Opening Kickoff - Should we have challenged?

WadeHokenson

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed a discussion on another thread, but why did we not challenge the opening kickoff, or why was it not challenged from the booth?

My understanding is that once the returner stepped out of the endzone, and then took a knee in the endzone, it should have been classified as a safety? Granted we intercepted the first play, but how does that not get noticed by anybody in the booth, Gophers or Replay? Thought me missed an early opportunity.

Thank you for the clarification. The announcers mentioned the guy making a stupid decision and needing to know his awareness on the field, so I was curious.

Yup, it was very close. I never actually saw it on TV so I can't confirm if it was a blown call or not. But the ball does have to cross the plane before it is a live ball. I can only assume the replay officials saw conclusive evidence that it didn't need to be reviewed.

Got you. Yeah, I don't believe the ball crossed at all, but his foot stepped into the field of play outside of the endzone, so that's what I was curious about. Thanks again!

Top Bottom