One Vegas analytic not liking Gophs thru 2

swingman

Reaction score
Collin Wilson's Action Network analytics comes up with a 77.5 power rating for Gophs.

Compare with:
UNC at 85.5 (24th)...implies Gophs 11.5 point dogs in Chapel Hill this week...

Bucky at 85 (27th)...WI by 4.5 here
Ferentz at 81...IA by 6.5 there
Illini 80...push here
MSU 77.5...field goal here
Purdue 76...we would be dogs there
Louisiana 65.5
NW 64

Need to be more efficient on offense...have shown some on pass game, some on run game, need to get both to click

The computer is more impressed with Illinois and Wisconsin than I am.

From the highlights I've seen, Purdue looks better than I thought they would.

Iowa is... Iowa.
Purdue is going to be interesting. I think they’re a decent team. A team that would win 6-8 wins in most years

They play one of the more challenging schedules I’ve ever seen.
11 power 5 teams. And they already lost to Fresno.

The computer is more impressed with Illinois and Wisconsin than I am.

From the highlights I've seen, Purdue looks better than I thought they would.

Iowa is... Iowa.
I agree.

#1. Iowa
2,3,4 In no particular order.....WI, ILL, MN

At least until proven otherwise.

Purdue is going to be interesting. I think they’re a decent team. A team that would win 6-8 wins in most years

I think people have had a tendency to underestimate Fresno State.

Jeff Tedford can coach. They were 10-4 last season, and won the Mountain West.

Collin Wilson's Action Network analytics comes up with a 77.5 power rating for Gophs.

Compare with:
UNC at 85.5 (24th)...implies Gophs 11.5 point dogs in Chapel Hill this week...

Bucky at 85 (27th)...WI by 4.5 here
Ferentz at 81...IA by 6.5 there
Illini 80...push here
MSU 77.5...field goal here
Purdue 76...we would be dogs there
Louisiana 65.5
NW 64

Need to be more efficient on offense...have shown some on pass game, some on run game, need to get both to click

Well, I don't bet. But if those were the actual spreads, I'd pick Minnesota and take the points vs. North Carolina, Wisconsin, and Iowa. I like Iowa's team and their smash mouth style, but... 6.5 points? That's a lot.

I like Minnesota at even money at home vs. Illinois. Illinois looks to have taken a step back.

I think Minnesota beats MSU by more than 3. We stomped them last year at East Lansing. And now it sounds like the Spartans are dealing with a scandal.

Purdue scares me a little.

Zach Edey makes for an impressive tight end!

I think people have had a tendency to underestimate Fresno State.

Jeff Tedford can coach. They were 10-4 last season, and won the Mountain West.
Yes! That makes the schedule even more difficult

They only have two easy games on the schedule and they are Indiana and northwestern. Those are the last two games and they may be 2-8 or 3-7 by the time they finally get there

Last edited:

Yes! That makes the schedule even more difficult

They only have two east games on the schedule and they are Indiana and northwestern. Those are the last two games and they may be 2-8 or 3-7 by the time they finally get there

I still remember the two games we played vs Fresno State. Thrilling.

I think of them as "The Winfield Games".

Purdue's QB is one of the best 4 in the conference. He scares the crap out of me.

A computer ranking based solely on the past two games won't do them justice for multiple reasons. I won't fret about it. Other computer rankings like Massey have them higher.

I think the Gophs learned some important things yesterday in the run game (both blocking and situational RBs) which should benefit them in the long run.

Gophers have looked good on defense, but have had the second fewest defensive plays in P5 over two games. Not clear how defense will perform if stuck on the field for lots of plays in 2nd half. Get gassed and falter? We probably find out next week. Bottom Line: I trust Rossi, who always makes good adjustments as the game progresses. Can defense keep turning the ball over, giving our “developing” offense some short fields?

On offense, we have been pedestrian. Inability to score TDs in red zone will be a big problem when matched against high-test offenses. Maybe the emergence of Taylor helps. Offensive play design for red zone feels lackluster at moment. TD passes matter, too. AK’s 2 INTs vs 1 TD is a concerning trend; has got to reverse soon. Ideally next week. Perhaps Elijah Spencer finally makes a meaningful appearance on the stat sheet?

It feels as though the Gopher offense is trying to find itself after relying on Mo so much. It certainly is developing its new character. But it needs to take another big step next week, given the scoring ability of our opponent. Go Gophers.

I don’t blame them, could have easily lost to Nebraska, just not making plays on offense.

Top Bottom