ Co- OC coordinator is the same guy Garretson had a Utah State as a freshman. So Garretson has been in this offense for basically 4 seasons.

Go Beavs!

Honestly, not that great of an arm, but seems to have good accuracy.

We heard similar things about Cooper Rush and we shut him down. Rush lit up some pretty good teams including P5. This Garretson has never played against a defense as good as ours (I'll take Claeys at his word there is little to no dropoff). They have had all offseason to roll tape and gameplan. They have a suspect offensive line. Will he be able to step up? Celestin, Travis, Lynn, will break him in half.

What about his spiral? Nothing else matters if he doesn't throw a tight spiral.

The main thing that I learned is that Oregon State's players are super fast, and ours are super slow, because we only care about sitting on our opponents - even our defensive backs are slow.

Top Bottom