Oregon State's Rose Bowl drought reaches 45 years

Jike Spingleton

Traveling Champ
Reaction score
Beavers let a great chance to end the Pac-10's 2nd longest Rose Bowl drought slip away last night. Very poor tackling in the second half prevented their offense from getting the opportunity to pull the upset late.

Oregon State's last trip to the Rose Bowl was 1964, just three years after ours. I grew up with OSU football in the bleak years, before going to the U of M. Apparently I'm just destined to never see either play in Pasadena.

Their program was even more wretched through the 70s, 80s and 90s, but they've become a fixture in the Pac-10 race this decade. That is the program I want the Gophers to have: be a consistent bowl team, and every few years, if things break the right way, have a chance to win the conference.

That is the program I want the Gophers to have: be a consistent bowl team, and every few years, if things break the right way, have a chance to win the conference.

Ditto.

I love the Pacific Northwest. My second school of interest was always Oregon until they got those obnoxious uniforms and beat the gophs in the '99 Sun Bowl. I was rooting for OSU last night. Good game. I think the thing most frustrating as a gopher fan is we've seen every team in the conference except Indiana and MSU go to a BCS bowl in the last 10 years. My hope is the stadium will do for our football program what new stadiums and arenas have done for other schools.

Beavers let a great chance to end the Pac-10's 2nd longest Rose Bowl drought slip away last night. Very poor tackling in the second half prevented their offense from getting the opportunity to pull the upset late.

Oregon State's last trip to the Rose Bowl was 1964, just three years after ours. I grew up with OSU football in the bleak years, before going to the U of M. Apparently I'm just destined to never see either play in Pasadena.

Their program was even more wretched through the 70s, 80s and 90s, but they've become a fixture in the Pac-10 race this decade. That is the program I want the Gophers to have: be a consistent bowl team, and every few years, if things break the right way, have a chance to win the conference.
Mike Riley has been great twice for that program (probably wishes he didn't go to the NFL). Whether Brewster develops into this or not, I hope we find a coach who is balanced across the board (recruiting, coaching, academics, ect.), strives to continuously improve, and wants to stay at the U for the long haul.

Once #21 got hurt in the second half last night they lost all their steam it seemed like.

Can't kick field goals and expect to beat Oregon, although I thought they should have tried that long FG with about 6 minutes left to make it 36-37.

Years since last Rose Bowl:

Ohio State - 0
Oregon - 0
Penn State - 1
Southern Cal - 1
Illinois - 2
Michigan - 3
Washington State - 7
Purdue - 9
Washington - 9
Stanford - 10
Wisconsin - 10