Oregon retains Ernie Kent

Agreed. It seems like many Oregon fans have awfully short memories. I can understand why they would have some frustration with the last couple seasons but as the article pointed out, he is the winningest coach in school history. That should be enough to give him some more time to turn things around.

Kent's teams at Oregon have always been suspect on the defensive end, but then again, what Pac-10 team isn't (pre-Ben Howland)?

The Ducks greatest teams under Kent, in my mind, have been teams loaded on the offensive end. I haven't seen too many Ernie Kent teams that have "out-performed" their potential.

I believe recruiting is Ernie Kent's greatest talent. And he's probably the 4th or 5th best recruiter in the Pac-10. Oregon's best players over the years have chosen to slip away to Gonzaga, UCLA or elsewhere. (Love, Stepp, Dunleavy, Stoudamire)

Kent has not been embroiled in scandal and, like SS said, he has enjoyed some success at Oregon. I want to root for the guy because I love the Ducks (#2 in my heart), but it's a strange situation because there may come a time that change is good for a program. But I do agree that in this day and age of "RESULTS NOW AND AT ANY COST" it is a good thing to give a guy a year or so to work things out.

It is so rare that Athletic Directors allow coaches the chance to right the ship.

Top Bottom