One and Done players

THE Chitown Gopher

Reaction score
In watching Ohio State dominate this season (they are a great team), I wondered how amazing of a team they would be with Oden, Connley and Turner still on the team. Since they all (legitimately) left for the NBA early when does this catch up to a programs graduation rate?

I was under the impression that programs would loose schollys if certain graduation rates/academic standards were not met? Is this accurate or am I in la la land?

For programs like osu, KY and others to have players not in school for three consecutive semesters is a travesty(I know-add it to the list). There should be some consequence for going after one and done players outside of the limited use of their services.

(how these star players continue to go to the $ame program$ is another story)

In watching Ohio State dominate this season (they are a great team), I wondered how amazing of a team they would be with Oden, Connley and Turner still on the team. Since they all (legitimately) left for the NBA early when does this catch up to a programs graduation rate?

I was under the impression that programs would loose schollys if certain graduation rates/academic standards were not met? Is this accurate or am I in la la land?

For programs like osu, KY and others to have players not in school for three consecutive semesters is a travesty(I know-add it to the list). There should be some consequence for going after one and done players outside of the limited use of their services.

(how these star players continue to go to the $ame program$ is another story)

So long as player(s) leave in good academic standing, the program gets 3/4 points available.

So long as player(s) leave in good academic standing, the program gets 3/4 points available.

How many of those one and done player don't even attend class second semester. I know it happens but not sure how often.

The big issue with these kids is really how many even want to attend college but are only doing it because of NBA rules. Colleges are used and in turn use these athletes to benefit both parties. I really don't want to penalize the schools because they have recruited the best players and those kids in turn leave after a year. Clearly the kids are taking advantage of a rule by not attending class but the school is an "ends to a means" to their journey to the pros. (Clearly not a ground breaking comment).

I'd take a few one and dones every once in awhile but it's nice to follow these kids for a few years as well. At the end of the day though you need a coach who not only recruits these type of players but also allows their skills to be showcased during the year they are in school. OSU, Kentucky etc have those type of coaches. Not sure Tubby fits that mold.

It immediately catches up with their graduation rate, but I think what you're referring to is the APR, or Academic Progress Rate. Programs do not necessarily lose scholarships, but they could, based on their APR.

To try to keep this high level, let me give you an example. For a school with a semester calendar, each term there are two points that can be earned related to a student-athlete - one for eligibility and another for retention. If a player leaves early for the NBA, but is in good academic standing, the school can receive a "1/1" score for the term (1 for eligibility, but they are not directly penalized with a 0/1 for the retention component.. it's a 0/0). Now, if a kid is going pro and stops going to class and fails, the institution would receive a 1/2.

If your school has a perfect APR rate before considering guys that leave early for the NBA or transfer, but the guys that leave early do so in good academic standing, your school will still have a perfect APR rate.

If your school doesn't have a perfect APR rate, the fact that the guys leaving early only earn you a 1/1 (instead of a 2/2) means that mathematically their leaving early has a dilutive impact on the school's APR... but with the denominator being quite large, it's not very significant.

I'm sure Sullinger's class schedule loooked something like this in the Fall Semester.

Intro to Basket Weaving 101
History of Basketball & Theory 201
Dealing with the Media 101
The Art of the Chicken Wing Hook and Not Getting Called For It 301

All he had to do was pass 2 of those 4 classes and then he doesn't have to attend a single class in the Spring.

Nice loophole.

Gophers BB APR took a hit when Devoe left for OR since he was academically non-qualifying when he left according to a statement Tubby made on his show. So even if it's not a one and done, a player leaving can hurt if he's failing.

How many of those one and done player don't even attend class second semester. I know it happens but not sure how often.

I don't know, either - but at UK (for EG) 3 of the 4 "1 & Done" frosh who left for NBA attended and passed their 2nd semester classes. Only Daniel Orton blow off the 2nd semester classes.

I'm just going to come out and say it. O$U represents everything that is wrong with College Basketball.

If all those players stayed at OSU, they would be probably unstoppable if Oden stayed healthy.

Matta's track record of getting guys to buy in and play team basketball is pretty good. I didn't see a lot of ego in the Buckeyes last year, even with Turner getting a lot of shots, and this year he has another talented team that appears to have zero problem playing unselfishly. A bunch of 5-star talent doesn't necessarily mean selfish basketball, as Matta has proven.

I'm not sure how well that would work, unless they could play with more than 1 basketball.

+ 1,000,000,000,000,000,000

Not enough minutes and shots to go around. OSU keeps getting 5* star talent because they have plenty of roster space after each season. They are basically a minor league basketball team.

Matta's track record of getting guys to buy in and play team basketball is pretty good. I didn't see a lot of ego in the Buckeyes last year, even with Turner getting a lot of shots, and this year he has another talented team that appears to have zero problem playing unselfishly. A bunch of 5-star talent doesn't necessarily mean selfish basketball, as Matta has proven.

Fair... they may buy in, but that doesn't mean they will be a successful TEAM.

Out of curiosity, how do you define a successful TEAM?

Combining 2009-10 and 2010-11, Ohio State is 54-9 with a 29-5 record vs. Big Ten competition (including BTT games). They have a Big Ten regular-season co-championship, a BTT championship, an appearance in the Sweet 16 (granted, an unexpected early exit), and they appear well on their way to another regular-season title. By my definition that's a successful team/program.

I agree with SS. OSU is not a program that has had the "infighting" issues associated with selfish teams. I'm guessing you have to look at their coach as the reason.

Out of curiosity, how do you define a successful TEAM?

Combining 2009-10 and 2010-11, Ohio State is 54-9 with a 29-5 record vs. Big Ten competition (including BTT games). They have a Big Ten regular-season co-championship, a BTT championship, an appearance in the Sweet 16 (granted, an unexpected early exit), and they appear well on their way to another regular-season title. By my definition that's a successful team/program.

Right! They have been successful with players leaving early and new ones stepping in! "If" everyone stuck around (which I thought was the point here) I was questioning whether that would have worked so well.

Top Bottom