On the Bright Side...

Reaction score
On the bright side, the Gophers are not on the same side as Wisconsin on the BTT bracket. We have to play Rutgers which I mean if they lose this, something is very wrong and then we would play Ohio St. who got killed to Wisconsin in Columbus more than Wisconsin beat us and we went into OT with them losing by only 2. If we were to win that we would play Michigan St.. Now we all know what happened that game when we played them but Michigan St. will probably be stronger than before them knowing that we beat them and this would be a rematch of the 2010 BTT when the Gophers made a run and we had to play the 3rd seed Michigan St. Spartans in the quarter finals and we beat them in OT. If we were to win that one we would more than likely have to play a tough Maryland team if Indiana or some other team does not upset the Terps. This game would be tough. I could actually see the Gophers making it to the semis as a dark horse team bringing out the fury they had when they played Ohio St. earlier this year and when they beat Mich. St. on the road, but this game would be tough to win as Maryland is just as good if not better than Wisconsin in some respects. All I can say is the Gophers do have some sort of shot being on this side of the bracket. The only time we would have to play Wisconsin is the Championship game. Hope Wiscy gets upset by Michigan or Illinois that would be great.

On the bright side, the Gophers are not on the same side as Wisconsin on the BTT bracket. We have to play Rutgers which I mean if they lose this, something is very wrong and then we would play Ohio St. who got killed to Wisconsin in Columbus more than Wisconsin beat us and we went into OT with them losing by only 2. If we were to win that we would play Michigan St.. Now we all know what happened that game when we played them but Michigan St. will probably be stronger than before them knowing that we beat them and this would be a rematch of the 2010 BTT when the Gophers made a run and we had to play the 3rd seed Michigan St. Spartans in the quarter finals and we beat them in OT. If we were to win that one we would more than likely have to play a tough Maryland team if Indiana or some other team does not upset the Terps. This game would be tough. I could actually see the Gophers making it to the semis as a dark horse team bringing out the fury they had when they played Ohio St. earlier this year and when they beat Mich. St. on the road, but this game would be tough to win as Maryland is just as good if not better than Wisconsin in some respects. All I can say is the Gophers do have some sort of shot being on this side of the bracket. The only time we would have to play Wisconsin is the Championship game. Hope Wiscy gets upset by Michigan or Illinois that would be great.

How about we beat Rutgers first?

Hope I'm not putting on the jinx, but Rutgers is the only team in the tournament I think we're absolutely not capable of losing to. That would be embarrassing.

Season was a complete mess, but it would make things a whole lot bearable for me if I can settle in late Friday night with a bunch of rocket sauce to watch the U and Sparty tangle again.

Hope I'm not putting on the jinx, but Rutgers is the only team in the tournament I think we're absolutely not capable of losing to. That would be embarrassing.

Don't underestimate this Gopher squad; if they put their minds to it, they can lose to anybody. That said, I also expect a win on Wednesday.

Hope I'm not putting on the jinx, but Rutgers is the only team in the tournament I absolutely think we're not capable of losing to. That would be embarrassing.

It's not a worry that WE think ahead. Let's just hope the players don't. Face it folks - we are not going to win the BTT. The odds of winning 5 in a row with this squad are staggeringly bad. But it sure would be nice to still be playing on Saturday so that the season could end on a somewhat positive vibe.

I would love to be put to shame with this post come Sunday afternoon- in fact I'm begging for it. :)

I could actually see the Gophers making it to the semis as a dark horse team bringing out the fury they had when they played Ohio St. earlier this year and when they beat Mich. St. on the road, but this game would be tough to win as Maryland is just as good if not better than Wisconsin in some respects. All I can say is the Gophers do have some sort of shot being on this side of the bracket.

I agree that they have a better shot on this side of the bracket and may have some advantage in starting out with a warmup game (assuming that they do beat Rutgers since nothing is a gimme with this team) before Thursday's game. I can't see this team winning three games, though. Two wins will give them a 19-15 record, will salvage some sense of respectability heading into the NIT, and may be enough to get them a #3 seed in that tournament. We'll have to see what happens in other conference tournaments because some mediocre ACC, SEC, or PAC12 teams could also pull off a couple of wins in their tournaments.

Don't underestimate this Gopher squad; if they put their minds to it, they can lose to anybody. That said, I also expect a win on Wednesday.

Agreed. Maybe we'll have to wait for the NIT until they dedicate themselves to losing to an underdog (maybe something on the order of a home loss to UTEP).

. ... Face it folks - we are not going to win the BTT. The odds of winning 5 in a row with this squad are staggeringly bad. But it sure would be nice to still be playing on Saturday.

Like Breakin' The Plane said above, I'll settle for making it to Quarterfinal Friday. It's the best and most exciting day of the tournament, and I'd like the Gophers to be a part of it.

It will tell a lot about Pitino if he can rally the troops into the quarter final. Right now this team seems disinterested and can't wait for the season to be over.

Yes, although we've already lost to every other crap team in the conference -- Penn State, Northwestern, Nebraska, and Michigan (though they still had their full team when we played them). Losing to Rutgers would certainly add some symmetry to wrap up the year.

Yes, although we've already lost to every other crap team in the conference -- Penn State, Northwestern, Nebraska, and Michigan (though they still had their full team when we played them). Losing to Rutgers would certainly add some symmetry to wrap up the year.

I think we deserve an exemption from losing to Rutgers because we've suffered enough with our 1-5 record against the Northwestern-PSU-Michigan-Nebraska collective.

Top Bottom