Oregon the most undervalued team in the country?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
There are two teams in the AP Top 25 who have yet to defeat a RPI top-50 opponent, #7 Maryland and #24 South Carolina. Listed below is the AP top 25, the current number of RPI top-50 wins, and the best & worst top-50 win for each team.

vs. = neutral site
@ = road game
neither = home game

AP Top 25
1 Oklahoma (3): vs. #1 Villanova, #22 West Virginia
2 North Carolina (3): #9 Maryland, vs. #47 UCLA
3 Kansas (5): #2 Oklahoma, vs. #47 UCLA
4 Villanova (6): #4 Xavier, vs. #48 Stanford
5 Xavier (5): vs. #10 Dayton, vs. #49 Alabama
6 West Virginia (1): #5 Kansas
7 Maryland (0): (best win vs. #65 UConn)
8 SMU (3): vs. #25 Colorado, @ #48 Stanford
9 Iowa (6): @ #28 Purdue, #42 Florida State
10 Texas A&M (3): vs. #14 Texas, #19 Florida
11 Michigan State (4): vs. #5 Kansas, vs. #24 Providence
12 Arizona (1): @ #48 Stanford
T13 Baylor (2): @ #13 Iowa State, @ #31 Texas Tech
T13 Virginia (6): #1 Villanova, #50 Cal
15 Miami (4): #19 Florida, vs. #43 Butler
16 Providence (3): vs. #23 Arizona, #43 Butler
17 Louisville (2): #39 Pitt, #42 Florida State
18 Butler (1): vs. #28 Purdue
19 Iowa State (4): #2 Oklahoma, #31 Texas Tech
20 Duke (1): #46 Indiana
21 USC (4): #23 Arizona, @ #47 UCLA
22 Purdue (3): vs. #19 Florida, @ #39 Pitt
23 Kentucky (3): #20 Louisville, @ #49 Alabama
24 South Carolina (0): (best win #53 Vanderbilt)
25 Indiana (1): vs. #36 Notre Dame

Team of note absent from the AP top 25? Oregon.

The Ducks (#7 in the RPI) are 14-4 and have a nation-high 8 RPI top-50 wins, with 4 of those coming from outside the Pac 12: #18 Baylor; #26 Valpo; #40 UC-Irvine; and @ #49 Alabama. Baylor (Big XII), Valpo (Horizon), and UC-Irvine (Big West) lead their respective conferences.

Probably should be a spot for Oregon in the top 25 next week if they beat UCLA on Saturday?

I think this is more telling of how bad the RPI is. Oregon is a borderline top 25 which is right where the polls have them. KenPom has Oregon at 25, and Sagarin has them at 29. UC-Irvine and Alabama are rated far lower in these rankings compared to the RPI.

I think this is more telling of how bad the RPI is. Oregon is a borderline top 25 which is right where the polls have them. KenPom has Oregon at 25, and Sagarin has them at 29. UC-Irvine and Alabama are rated far lower in these rankings compared to the RPI.

Fair points.

I was more surprised that Maryland hasn't really beaten anyone of note yet. Terps certainly have the goods to cut down the nets, but to this point when you look at who they've played their resume is more suspect than most of the other top-shelf teams.

Fair points.

I was more surprised that Maryland hasn't really beaten anyone of note yet. Terps certainly have the goods to cut down the nets, but to this point when you look at who they've played their resume is more suspect than most of the other top-shelf teams.

That is surprising, but they'll get a shot in the next two games. The Big Ten is interesting this year. I thought the conference would be mediocre coming into the season, but surprised me during non-conference play. Now the conference is looking more mediocre again.

RPI is a truly awful metric. That being said Oregon is 25th in Kenpom, and probably will be ranked soon enough

Fair points.

Ehh.....I disagree, and pretty strongly

Top Bottom